• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Celebrity Satanists

The Robert Johnson/Devil/Crossroads thing is probably the result of him being mixed up with Tommy Johnson, another blues guitarist from the same time, who was played by Chris Thomas-King in "O'Brother, where art Thou?".

Re: Jacques Vallee?

Philo_T said:
As for Hubbard and Parson's moonchild workings, did Marjorie Cameron actually have a child about then? (Is "Rosemary's Baby" partially a reference to this?)

This is the best site about him around:

http://www.babalon.net/

And an EARLIER THREAD

And was it successful? I don't think she had a child with Parsons, but she did eventually have a child (though I can't quite remember where I read it)

H_James said:
Marilyn Manson?
Perhaps there should be a distinction made between "famous people who are satanists" amd "famous people who say they are satanists" though it may not be such an important difference as all that.

Is he really a Satanist? I thought that was an urban myth?

gncxx said:
H_James said:
Marilyn Manson?
Perhaps there should be a distinction made between "famous people who are satanists" amd "famous people who say they are satanists" though it may not be such an important difference as all that.

Yep, he's in the church.

tonyblair11 said:
gncxx said:
H_James said:
Marilyn Manson?

Yep, he's in the church.

Over the years I'v always suspected him of being a member , but certain people (usually goths) insist he is not . I remember an article in Metal Hammer about 3 years ago all about the Church of Satan (they are even planning a theme park in LA apparently) - it had pictures of Manson with Anton LaVey (although strictly not evidence of him being a member it is certainly enough to arouse suspicion ).

gerardwilkie said:
I remember an article in Metal Hammer about 3 years ago all about the Church of Satan (they are even planning a theme park in LA apparently) - it had pictures of Manson with Anton LaVey.

Hey cool. That sounds like it could be a laugh.
And if not, then at the very least, it would be interesting...

Wasn't Anton La Vey ostracised (sp?) by the COS in the end??

Let us remember that MM used to be a rock journalist and so has a good idea of how to part teenagers from their money. It involves shocking their parents. ;)

A good way to do that is to let the public believe that you are a Satanist.

(What a Satanist really IS, doesn't matter - the point is to let the 'rents get hysterical over devil-worshipping.)

Whether or not MM is really a Satanist is again beside the point, as long as enough people think he is, and the COS won't object as leading on the gullible public for one's own ends is an admirably Satanist course of action. 8)

My youngest lives in the Blurrrrk Cooontreeeeeeee and sees Planty now and then, tootling around Kidderminster in his Range Rover with the unobtrusive 'symbols'-decorated personalised ZEP numberplates. :D

Maybe he should attend his local black mass and get to know Planty better?

Plant seems such a sweet bloke. I can't imagine why folk ever mistook any of the Zeps for 'S'atanists - even Page.

Gaahl ~ now there I can understand the assumption (also not a 'S'atanist), but the Zeps are and were a pretty well-lit group of blokes. Dark themes in one's life / music do not a 'S'atanist make.

Plant seems such a sweet bloke. I can't imagine why folk ever mistook any of the Zeps for 'S'atanists - even Page.

Gaahl ~ now there I can understand the assumption (also not a 'S'atanist), but the Zeps are and were a pretty well-lit group of blokes. Dark themes in one's life / music do not a 'S'atanist make.

Plant was interested in Celtic Mysticism in the early 70s.

Plant seems such a sweet bloke.

Gratuitous Planty-themed, possibly repeated anecdote here -

Saw him from behind. Didn't recognise him, just saw a longhaired man, yum!

Walked past him, took a sneaky peek back, and looked straight into his face as he smirked a 'Yes my dear, it's ME!' type of grin. :cooll:

:omg:

Scargy continued walking, straight into the wall. :rolleyes:

Another, caveats as above-

Youngest lives in the West Midlands, as mentioned. A friend of hers was out with mates and they spotted Planty in the pub. One went a bit off his head about it and wanted to chat with him. Nooo, his friends warned him, he HATES that!

However, yon la' decided to fetch his guitar case from the car and ask Planty to autograph it. His friends groaned and facepalmed as he strolled over and greeted his hero. They watched as he produced the guitar case and, yes, Planty did indeed accept the marker pen and write on it...

On the lad's return he proudly showed the guitar case with Planty's signature, which actually read...

BOLLOCKS

:evillaugh:

An interesting extra is mentioned in this review for the Devil's Rain at DVD Drive-In:
"Consulting with the Devil" (10:17) is an interview with interview with the Church of Satan's High Priest Peter H. Gilmore and High Priestess Peggy Nadramia who draw upon LaVey's notes about his work as consultant on the film, including designing the costumes, various accessories, input into the script and rituals (noting the presence in the novelization of some material that he scuttled), and teaching the Spanish extras Enochian for the chanting. They also reveal that he was a great admirer of Phillips who had shot his favorite film YANCO (1961), as well as of Lupino as actress and filmmaker, and that he had even performed a success ritual for Travolta (who would soon land his star-making turn on WELCOME BACK, KOTTER!). "Hail Satan!" (8:04) is interview with LaVey biographer Blanche Barton who provides a bit of background on the Church of Satan, the difference between lesser and greater magic, LaVey's working relationship with Fuest (she suggests that he also consulted on one of the Phibes films), Shatner being put off that LaVey got more coverage in the Mexican press than he did, and his admiration of Travolta's apparently dead-on Marilyn Monroe impersonations.

Another, caveats as above-

Youngest lives in the West Midlands, as mentioned. A friend of hers was out with mates and they spotted Planty in the pub. One went a bit off his head about it and wanted to chat with him. Nooo, his friends warned him, he HATES that!

However, yon la' decided to fetch his guitar case from the car and ask Planty to autograph it. His friends groaned and facepalmed as he strolled over and greeted his hero. They watched as he produced the guitar case and, yes, Planty did indeed accept the marker pen and write on it...

On the lad's return he proudly showed the guitar case with Planty's signature, which actually read...

BOLLOCKS

:evillaugh:
Wow plant sound like a right prat.its such shity thing to do.

Merely his weary attempt to derive some personal amusement from the most mundane part of celebrity life. I'd treasure his benediction all the more for that.

"Hey lads. You won't believe what Planty did when I asked for his sig. Check it out! He's such a gas. Class".

Back