• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cemetery Strangeness (IHTM)

luvpixie

Junior Acolyte
I live opposite a quite large old cemetery, and from my bedroom window I can clearly see the gates and part of a path/drive that leads to one of two chapels and beyond. Last week on Thursday night at 3.00ish, I dunno why but I couldn`t sleep. I think the room must`ve been too hot. So I got up and opened the window and sat for a moment to have a crafty ciggie and cool down. Then this bloke appeared out of nowhere. I hadn`t heard him walk by my house, which is unsual, because I should have heard his approach, but he seemed to have come from the opposite direction that I was facing. I only noticed him when he was about five paces from the cemetery gates into which he turned and was obscured from view by the brick gate post. I should have been able to see him walking up the path/drive towards the first chapel, but he never reappeared after going behind the gate post. He just wasn`t there. I would have seen if he turned left or right once he passed through the gates but he didn`t. The man seemed to be young and wearing modern clothes.... hoody and I think jeans with a jacket type coat over the top. I dunno what to think. I feel a bit funny about it though because people don`t usually disappear do they? :/

Last edited by a moderator:
I live opposite a quite large old cemetery, and from my bedroom window I can clearly see the gates and part of a path/drive that leads to one of two chapels and beyond. Last week on Thursday night at 3.00ish, I dunno why but I couldn`t sleep. I think the room must`ve been too hot. So I got up and opened the window and sat for a moment to have a crafty ciggie and cool down. Then this bloke appeared out of nowhere. I hadn`t heard him walk by my house, which is unsual, because I should have heard his approach, but he seemed to have come from the opposite direction that I was facing. I only noticed him when he was about five paces from the cemetery gates into which he turned and was obscured from view by the brick gate post. I should have been able to see him walking up the path/drive towards the first chapel, but he never reappeared after going behind the gate post. He just wasn`t there. I would have seen if he turned left or right once he passed through the gates but he didn`t. The man seemed to be young and wearing modern clothes.... hoody and I think jeans with a jacket type coat over the top. I dunno what to think. I feel a bit funny about it though because people don`t usually disappear do they? :/

Brilliant! Reminds me of the scene in the fillum, is it Ghost? Where a girl waves flirtily to a man and then walks into a monument and disappears.
You might like to take out the actual location though!

luvpixie:

If I understand correctly the mystery figure was seen walking away from you.

Now, not to scare you or anything, but ...

How much sound would you have made opening the window?

By the time you'd opened the window, lit your cigarette, and looked out on the landscape a person who'd been outside your house (and spooked by your obvious signs of stirring and possible objective of checking the grounds) could well have been retreating to a location where he could hide from further view.

luvpixie:

By the time you'd opened the window, lit your cigarette, and looked out on the landscape a person who'd been outside your house (and spooked by your obvious signs of stirring and possible objective of checking the grounds) could well have been retreating to a location where he could hide from further view.
Yes, he may have been hiding. Somebody walking about at that time is probably up to no good.

luvpixie:

I might have made some noise when I opened the window as it`s an old fashioned sash window, but I`m sure I`d have seen him when I opened it because it was literally seconds before I sat down to have my ciggie and he just seemed to be there, he didn`t look suspicious or shifty or spooked by me opening the window, he was just walking normally. then he turned into through the gate and was gone. He might have been hiding I suppose, but I reckon I`d have seen his shadow on the ground or something and he couldn`t have veered off the path because I would have been able to see him. I`m not explaining myself very well. I`m not brilliant at words.

Brilliant! Reminds me of the scene in the fillum, is it Ghost? Where a girl waves flirtily to a man and then walks into a monument and disappears.
You might like to take out the actual location though!

I dunno how to edit, Escargot. :/

Last edited:
It's OK, I understood you! As it was late at night, could you have nodded off in a microsleep (that is a term, isn't it?) and snapped back to reality in time for the bloke to have wandered out of vision without you realising what had happened?

Yes, he may have been hiding. Somebody walking about at that time is probably up to no good.

He didn`t look as though he wanted to hide, by the way he was walking. Casual, if you know what I mean. Loads of people use the cemetery as a thoroughfare and short cut to get into town but none of them ever disappeared behind the gate post before. Something is definitely odd about the way this bloke did last week though.

It's OK, I understood you! As it was late at night, could you have nodded off in a microsleep (that is a term, isn't it?) and snapped back to reality in time for the bloke to have wandered out of vision without you realising what had happened?

It`s possible I spose, but I really don`t think I did. Weird though.

@luvpixie Do you live on the ground floor, as in are your windows at street level?

It`s possible I spose, but I really don`t think I did. Weird though.

I remember a few years ago I was looking out of the window when a car driving by suddenly disappeared. I had "zoned out" for a few seconds, creating the illusion of the vanishing. It's only happened once to me, so is probably quite rare, but maybe that happened to you too?

Cool story, luvpixie! I think you saw a ghost. lol Were you scared when he just disappeared like that or did you just go back to bed and mull it over in your head until it bothered you?

I live across the street from a giant old cemetery too. I live in a apartment building and my unit location limits my view of it. I've never seen anything strange. I hardly even notice it.

I remember a few years ago I was looking out of the window when a car driving by suddenly disappeared. I had "zoned out" for a few seconds, creating the illusion of the vanishing. It's only happened once to me, so is probably quite rare, but maybe that happened to you too?

It`s not impossible that could have happened. I was wide awake though. He seemed to just blink on for at most ten seconds and then blink off again.

Cool story, luvpixie! I think you saw a ghost. lol Were you scared when he just disappeared like that or did you just go back to bed and mull it over in your head until it bothered you?

I live across the street from a giant old cemetery too. I live in a apartment building and my unit location limits my view of it. I've never seen anything strange. I hardly even notice it.

Well I was more shocked than afraid at first, but I sat there until I finished my cig and then went and made a cuppa. Ijust sat wondering what the heck just happened. I slept fine when i got back to bed. I told Mr pixie about it in the morning and he reckoned I`d imagined it. I dint though. I`m not given to imaginings normally.

could itve been a rough sleeper, depending on temperature/weather, ducked down into shrubbery for the night

I doubt that, Henry. There`s nowhere for anyone to go apart from forwards as there`s a wall at about waist height either side of the path/drive and `d have been able to see him climb on to it. I have no explanation about what I saw.

Drug dealer, ducking down in the gateway to do a deal?

NOTE: Owing to legalities regarding personally identifiable information, luvpixie is not obligated to post either a photo or a map that reveals her geographic location. Of course, she's welcome to post either or both if she so wishes. Disclosure of personally identifiable information is wholly subject to the discretion of the identifiable person, and they bear sole responsibility for any such disclosure.

My first thought was someone shifty, maybe trying to break into a car or a house. Maybe your window opening distured them and they "casually" strolled into the graveyard, to wait behind the pillar until they heard the window close again?

But then again, maybe I shouldn't be so cynical. He might have just been out walking or on his way home. Maybe he popped behind the pillar for a pee. Maybe he cut across the graveyard at such an angle that he was hideen from your view until he was far enough away to be lost amongst the headstones.

I love going for night time walks especially if I'm writing late and need to clear my head. However, I'm all too aware that any Night Owls spotting me might think I'm up to no good as I'm not walking a dog or anything, I'm just milling about. Usually star gazing or keeping my eyes open for foxes.

... I love going for night time walks especially if I'm writing late and need to clear my head. However, I'm all too aware that any Night Owls spotting me might think I'm up to no good as I'm not walking a dog or anything, I'm just milling about. ...

I know what you mean about avoiding detection when simply taking a night stroll ...
If you hadn't previously read Ray Bradbury's 1951 short story "The Pedestrian", I recommend it ...

https://archive.org/stream/PedestrianShortStory/pedestrian short story_djvu.txt

Luvpixie, I'd say your reaction to this gives the biggest clue of all. You didn't think "what's that crafty bugger doing, where he hiding?“. You clocked from the start something wasn't right, but not in an earthly sense. I'm going with ghost:eek::boss:

I d8
Luvpixie, I'd say your reaction to this gives the biggest clue of all. You didn't think "what's that crafty bugger doing, where he hiding?“. You clocked from the start something wasn't right, but not in an earthly sense. I'm going with ghost:eek::boss:

I didn't mean for the emoji chap with the hat and cigar to be added, but might as well leave him there now.

Back