Cerne Abbas Giant

hunck

Justified & Ancient
The changing size of the member:

I think that in some early pictures there is a navel as well as ribs and nipples. It would be fairly easy for a not-that-committed workforce to add the navel into the length of the member and..... Voila! :D
Wiki agrees:

From a review of historical depictions of the figure, it has been identified that the Giant's current large erection is, in fact, the result of merging a circle representing his navel with a smaller penis during a 1908 re-cut: the navel still appears on a late 1890s picture postcard.
I haven't found any photos which show this, or the postcard.

Road sign at Cerne Abbas

1567109653478.png

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Volunteers restore Cerne Abbas giant to former glory

The scene could hardly have been more quintessentially English. As buzzards circled above and butterflies darted across the flower-dotted slopes, dozens of volunteers were digging and scraping at a huge figure carved into the steep hillside.

Excellent report, however I much prefer the far more subtle headline from The Metro:

cerne.jpg

Volunteers polish giant’s erection by hand
A giant chalk figure of a man with a huge club is being given a make over.
The world famous Cerne Abbas Giant in Dorset is 180ft tall and will be re-chalked by hand by dozens of volunteers over the next two weeks. It has been a feature of the area since the 17th century and is in need of a gentle polish and tickle to restore it – including the 36ft erect penis. Since its last refresh in 2008, the weather has taken its toll and weeds have encroached on the Giant, blurring its previously sharp chalky outline. Tonnes of the white stuff extracted from a nearby quarry will be tightly packed in by hand to the existing 1,509ft outline of the figure to ensure it remains visible for miles around. The Giant was given to the National Trust to look after in July 1920 by the Pitt-Rivers family, and the Trust is planning a year of celebrations next year to mark the centenary.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/29/volunteers-polish-giants-erection-hand-10648785/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... I haven't found any photos which show this, or the postcard. ...
I haven't found any photos alleged to be earlier than 1908, and the one obviously old picture postcard I've ever found is undated and the image is too indistinct to determine whether a separate navel (or the circle atop the penis) is visible.

The primary evidence for the figure's earlier appearance consists of various sketches and drawings from the 18th and 19th centuries.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
He's had other changes as well. Again from Wiki:

A 1996 study found that some features have changed over time, concluding that the figure originally held a cloak in its left arm and stood over a disembodied head. The former presence of a cloak was corroborated in 2008 when a team of archaeologists using special equipment determined that part of the carving had been allowed to be obliterated. The cloak might have been a depiction of an animal skin, giving credence to the theory that the giant was a depiction of a hunter, or alternatively, Hercules with the skin of the Nemean lion over his arm. In 1993, the National Trust gave the Giant a "nose job" after years of erosion had worn it away.