• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chain For Fortunate Coincidences?

Niall114

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi y'all

Rather than the weird & creepy, my tale is of a load of lucky coincidences which happened to me in the summer of 1992.

A friend and I were on our way to see the Sisters of Mercy at the NEC in Birmingham, my ticket was in the envelope the tickets had been posted to me, stuffed in to the pocket of my jeans. Unbeknownst to me, the envelope fell out of my pocket. A fact I only discovered when we arrived in Liverpool city centre to meet the coach going to the gig.

A frantic call home revealed something unbelievable. My sister, who lived away, had decided to make an inpromptu visit home that day, saw the envelope on the ground WITH MY NAME ON IT and picked it up, found the ticket and guessed what had happened. She rushed home, and met a neighbour who had been a Liverpool fireman, and so knew the backstreets and quick ways as well as anyone, who gave her a lift to the city centre.

The Coach driver agreed to hold on for a time, but would have to leave at 4pm, and at 3:59 my sister came charging along the pavement, stuffed the ticket in my hand and swore at me. I got on the bus to a round of "you lucky *******!" from the people who had learned of what was happening from the courier on the coach.

To this day, I find the chain of events almost unbelievably lucky. Does anyone else have similar good luck stories?

What a great sister you have!
I'm sure mine wouldn't go to those lengths.

Well, it was the Sisters of Mercy.

Cool story. I'm not sure what relationship altruism has with luck. I mean, you sister, her fireman neighbor and the coach driver all went out of their way for you. And you benefited from good timing.

Hi y'all

Well, I feel altruism also relies on a sense of reciprocity, so Sis and the neighbour would be covered, but the Coach Driver had nothing to gain, but a "good feeling" (if you'll forgive the expression).

No, the luck was in Sis seeing it at all, then deciding to investigate and making the chain of events happen, then these same things all taking place within the window of time the Coach driver could allow - if his schedule had been tighter, he might have left earlier and so on.

I feel it could so easily have been a "but for a nail..." type of chain of misfortunes. I also feel that we, as a society, tend to dwell on the bad luck stories, rather than the good ones.

I guess it's obvious I'm an ex-goth now...

Giving this a bump!

My two sons once set out from opposite ends of the country for a music festival, in separate groups, not expecting to see each other. However, one had left his ticket at my house so the other did a diversion to collect it. They hadn't arranged where to meet, but somehow walked into each other at the festival's front gate, did a quick hand-over and went their separate ways!

Saw this on the Freegle email.
I'm sure the two entries were placed together on purpose!
The items are geographically located about 3 miles apart so I bet it's all sorted in NO time. ;)

WANTED: Zimmer frame.
If any one has a Zimmer frame that they no longer require I would like to
try it for my husband he is now prone to falls

OFFER: zimmer frame
zimmer frame, as new. need it gone asap.space needed for other walking aid

Now, if the offspring (or grandchildren) of the two zimmer owners offer to do the pick up/delivery of those frames and meet and realise that they had been each others 'one that got away' and rekindle their romance...

then I've got the entire plot of another book!

Warning: this is about sewing.

Recently I watched a YouTube sewing tutorial. A 'flexible bodkin' was shown. It was a bit of a contraption and I thought 'What the flip? A bodkin is a thick needle!'
Looked like a nice gadget though. I use safety pins for that job.

Anyway... When I went upstairs I spotted a little metal thing under my work table. Having seen the flexible bodkin in the video I recognised it as that type of bodkin, though not an old fashioned one and not flexible.

Where had it come from? I sometimes buy tins and boxes of sewing paraphernalia from car boot sales so it's probably come from one of those.
I can't remember ever seeing it before though! How strange for it to turn up just when I might need it.
Tried it and it worked well.

Warning: this is about sewing.

Recently I watched a YouTube sewing tutorial. A 'flexible bodkin' was shown. It was a bit of a contraption and I thought 'What the flip? A bodkin is a thick needle!'
Looked like a nice gadget though. I use safety pins for that job.

Anyway... When I went upstairs I spotted a little metal thing under my work table. Having seen the flexible bodkin in the video I recognised it as that type of bodkin, though not an old fashioned one and not flexible.

Where had it come from? I sometimes buy tins and boxes of sewing paraphernalia from car boot sales so it's probably come from one of those.
I can't remember ever seeing it before though! How strange for it to turn up just when I might need it.
Tried it and it worked well.
What are the odds of that happening? Odds bodkin!

Back