• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chanctonbury Ring / Clapham Woods

Robert Macfarlane's spooky experience whilst sleeping at Chanctonbury Ring, as told in his book The Old Ways, is included in this excerpt:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20120710-englands-ghostly-south-downs-way

That really is quite spooky. An outdoorsman like Macfarlane is likely to be familiar with all the likely culprits - if he didn't recognise the source, then I don't know who would.

Barn owls would have been my first suggestion to someone less experienced, but he discounts that.

Edit: Not relevant here, but for what it's worth, some of the most disconcerting animal sounds I've ever heard have come from sheep. People who've never lived or worked close to them might not be familiar with the fact that they do have a wide range of voices, from the high pitched bleat of a lamb to the guttural belching of a mature ewe - I've heard noises coming from sheep that sounded like Beelzebub trying to clear a bone out of his throat.

Last edited:
Devil worshippers in Clapham Woods

there are at least half-a-dozen books on the subject.

Does anyone happen to know the names of any of these books, other than Toyne Newton's Demonic Connection?

I've had a look online but can't find much- I thought Charles Walker had written at least a couple of books about Clapham Wood.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help- I'm trying to track down a book I read many years ago and think it may have been on the subject of Clapham Wood.

It's discussed in one of the chapters of Will Storr vs The Supernatural, which is a very good book anyway imo.

I had a very disturbed sleep last night, with lots of those odd dreams you get (well, I do) when a night passes in restlessness punctuated by short snippets of sleep.

Most of my dreams make no sense whatsoever, but I remember one very short and very vivid passage where I appeared to be observing a crime scene complete with body just below Chanctonbury Ring. The place was not mentioned by name in the dream, but that's where it was.

In the dream I said to someone else something like: Well, this is going to get them talking; you know there've been unexplained deaths here before?

I'm putting that out there just in case something really does happen - so no-one can call bullshit on me when I say: Hey, I dreamed that.

(It wasn't particularly spooky - a clear bright day with blue sky and big fluffy clouds. There was a derelict building within sight - up and off to the right - that does not exist in reality.)

Edit: I should maybe add that although I know of Chanctonbury Ring I have not thought, read or heard anything about it for months - it's not been in my mind at all recently. Well, not the bits I have everyday access to.

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know the names of any of these books, other than Toyne Newton's Demonic Connection?

I've had a look online but can't find much- I thought Charles Walker had written at least a couple of books about Clapham Wood.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help- I'm trying to track down a book I read many years ago and think it may have been on the subject of Clapham Wood.
The Black Alchemist by Andrew Collins covers it at some length, although I leave the veracity of it for you to decide.

Back