• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chanctonbury Ring / Clapham Woods

Nope.

Ive got two weaks of exams at the moment but my dad has aggreed to take me when they finish.

yay.

Thats a definite this time. ;)

Yes, Adam's exams should be over soon.

Good article, August. Disappearing dogs, um..., horses, ooh..., vicars, Wow!

Chanctonbury ring and Clapham Woods are mentioned in a book I've just finished - The Dark Worship by Toybe Newton -ISBN 1-84333-586-7 published by Vega, in London. It claims that a secret sect of 'dark occultists' have appropriated the power of the area for their nefarious deeds. He links them to the Wheel; the Templars; the Freemasons and the Bilderbergers. There are some interesting points in it but I feel that he is merely groping around for an exclusive/ scandal. The fact that the last chapter mentions David Icke in a favorable light (no mention of the Lizards) doesn't help :).

Next time I'm in the UK I will try and visit it, it sounds spooky, and I like that :)

I liked the Clapham Woods article too, when I read it in a part-set of
The Unexplained.

Now that a complete set has fallen into my hands, it would be fair to
add that there was some follow-up correspondence which suggested
the piece was a bit of over-enthusiastic mystification. :rolleyes:

James, does your set of The Unexplained have letters pages then? I only have the articles themselves in binders, so perhaps they were removed (are they on the inside of the cover?).

Poke it with sticks, for tis evil......

There is a nameless terror at work here....

Seriously though, take a look at the 'history' page, iron age camp, roman temple, he who walks backwards and stone soup!!! I tell ya, you wont catch me running 'widdershins' anywhere, not in these trousers.

Great site, DV!

It reminds me of my younger, folky, days. I was never in the Morris, but I was tempted!

"baldricks, and ruggles" forsooth!

Any updates on your camping trip, Adam? I'm agog with anticipation.

Sorry, aint visited this forum for a while.. i brake up next friday and ive finnaly managed to convince someone to join me. I'll post onxe ive done it rather thatn tell you a date now as ill probably just have to put it off more. Does anyone who knows the area know where i could *find* that satanic alter thingy... or did i just image that? In fact, if i knew where i could find that i would go visit it briefly this weakend to check out the area again. I'm off to see mr cook at brighton on saturday so maybe sunday.

Fascinating Stuff

And eerie, too. As I read the initial account, it did cross my mind that perhaps the dog was perceiving a soldier or someone in camouflage -- and then later, when the military was mentioned, I thought perhaps of an experimental sub-audial weapon, some ELF transmitter gun of a sort.

Furhter, could there be something underground there? A machine of some kind, perhaps an ELF transmitter for communicating with the subs and so on?

I'm not sure if they had that kind of technology in medieval times.

Yes, August, my set is mainly complete with the covers which
contained the letters. There are some interesting responses
regarding such things as the Enfield Poltergeist and the Hexham
Heads from parties who were involved.

The Unexplained was something of a mixed bag but tried to
avoid tabloid sensationalism. Typically the first installment of
a story would present all the mysteries and subsequent parts
would look critically at the evidence. In a few cases, like the
Clapham Woods tale, the sceptical line was only aired on the
letters page.

If I get time this weekend I will look up the page and sum up the
points for those who don't have it to hand. :)

Medieval Submarines

Adam - Yes, quite right, I'd forotten the spot's history. This would lead to speculations of interesting geology beneath the spot, perhaps. Beyond that, I've not a clue, but I have experienced power places and such things, and have gotten dizzy, disoriented, and headachy.

We are sensitive to much more than we can name, including some things that may well originate in our minds.

ninja said:
Chanctonbury ring and Clapham Woods are mentioned in a book I've just finished - The Dark Worship by Toybe Newton -ISBN 1-84333-586-7 published by Vega, in London.

...Try 'The Demonic Connection' by Toyne Newton...I read it in the late eighties and it mentions these areas, and the (then currently in vogue) child sex-abuse by sundry 'satanists'...
...as a snap-shot in time it's quite enlightening...

...(Blandford Press, 1987, ISBN 0 7137 1873 0...)

Hmm - anyone know if the area has any fault lines going through it?

Jump!

Seems to me any suggestion of a connection between geologic faults and extreme beliefs focused on nefarious or even satanic suspicions is jumping to cause rather precipitously. After all, could be the water, the plants, the soil, the inadvertent collective TV taste, etc.

Selective perception links things, usually. We exclude things at our peril.

And when such apparently attenuated causes are raised, I always think of the Zodiac, and of Shakespeare's, "...the fault lies not in our stars, but in ourselves..."

Usually, that's exactly right. Unless there's a class-action suit against a huge corporation, of course.

I was thinking of the geological aspect with regards to the orginal post ;)

Original Post

JerryB - The original post's first paragraph is: "The South Downs Way and Chanctonbury Ring // I would be extremely interested to hear if anyone has experienced any strange occurrences along or around the South Downs Way, particularly Chanctonbury Ring. Something scary happened to me there, of which I shall now recount:"

If this doesn't seek to link geology to odd experiences, then what exactly do you think it's doing?

Eh? My point was that any faultline(s) in the area may (if one adheres to such theories) may have some bearing on the event ;)

Yes, We Know

Yes, Jerr, we just spent two or three posts pointing out that such an assertion is merely selective perception and jumping to cause. Logic glitches, in other words.

Might easily be the sparrows that crap purple that no one's yet noticed, after all. Or the schoolgirls' collective hair-spray haze. Or who KNOWS what?

Unless one has some evidence leading one to suspect one thing over another, it could be anyting, and nothing ought to be excluded, or singled out, as a cause. And so far as I know, no one has any evidence that geologic faults cause the kinds of experiences related in the initial post.

That's all I was saying. You're quite right, many folks do indeed find such assertions persuasive and even refer to them as Theories.

Devil worshippers in Clapham Woods

I assume that any follower of Fortean phenomena worth his salt will have heard about the rumoured cultist activity in Clapham Woods, West Sussex? It's allegedly been going on for the best part of 40 years and there are at least half-a-dozen books on the subject.
Anyway, I wondered if anybody had heard any news on this recently? The best I could get from Google was an article by Charles Walker, written in 2001.

How amusing. A paranormal investigation group hanging around the woods and looking into local accounts of a bunch of strange folk hanging around the woods...

It's the Uncertainty Principle at work, isn't it?

Devil worshipers ? erm i dont think so. No person who had any real and valid interest in worshipping old Brimstone pants himself would ever have anything to do with the sorry mobs of jaded middle class bores, trying to pass themselves off as satanists. It has long been known that 'devil worship' is just an excuse for these buffons to romp naked and chant passages from that well known devils diary 'the Necronomicorn';)

Anyone with half a brain would soon catch on. More likely a bunch of youngsters with a boom box gone up there to light a fire smoke a few joints and leap around to the sound of the underground [ not the northern line ]:D

It's cheeky alan supple !
its been a year
I was NEVER confused
Aren't you barred ?
give it a rest bullethead

Bump! Clapham Woods thread merged with old Chanctonbury Ring thread, which also covers some of the same ground (geographically as well as metaphoricaly).

Also links to CW stuff on this page

and this thread also deals cursorily with CW.

[Emp edit: Fixing big (ad broken) links]

Tourists

Pesky German tourists doing some obscure art thing, I'd guess.

Damn, just found and digested this thread and was hoping to hear of the results of Adam Rang's camping trip/direct Fortean investigation towards the end. 'twas before my time but i'm led to believe that he's left/been banned/abducted by satanists - anyone know if he made the trip?

As to the (fascinating) original account:

Playing the advocate of rationality: If the physiological symptoms related were the result of migraine, electromagnetic field or somesuch, your dog could well have either been affected himself or have picked up on the signs of your discomfort and become distressed. Dogs are sensitive to the slightest changes in behaviour and very mild physiological changes - that's how they are trained to provide an 'early warning' for epileptics.

Also, Curzone's fall was mentioned. If he received even what seemed like a light knock on the head the symptoms described could well be the result of concussion.

Yeah, somehow I totally missed this thread at the time. Now we'll never know what happened. And there's no way I'm trying it myself. Because I live too far away, otherwise I'd be straight in there. Um. Yes.

But the symptoms of the site suggest some sort of natural ultrasound; panic, tinnitus, disorientation, the sense of being watched, frightened animals...we need a friendly university to give it the once over with an ultrasound machine. If there is such a thing. How does one detect that stuff?

Back