• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rude & Suggestive Place Names

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
'Rude' street names to be banned

Published Date: 07 January 2009
'UNSUITABLE' street names will be banned in the future following new guidelines drawn up by Lewes District Council.
In future it seems likely the district won't see a repeat of street names such as Cockshut Road and Juggs Road, following the adoption of a new street naming and numbering policy.

The council's planning department has drawn up a 25-page document on the subject and it warns against using names which could be open to misinterpretation or innuendo.

The document states: 'Avoid aesthetically unsuitable names such as Gaswork Road, Tip House, Coalpit Lane, or names capable of deliberate misinterpretation like Hoare Road, Typple Avenue, Quare Street, Corfe Close (4 Corfe Close) etc.

'Street names which could give offence are not used nor are names which encourage defacing name plates.'

The council has insisted it will not change the names of existing roads and streets.

Cllr Peter Gardiner, the district council's lead councillor for planning, said: 'There have been some misleading reports about our new policy and I need to set the record straight.

'We are not going to change any existing road names in Lewes district.

'Our policy follows national guidance and sets out how we consult with local organisations and emergency services.

'It also gives clear advice to developers on how to avoid street names that may be misunderstood. It is just a matter of common sense.'

Robert Cheesman, the chairman of the Friends of Lewes, wrote to the council to seek assurance that places such as Cockshut Road and Juggs Road were not set to be renamed.

He told the Express: 'The Friends of Lewes would be concerned if the council intended to rename existing places.

'Lindsay Frost (the director of planning and environmental services at Lewes District Council) has told me there is no intention of renaming existing streets, the document is simply about naming new roads which might be created.

'Why do they need a policy?

'Why don't they deal with each case on its merits? Are they being pressed by the Government?'

The policy was agreed by the district council's cabinet on Tuesday.

From the Sussex Express http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/39Rude39-street-names-to-be.4852652.jp

Both Juggs Road and Cockshut Lane are within two minutes skating distance of my front door!

There is also a pub called "The Juggs" in Kingston-near-Lewes...imagine being a barmaid there :shock:

I'd love to live at 4 Corfe Close. :D

I dunno, I'm still laughing at Robert Cheesman, the chairman of the Friends of Lewes!
:lol:

i have a cockshott lane not far away too.

there is also a street in the city centre called butts court!

I think it's believed to sound too much like 'Queer Street'.

'Queer Street' is a good old English expression, of course. To be in Queer Street means to be in difficulties, especially financial ones. So you probably wouldn't want to live there. ;)

Not strictly rude in itself, but Canal Street in Manchester is rather well known nt just for being gay central, but for regularly having the first letter of each word scored off of the signs!

There's a street near me called Dick Gardens. Also there is Freskin Place , which is not rude in itself , but it is when the local vandals decided to put an 'o' between the 'f' and the 'r'. About half a mile from there is Peniel Place which has had a similiar graffiti makeover.

The signs near me for Uckfield and the River Uck get the inevitable "f" treatment regularly.

There is an Auckland Drive in Brighton which always gets altered too.

Recently, I noticed that the sign for Old Shoreham Road had had the "S" removed, which made me chuckle childishly....as did the road sign for Roedean School, where the R had been cunningly changed into an "H" with one pen stroke.

I always wanted to move to Twatt in the Orkneys, and name the house "Izarite". My address would then be "My Name, Izarite, Twatt".

CarlosTheDJ said:
Slightly more charming defacements in Brighton include an Onion Road, and an Albion Mouse :)

H_James said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
Slightly more charming defacements in Brighton include an Onion Road, and an Albion Mouse :)

Yeah Onion Road is excellent....have you nticed it's been done at both ends, on all the signs?

Genius. I reckon that will end being the road's name, in fifty years or so.

Not quite a rudename, but when I drive to Tamworth I pass a sign for "Valley Heights" which makes me shake my head every time. ;)

Almost as good as Hill Valley from the Back to the Future films. Except it's ahead because it's real and not made up.

I didn't get those two place-names until I switched off the smut-detector. :lol:

Slightly off topic but on the subject of altered street signs I remember this one from the mid 80's.

I grew up near the village of Evershott in Dorset.
One day the sign was graffitied to read Who Evershott JR?

(It was very funny in the 80's. If it doesn't make sense , ask your mum)

We have a thread on Macabre place names, but many of these don't fit that heading:

Bladder Lane, Bent Street and Butt Hole Road – the street names that reached the end of the road
Dozens of councils across Britain have reported cases of residents changing the names of their street because they are embarrassed by or dislike the one it had been given.
By Jasper Copping
Published: 7:00AM BST 05 Sep 2010

For the residents of Bladder Lane, Bent Street or Butt Hole Road, just providing their address could be fraught with potential embarrassment.

But the solution for them – and many others left similarly red-faced by their odd-sounding street names – was simply to change the name of the road.

Dozens of councils across Britain have reported cases of residents changing the names of their street because they dislike the one on the map.

In some cases, the name change has followed years of ridicule.

The inhabitants of Butt Hole Road even had to put up with coach loads of US tourists visiting to have their pictures taken near the road sign, after the street appeared in an American book and on the internet. 8)

The name, which is thought to refer to a communal water butt once located in the area, has now been changed to Archers Way.

Last week residents in the street expressed relief at the change. One, who declined to be named, said: "We had had enough. We are much happier now. We just want to move on."

Bladder Lane, in Plymouth, believed to have been named for the bladderwort plant which grew in an adjacent meadow, was changed to Boniface Lane at the request of a St Boniface's Catholic College, on the road, which was unhappy with it.

Bent Street, in Blackburn, was renamed following lobbying from a new sheltered accommodation complex on the road. It has now been given the rather more bucolic-sounding Greenhurst Place.

In the same town, a local college has also successfully requested that Brewery Street, on its campus, is changed to the more scholarly – and more sober – University Close. "We just felt it was more appropriate," a Blackpool College spokesman added.

However, the changes have upset local heritage campaigners, who are concerned about the loss of local history in such names.

Tony Burton, director of Civic Voice, a new umbrella organisation representing local heritage groups, said: "Street names are an honest reflection of an area.

"They give character. They are part of a rich history and even if they feel a bit dated or unusual, they are worth hanging on to.

"A bit of quirkiness and surprise doesn't go amiss. We don't want to lose the character and distinctiveness that a variety of street names offer us. You would need a very good reason to wipe away that history."

The name changes have been uncovered in a survey of local councils by The Sunday Telegraph and have all occurred within the last ten years.

Changing the name of a street is an expensive and lengthy process, the cost of which is usually met by the local residents, or a developer.

Home owners on the street must also change the deeds of the homes and their mortgage details, as well as other billing information.

As well as to avoid "rude" names, many changes have been made in response to the advent of satellite navigation systems which can confuse certain, similar-sounding names and which often fail to take account of changes to road layouts.

In several cases, however, the changes were requested after addresses became stigmatised, in some way.

Following the conviction of Maxine Carr for perverting the course of justice during the investigation into the murders of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, in Soham, villagers in Haddenham, about ten miles away, requested that Carr Close be renamed.

Residents of Whiteway Avenue, near Bath, changed their street to the more picturesque Englishcombe Rise, because of the "negative connotations" of sharing a name with a nearby suburb called Whiteway.

In Walsall, part of Beddows Road was renamed Lavender Grove because the old name had become associated with a high crime rate and anti social behaviour.

Developers in Gloucester requested that the name of Asylum Lane, where a mental hospital in the city is based, be changed to Royal Lane.

According to the local council, the original name was "considered to have negative implications and association with the area". [Shades of Political Correctness there...!]

In Liverpool, the names of a number of streets were changed to avoid linking new properties with the bad credit history of other properties in the area.

Sometimes, residents have changed the name simply because they do not like it.

In Rotherham, residents of Collier Street started a petition to change its name because they felt it was not as attractive as other names on the same estate.

Gritstone Close, in Lancaster, was changed to Oakland Close at the residents' request, while in Bournemouth, Derby Road was changed to Garden Views because the new name was "perceived to have more desirable connotations".

However, it seems that not all residents are concerned by an unusual address. In Northamptonshire, residents asked for Rectory Close, in Great Houghton, to revert to its original – Cracknuts Lane. [Hooray! :D ]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -road.html

I'm sure some of the more recent names in my area are just a cruel joke.

Buy a piece of ancient farmland, level and 'develop' it: Orchard Drive.

Knock down a peculiar nineteenth-century school building with an exceedingly rare tower: Old School Place.

Last edited:
Timble2 said:
I must have a weird sense of humour, I'd love an address like Butt Hole Road...

Me too. :D

My youngest used to live near Bell End. Kept meaning to stop and photograph the sign. Nobody seemed to want to pose beside it, thuogh. :lol:

I'm with you, Timble and Escargot; I'd love to live in a place with an interesting name!
Part of the rich tapestry of British history they are :)
Maybe we could offer to do house exchanges with people who are too dull to like them?
:D

In a similar note, but less humourous, I was driving down the M1 today following a van for a company based in Soham. Obviously that word only conjured up one thought so I was wondering whether in such circumstances there may be cause to change a place name to lose its history. In that instance dropping the 'h' would leave it verbally the same but would just remove that first instant thought. Soam.

And more on topic, I remember last visit to Paris there being a Rue mentioned in one of the guidebooks which when translated means 'Naughty Boys Street'. You can imagine quite quickly what part of the cities community gravitated there...!

Not just in Britain:

'Lustful' street may get new name

Residents of Lustful Court in the American state of Georgia have been told they must start a petition if they want a less provocative street name.

County commissioner Lonzy Edwards raised the possibility of a name change at a Tuesday evening board meeting after receiving complaints.

"I just believe that that does not reflect well on our community or the people who live in that area," he said.

Authorities do not know where the tiny street's name originated.

Yoshonda Patterson, who rents a property on Lustful Court, Macon, hopes that people will stop getting the wrong idea about the neighbourhood if the name is changed, the Associated Press reported.

Other locals say they are met with laughter and confusion when they reveal their address.

But one man who has lived in the area for 40 years said he did not care about the name, a local television station reported.

Macon is about 90 miles south of Atlanta.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11238057

There was the classic photo in a newspaper a few years ago of a bloke stood happily next to the road sign pointing to the town of Twatt in the Shetlands. I've mentioned this before, but in Lancaster we have "Bashful Alley", which used to be called "Swapcunt Alley". :shock: Don't know why they changed it.

Spudrick68 said:
There was the classic photo in a newspaper a few years ago of a bloke stood happily next to the road sign pointing to the town of Twatt in the Shetlands. I've mentioned this before, but in Lancaster we have "Bashful Alley", which used to be called "Swapcunt Alley". :shock: Don't know why they changed it.

It's in Orkney, unless there's more than one ;) Twatt in the Northern Isles.

Back