• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rude & Suggestive Place Names

Historic London districts 'rebranded' Midtown
By Andy Dangerfield, BBC News, London

If you asked for a London cab to take you from Cityside to Noho via Midtown, the driver would probably respond with a raised eyebrow.
But all three are names given to central London locations that have faced rebranding in recent years.

Bloomsbury, where writers, intellectuals and artists congregated throughout the 20th Century, is home to the British Museum and is celebrated for its cultural history.
But the area, along with neighbouring Holborn and St Giles, is facing what appears to be a rebrand by local businesses, under the contentious new name of Midtown.

The term Midtown has been used for a number of years by estate agents hoping to promote the area's central London location and by hotels looking to attract US tourists.

But if you have left the Tube at Holborn station in recent weeks, you may have been greeted by men in orange jackets, handing out maps and calling themselves "inmidtown rangers".
Walk in any direction and you may have noticed lamp posts clad with flags boldly stating "inmidtown".
This is the work of local business interest group Inmidtown, which hopes to raise the profile of an area that many see as something of an abyss between the City of London and the West End.

But many workers and local residents are not happy with what they see as a rebrand of the area.
Jane Parker, a graphic designer who has worked in Holborn for 20 years, said: "It's an estate agent term for people who actually don't know London."
"It would make more sense if there was an uptown and downtown, but instead we have a West End and a City."

Jim Murray, chairman of the Bloomsbury Association, which represents local residents, said it was "totally ridiculous" to try to rebrand the area.
"Midtown is an Americanisation," he said.
He says he wants Inmidtown to engage more with local residents' groups.
"We want to make them very aware that central London without its residents would be a ghost town," he said.
"And we'd like to see the flags removed".

But Inmidtown chief executive Tass Mavrogordato said the organisation has no intention of removing the flags.

"It will or won't catch on but it will always be our name," she said.
"How do you enable people to understand the quality of districts like Bloomsbury and St Giles when they're really quite small?" she added.
"In a big city like London, it's quite difficult not to need umbrella terms - like the West End and the City of London.
"We're trying to do it with this area - pull it together so people understand the commercial district."

Midtown is just the latest in a string of recent examples of new names organisations have tried to give to historic areas of London.

In June 2008, billionaire developers the Candy Brothers were criticised by angry Fitzrovia residents who accused them of trying to rebrand the area as Noho.
Nick and Christian Candy named an apartment building they were developing as Noho - supposedly meaning north of Soho - Square.
But they soon pulled out of the redevelopment and the name was dropped.

Elsewhere, estate agents have tried to rename Aldgate and Hoxton in east London as CitySide, and Elephant & Castle in south London as South City.

But sometimes it is residents rather than developers who campaign for a rebrand.
Last spring, Chrissy Tignor set up a Facebook group campaigning to change the name of West Hampstead Tube station in north-west London to East Kilburn.
"People in Hampstead mock West Hampstead at dinner parties," campaigners said.
"People in Kilburn won't do that - we won't feel superior to our East Kilburn neighbours."
So far the group has attracted more than 400 members.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11305340

I live in a village in South Derbyshire where the local council has gone in for a bizarre reverse version of rebranding with their street names. Suddenly about a year ago new blue road signs appeared under the standard black and white road names telling you what the roads used to be called (names so old in some cases that no living villager remembers them!) To give just one example a road now called Valley Road has a sign underneath saying 'formerly known as Dag Lane'! No one seems to know what the supposed point of this is! :?

BlackPeter said:
To give just one example a road now called Valley Road has a sign underneath saying 'formerly known as Dag Lane'! No one seems to know what the supposed point of this is! :?
Well, it would be handy for those doing local history or genealogy projects - the council has done part of the work for them!

So if you look up an old census, and find that an ancestor was living in Dag Lane, you'd be able to relate it to the modern geography.

It's hysteria lane for granny after council changes her street name
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 47673.html

Mary Brennan outside her home in Portrane, north Co Dublin, where she has lived for almost four decades. Picture: Fintan Clarke

Mary Brennan outside her home in Portrane, north Co Dublin, where she has lived for almost four decades. Picture: Fintan Clarke

A child with Asperger's discovers how to listen, then better interact

Wednesday September 22 2010

A grandmother whose family have been the only residents on their lane for more than 35 years was stunned to discover a council changed their street name because some locals wanted a more trendy-sounding address.

Mary Brennan (64) said her life has been turned upside down after Fingal County Council went against her objection and renamed Nether Cross, Burrow Road in Portrane to Valley Lane.

Mrs Brennan and her son Darren Brennan are the only residents living on the 100-metre long lane located near Portrane Beach in the coastal village in north county Dublin.

She has lived in her circa 1870s cottage for 36 years while her son has lived in a cottage he built up the lane for the past 10 years. "Everyone knows it as Nether Cross," she told the Irish Independent.

The new name -- chosen by members of the local residents' association -- doesn't even reflect the area, she added.

"There's no hills or valley. We're surrounded by water here," she said.

Mrs Brennan, a mother of five and grandmother of six, said the formal name change -- passed by the council two weeks ago -- has caused huge stress and upheaval for herself and her family.

They have all begrudgingly had to notify friends and family as well as banks, utility providers, schools and others of their change of address.

Mrs Brennan, who worked as a local seamstress, said the name change could also cost her business because clients across north county Dublin who have been coming to her over the years might assume she has moved away. The name change has been a thorn in Mrs Brennan's side for the past year.

"I complained to the council but I was told that 'the people have decided'," she said. "But I said 'I am the people'."

Officials from Fingal County Council were unavailable for comment last nigh

It's in Orkney, unless there's more than one Twatt in the Northern Isles.

There's one in Orkney and one in Shetland as well.

It's also a relatively common surname. There are 6 listed in the BT phonebook here right now.

So yes, lots of them in the islands! :lol:

Australian town becomes SpeedKills in safety campaign
By Nick Bryant
BBC News, Sydney

A small town in the Australian Outback has decided to change its name for a month in an attempt to increase road safety.
The town of Speed - a blink-and-you'd-miss-it town in the countryside of Victoria - will be known as SpeedKills.
Speed-dwellers are hoping it will persuade drivers to slow down on country roads.

Speed is hoping to become something of a global, internet sensation with the launch of this novel safety campaign.
The idea was the brainchild of the Victoria Transport Accident Commission, which soon won over Speed's 45 residents.
Such was their enthusiasm, that they even made a video as part of the campaign.
It has already proved a hit on the social networking site, Facebook.

While the campaign is running, one local resident has even agreed to change his own name.
Phil Down, a local wheat and sheep farmer, will become Phil Slow Down.
It is hoped the idea will catch on around the world.

Road safety officials in Victoria have already identified five towns in the United States called Speed which it hopes will support name changes of their own.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12502112

Talk of the town: The etymology of UK places

Some of the best [name] changes came about because the Normans weren't very good at pronouncing Old English or Old Scandinavian. And they were the bosses, remember: no one was going to tell them they were getting it wrong, so lots of names evolved to something the Normans found easier to cope with. One family who must be very grateful are the descendants of a certain Midlander called Snot. Sn was one of the sounds the Normans found difficult, which is why Snot's settlement now has the less embarrassing name of Nottingham. 8)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/th ... 77630.html

I was given a book last Christams with allegedly real names of people and places called 'Busty, Slag and Nob End'. Can't recall the author right now.

Most odd!

Villages' names mysteriously change to 'Ashton Kutcher' leaving residents bamboozled
By Ted Thornhill
Last updated at 9:12 AM on 27th February 2012

It’s certainly one way to put a star on the map.
Village residents across the UK were left bemused as the name of their villages were changed to Ashton Kutcher – the Hollywood actor.
Ashton Hayes in Cheshire, Ashton under Hill in Worcestershire, Ashton in south Northamptonshire and finally Ashton Keynes in Wiltshire all had their names ‘taken over’ for two days this week.

In the early hours, village signs were mysteriously changed to ‘Ashton Kutcher’, flowers beds sprang up spelling out the star’s name and local pubs were re-named the ‘Ashton Kutcher Arms’, serving 3.9% Ashton Kutcher Ale - much to the confusion of many of the regulars.
A bust statue of Ashton Kutcher himself was also spotted in the local village shop of Ashton Keynes, plus a further statue taking charge at the bar of The Golden Lion in Ashton Hayes.

Bus drivers later pulled-up at Ashton Kutcher bus stops to let on passengers.
Bamboozled locals were led to believe that it was the work of Ashton Addiction - a self-help group of fans completely obsessed by the celebrity, often resulting in strange acts of homage.

Alerted to the news by leaflets and posters, the message to locals was clear: ‘Congratulations! Your village has now been named Ashton Kutcher.'
Shopkeeper Tessa Mills, from Ashton Keynes said: ‘I think it’s fantastic, and if he could even be here in person, especially as we'll be having the village shop official opening soon, if he could be at that, I think we'd have really hit the jackpot.
'We're a bit light on celebrities in this village so actually, if we could have Ashton Kutcher as our own, that would be fantastic.’

Meanwhile Steve Falder from Ashton said, ‘I think there’ll be quite a bit of debate about changing Ashton to Ashton Kutcher. I think we’d have to discuss that at the Parish Council Meeting, and probably in the Old Crown Pub actually. A little beer might be required to convince everyone’.

Unknown to the residents, the Ashton Kutcher village take-over was orchestrated by TV channel Comedy Central, who decided to play-out the prank in honour of the Hollywood star and celebrate the return of hit series Two And A Half Men tomorrow night, in which Ashton Kutcher plays the part of internet billionaire Walden Schmidt.
Bill Griffin, from Comedy Central said: ‘It seems the UK has been gripped by a kind of mania for Ashton Kutcher. The stunt was genuinely meant in good humour and if any of the locals were amused, bemused or in any way inconvenienced I’ll stand them a drink at the Ashton Kutcher Arms’. 8)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... z1nZqqGjSP

Being a gnarly old git, rynner has never heard of Ashton Kutcher...
..I don't suppose he's heard of me either.

Spudrick68 said:
I was given a book last Christams with allegedly real names of people and places called 'Busty, Slag and Nob End'. Can't recall the author right now.

I've got that one - needless to say.

It was a 2009 publication by Russell Ash of Bizarre Books fame.

It is best enjoyed in small doses, I find. Page after page of real names such as Comes Inside (Dakota Indian Census of 1886, Curry Condom (Nova Scotia, c 1825) Jesus Condom (d. Florida, 23 June 1993) & Semen Cox (1920 US Census).
Rhoda Cunt (Tennessee, 1870 Census) Willy P. Cumpecker (b. Virgina 30 July 1870) etc. etc. for 256 pages.

I suppose they were all ex-directory. :)

I heard recently that the town of Staines (west of London, just inside the M25) is changing it's name to 'Staines on Thames', which I thought was not really going far enough. Whenever you drive past that junction on the M25, assuming the wind is in the right direction, you can smell the stench of the local sewage works, hence why I have usually called it 'Sh*t Staines'.
Maybe it would've been more appropriate to call it something like 'East Egham'or 'South Stanwell'.

trevp66 said:
I heard recently that the town of Staines (west of London, just inside the M25) is changing it's name to 'Staines on Thames', which I thought was not really going far enough. Whenever you drive past that junction on the M25, assuming the wind is in the right direction, you can smell the stench of the local sewage works, hence why I have usually called it 'Sh*t Staines'.
Maybe it would've been more appropriate to call it something like 'East Egham'or 'South Stanwell'.

True story:
A computer operator colleague of mine once called Siemens for tech support. At the time, they were based in Feltham, near Staines.
Anyway, the receptionist answered the phone by saying 'Siemens Staines'. :)
My friend paused a bit, then told the receptionist that she should perhaps use a different greeting... :D

Campaign to change Brown Willy's name

A campaign has been launched to have the name of a landmark on Bodmin Moor in Cornwall officially changed to its original Cornish title.
Bronn Wennili, the Cornish name of highest peak on the moor, has become distorted over many years to its current title, Brown Willy.
The original title of the peak, which stands at 420m (1378 ft), means "hill of swallows".

Critics said they believed no name change was necessary.

Chris Hines, one of the founders of Surfers against Sewage, is leading the campaign to get the peak officially re-named Bronn Wennili.
Mr Hines said: "It is that kind of giggle factor. It doesn't mean anything. At some point or another, I can't ascertain when, it became Brown Willy.
"I am hoping the council will turn the name back to Bronn Wennili which means hill of swallows."

But people commenting on BBC Radio Cornwall's Facebook page said they did not want the name changed.
Michael Rabbitte said: "It's been Brown Willy for as far back as living memory goes and I suspect, as others have pointed out, that it will always be called that, whatever name we may formally give it.
"We also have Flushing and Looe - are they next?" :D

Although it is not known when the modern version of the name became its official title, Annabel Darrall-Rew said she had known the place as Brown Willy for more than 60 years.
She said: "I live very close to Brown Willy and have known the name since 1951.
"I would be happy for it to have two names as is done in Wales with the name Bronn Wennili and Brown Willy on the signs."

Mr Hines said he had contacted Ordnance Survey to ascertain when the the name of Brown Willy was first used on maps.
He added: "Restoring the original name Bronn Wennili to the highest point in Cornwall is a complete no-brainer.
"It has a lovely meaning - Hill of Swallows - a name that the county and its people can be proud of and something that will be slightly more attractive to residents and tourists than Brown Willy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-20203832

There's a well known village in austria, but when you look on a map it is called 'hucking'

:( I hope they don't chenge Brown Willy, as a Cornish school kid it was the best thing ever to say you have visited it!!

cherrybomb said:
:( I hope they don't chenge Brown Willy, as a Cornish school kid it was the best thing ever to say you have visited it!!

But imagine if the orginal meaning was retained also, and it was known throughout the local juvenile community as 'Swallows Brown Willy'.

It's a gift that just keeps on giving.

Sergeant_Pluck said:
cherrybomb said:
:( I hope they don't change Brown Willy, as a Cornish school kid it was the best thing ever to say you have visited it!!

But imagine if the orginal meaning was retained also, and it was known throughout the local juvenile community as 'Swallows Brown Willy'.

It's a gift that just keeps on giving.

:lol: Awesome! (is it sad that as a 32 year old woman I still find that funny??!)

I mentioned elsewhere that I once had a small boat which we named Morwenna (after St Morwenna, as we lived not far from Morwenstowe at the time). Years later I discovered that the name means Sea Swallow. Presumably Wenna is a variant of Wennili, or probably wennili is the plural form.

(And those with mucky minds deserve to be brainwashed! :twisted: )

Varteg or Farteg: Stink over village name continues

A public consultation is under way on adopting the Welsh place name Y Farteg for the Torfaen village of Varteg - despite local opposition.
Some villagers fear the community will be ridiculed if it is forced to have signs with Farteg on them.

The move is under discussion as many place names across Wales display both English and Welsh spellings.
There is no letter 'V' in the Welsh alphabet, so it should read Farteg in Welsh.
The move has been supported by the Welsh Language Commissioner.

But people in the village have put their name to a petition opposing the change.
One of the county borough councillors whose ward includes Varteg said local residents remained adamant that the name should not be translated.
"They are very angry - they don't want it on the signs," said Giles Davies, who represents Abersychan on Torfaen council.
"Now there is the consultation, at the end of the day they are going to tell the council that.
"They are the ones who have got to live there, and they are worried that they will end up being ridiculed."

Mr Davies said he was "100%" behind the Welsh language but in this instance was representing the views of the people who elected him to the council.
He said that a decision to consider using the form Y Farteg rather than just Farteg did not improve the position.
"People who are not Welsh speakers will see that as 'Why Fart Egg'. :shock: People there have just had enough," he added.

The council said the decision to move to a public consultation over the name of the village followed a county-wide review.
"Following consultation on 22 Welsh place names in Torfaen, the council is asking people their opinion on the possible adoption of Y Farteg or Farteg as an additional Welsh place name for the current English spelling of Varteg," said a council spokesperson.
"If either Y Farteg or Farteg are adopted it will mean that in the future one of these Welsh place names will be used alongside Varteg."

The consultation is open until 9 December, online and through council offices.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-25044888

But Inmidtown chief executive Tass Mavrogordato said the organisation has no intention of removing the flags.

"It will or won't catch on but it will always be our name," she said.
"How do you enable people to understand the quality of districts like Bloomsbury and St Giles when they're really quite small?" she added.

Well, we seemed to have managed pretty well so far, given the number of tourists and students thronging the streets of these 'small' districts every day of the year.

Probably a good idea to change this one.

Spanish ‘Kill Jews’ village considers changing its name to drop anti-Semitic phrase

A Spanish village, whose Inquisition-era name contains the phrase “kill Jews”, is considering changing its name to its original and more peaceful one that means "Jews' Hill".

Castrillo Matajudios [where ‘matar Judios’ means ‘killing Jews’], a small village with 60 families in Leon, northern Spain, is set to officially decide on the name change at a referendum next week, the regional daily Diario de Burgos reports.

The meeting of all residents at a town hall, where the people will be told the history of the village and its name, and the vote are scheduled on April, 19.

If the majority votes for the proposal submitted by local mayor Lorenzo Rodriguez, the village will revert to its original name Castrillo Mota de Judios, which means “Castrillo Jews’ Hill” that was changed during the Spanish Inquisition.

"The decision by majority will be respected, even if there is one vote [difference],” Mayor Lorenzo Rodriguez said.

According to Rodriguez, in 1035 there was a massacre of Jews in nearby Castrojeriz, which had one of the earliest Jewish communities in Spain. Many of them fled to nearby Castrillo where equal rights had been given to Jews and Christians back in 974. However, Castrillo, too, saw a massacre in 1109.

The name Matajudios also dates back to medieval times, when converted Jews were sometimes publicly executed in show trials at around Easter.

In some parts of Spain, especially in the north, the term “killing Jews” (matar Judios) is used to describe the traditional drinking of lemonade spiked with alcohol at festivals held in city squares at Easter.

"Unfortunately, these expressions exist in Spain, but the people who use them do not know their true meaning," spokesman for the Federation of Jewish Communities of Spain Maria Royo told local Jewish News Agency. “It is a complicated issue that is ingrained in local culture.”

Given the popularity of the expression, “it is impossible to forbid this language” in that context, Royo explained.

Leon will hold its “matar Judios” fiesta on Good Friday, April 18, where organizers estimate 40,000 gallons of lemonade will be sold.
http://rt.com/news/spanish-village-kill-jews-name-188/

Better late than never I suppose, but didn't anyone think of changing it in, ooh, say the last hundred years? Well, maybe not when Franco was in power.

Are Britain's rude road names under threat?
A Welsh council is trying to stamp out "unsuitable" street names such as Hoare Road and Typple Avenue
By Oliver Smith
11:45AM BST 24 Oct 2014

A council in North Wales is attempting to clamp down on rude and "offensive" road names.
Officials have issued guidance on "unsuitable" monikers following complaints about Hoare Road and Typple Lane in Conwy, the South Wales Evening Post reported.
"Aesthetically unsuitable names such as Tip House, Pit Lane will be avoided, or names capable of deliberate misinterpretation like Hoare Road, Typple Avenue, Swag House, etc," the policy reads.

Phil Evans, Conwy's council regulation spokesman, suggested that road names should reference the area's history, not make it subject to ridicule.
"Some names can cause offence or can be misinterpreted so it's better to try to avoid them," he added.

"We had a road named Old Abattoir Lane and residents were a bit upset about it and asked for it to be changed. It's quite unusual, but if we are drafting a policy it's appropriate to put that in and everybody is clear on our position on things like that."

Should the council's policy be adopted elsewhere, it could put dozens of other street names under threat.
Britain rudest roads include the likes of Minge Lane in Upton-upon-Severn, Slag Lane in Merseyside, Grope Lane in Shrewsbury, Juggs Close in Lewes, Beaver Close in Surrey and Crotch Crescent in Oxford.

Several others have featured in Telegraph Travel's Sign Language series, including Fanny Hands Lane in Lincolnshire and Bell End in Worcestershire. Dumb Woman's Lane in East Sussex is another that might be deemed offensive.

Some embarrassing street names have already been abandoned over the years, with residents lobbying local authorities for replacements. The inhabitants of Butt Hole Road - which is thought to refer to a communal water butt once located in the area - changed theirs to Archers Way, after years spent putting up with guffawing US tourists having their pictures taken near the road sign.

Bladder Lane, in Plymouth, believed to have been named for the bladderwort plant which grew in an adjacent meadow, was changed to Boniface Lane at the request of a St Boniface's Catholic College, on the road, which was unhappy with it.

Bent Street, in Blackburn, was renamed following lobbying from a new sheltered accommodation complex on the road. It is now called Greenhurst Place.

Fans of rude place names should make maps.geotastic.org/rude their homepage. The work of Londoner Gary Gale – a “geo-technologist and self professed geek with a life” – it features "vaguely rude" places all over the world, such as the Philippine town of Anus, the Cambridgeshire hamlet called Six Mile Bottom, and the Indonesian settlement of Semen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... hreat.html

Juggs Close is just down the road from me. There's a pub called The Juggs too.

Frankly I think Greenhurst Place is far more hilarious than Bent Street. In fact anything that is 'something Place' has potential for jokes. At least to the sort of humorist featured in the Blackadder 2 episode 'Beer' .

I would think virtually every word in the English language has at some time had a lewd or scatological meaning - if it hasn't had sometime in the last 800 years it will in the next 800.

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but the various Grape Lanes around the country are usually Bowdlerised versions of Grope(c*nt) Lane

In Lancaster we have "Bashful Alley" which was originally called "Swapcunt Lane" which was changed a long time ago.

Back