• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rude & Suggestive Place Names

Here in South Africa, changes of names of towns and rivers and roads are constantly in the news. Some historical names here are genuinely offensive to large swathes of the population. But sometimes the changes are done in a heavy-handed and authoritarian sort of way, apparently for no other reason than to show the whiteys who's in charge now.

Me, I couldn't possibly care less one way or the other. :)

There have been a few efforts to change the name of Silt, Colorado over the years. Here is a funny account of one of those campaigns, with some commentary on the names of other places in the state.

http://www.denverpost.com/2006/05/11/silt-still-happens/

That was from 2006. I think it may have eventually been put to a vote, but it's still Silt.

Husband reminded me of the (possibly apocryphal but I prefer to think of it as true) story of Rugeley in Staffordshire. There was a famous case of Dr William Palmer, the poisoner - who brought such notoriety to the place, there was supposedly a deputation of locals to the Prime Minister, asking to change the town's name. They suggested re-naming it after the PM. Palmerston.

Keith Allen was in 'The Life And Crimes of William Palmer' which used to be on YouTube - surprisingly accurate (I read the trial accounts, after watching it, it was so compelling and much of it is word for word). Well worth tracking down.

It's tragic that so much history is lost in the name of appeasing the perpetually-offended. I would have thought that we'd have realised by now that it won't work.

I know a couple who live off the still proudly-named:

TITTY_HO_72dpi_large.jpg

maximus otter

Husband reminded me of the (possibly apocryphal but I prefer to think of it as true) story of Rugeley in Staffordshire. There was a famous case of Dr William Palmer, the poisoner - who brought such notoriety to the place, there was supposedly a deputation of locals to the Prime Minister, asking to change the town's name. They suggested re-naming it after the PM. Palmerston.

Wasn't it Palmerston himself who wittily suggested using his own name?

I double checked before I posted here and apparently it's totally apocryphal :bf:but politician = vanity so if there is any possibility the story is true, then I bet that's what happened.

The version I read many years ago had Palmerston suggesting his own name to shut the protestors up. It was supposed to be serious but I didn't buy it.

This Quebec town was ready to vote on a new name, but it became apparent the residents didn't like the available choices.
Quebec town called Asbestos searches for a new name

Officials in a Quebec town called Asbestos said a planned vote on a new name for the municipality might be delayed after negative public reaction to the local council's options ...

Mayor Hugues Grimard said Friday, four days after the name options were unveiled, that the local council is looking into other potential names after some of the town's 7,000 residents reacted negatively to the suggestions. ...

The names that were originally slated to be voted on Oct. 14-18 were Phenix, the French version of the mythical fire bird Phoenix; Apalone, a species of turtle; Trois-Lacs, which means "Three Lakes" in English; and Jeffrey, the name of the man who operated the town's first asbestos mine.

Town officials have long been discussing changing the name of Asbestos, which was named for the material originally mined in the town but has since come to be associated with deadly cancers. The official initiative to change the name began in November 2019, but was delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Officials said the vote, which will be open to all residents ages 14 and up, might be delayed while the local council comes up with new potential names. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...bestos-searches-for-a-new-name/9311600454998/

There is a place in Northumberland called 'Shilbottle', however, I have yet to drive past the signs on the A1 and not seen it redubbed 'Shitbottle'

In a similar vein, there's a road in Exeter called Tuckfield Close. Strangely enough, when I drive past it, the "T" has frequently been transformed into an "F".

The university I went to in the early 70's was officially called "North Texas State University," and unofficially called by everybody "North Texas" or "NT." So the school radio station had the call letters KNTU. About a decade later, the state university system changed the school name to "The University of North Texas," called by everyone "UNT." The radio station did not change their call letters.

Some residents of the town of Silt, Colorado would rather the place had a more attractive name. There have been a couple of efforts over the years to change it, but apparently most people there are happy to say they live in Silt. It's a small place near Interstate 70, in a stretch that is not particularly interesting compared to the spectacular vistas in neighboring places. Origins of the name are obscure, but the railroad was the first major development by the European invaders in the area, so I'm sure it has something to do with that.

https://www.postindependent.com/news/fine-whine-new-name-for-silt/

Some residents of the town of Silt, Colorado would rather the place had a more attractive name. There have been a couple of efforts over the years to change it, but apparently most people there are happy to say they live in Silt. It's a small place near Interstate 70, in a stretch that is not particularly interesting compared to the spectacular vistas in neighboring places. Origins of the name are obscure, but the railroad was the first major development by the European invaders in the area, so I'm sure it has something to do with that.

https://www.postindependent.com/news/fine-whine-new-name-for-silt/
My maternal grandmother hailed from a village that rejoices in the name of Grimethorpe. It has a world-famous brass band. But I don't think that makes up for the name. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a sneaking admiration for its candour, but that is some distance away from actively liking it. Put it this way, I'm glad she moved to Bradford.

I have never visited Grimethorpe but it must be saying something if Bradford is considered as an upgrade!

There's a close in Brighton called Alan Way. The L and N are often swapped around with hilarious results.

Reminds me of Canal Street in Manchester's Gay Village.

I think the council have given up replacing the ever errant letter C.

Reminds me of Canal Street in Manchester's Gay Village.

I think the council have given up replacing the ever errant letter C.

What they do now is install the signs very high up on posts so they can't be reached. I may have had my photo taken with one few years ago.

And mention of canals reminds me of a case close to where I grew up.

Back in the 30's the village of Bugsworth, in the High Peak, changed it's name to Buxworth - after a campaign by a local schoolmaster and vicar, who for some reason found the 'bug' in Bugsworth made them uncomfortable. It may have had something to do with insects, but an old teacher of mine (ex RAF, and with the loudest speaking voice known to man) told us that as our benighted region contained no posh schools of any merit, buggery was not considered a right and proper thing to be associated with - hence the local distaste for anything, however tenuous, that may be associated with it.

That may be true, but the still functioning canal basin situated in the village has never been known as anything other than Bugsworth Basin - and as far as I know place-name induced outbreaks of homosexual activity are no more common there than anywhere else in the UK.

It's also still known as 'Buggy' to just about everyone local.

Last edited:
buggery was not considered a right and proper thing to be associated with - hence the local distaste for anything, however tenuous, that may be associated with it.

How very telling. 'Bugsworth' sounds nothing like 'buggery'. The lady (or gent!) doth protest too much!

Back