• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Channel 4's True Horror

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
True Horror: Channel 4’s new real-life horror show comes with a viewer warning
Viewer discretion is advised with Channel 4’s new spooky docudrama, True Horror.

It opens with a disclaimer – “scenes of paranormal activity may disturb viewers” – and goes on to combine straight-to-camera interviews and drama to deliver its apparently real-life tales.

Channel 4 is positioning the show to be a genuinely scary series. The first episode – which will be shown this week – focuses on one couple’s ghastly experience with a haunted new property.
https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/true-horror-channel-4/

Aha! A colleague just told me about this today.

We've recorded it and will probably watch tonight. I'm guessing it's a kind of Blair Witch/fake reality type scenario. That's what I meant by 'really bad'!

Was it? Oh no! I was looking forward to it. In what way was it so bad?

It was absurd, I wasn't expecting much, but this was truly ridiculous. If you've ever seen one of those cheapy little U.S shows on the obscure channels on Sky you'll know exactly what to expect.

We've recorded it and will probably watch tonight. I'm guessing it's a kind of Blair Witch/fake reality type scenario. That's what I meant by 'really bad'!

I recorded it and now have to go through the rigmarole of deleting it and cancelling the recording of the rest of the series.

I forgot to record it, going on the above I won't put too much effort into seeking it out.

There were so many cliches used here that there’s none left for the rest of the series.

Remote location. Check.
Loony dad. Check.
Disturbed animals. Check.
Something under the bed. Check.
Sinister member of the clergy. Check.
Same mad shitty monochromatic paintings you’ve seen in all these things. Check.
Claw like hand on the door. Check.
Hooded figure at the bottom of the bed. Check.

I could go on but you get the idea.

Last edited:
I'm irrationally really quite cross about this. Didn't Channel 4 have some sort of warning on the series too because it was 'so scary'? Ludicrous.

Yeah it was crap. I switched it off about half way through.

I'm irrationally really quite cross about this. Didn't Channel 4 have some sort of warning on the series too because it was 'so scary'? Ludicrous.

So am I. It was the shittiest U.S format from their most dire and obscure little channels, and we took it up and put it on a mainstream channel. How utterly pathetic.

Just watched the first ten minutes. The scariest thing was the vicar's hair.

It's called 'True Horror' because the prospect of watching it is true horror.
Glad I gave it a miss.

I kept thinking ‘Is this a joke?’. I expected more from C4 but this was written and directed by someone who presumably hasn’t seen any horror films in the last thirty years and presented this tired clichefest as something worth watching. Which it wasn’t.

I was hoping for a paranormal show, not some God-bothering tract pushing reactionary ultra-conservative Christianity. That pastor was beyond a joke, on what basis in truth was he telling us all his shite? It was a TV version of those awful Conjuring movies that try to scare the impressionable into finding Christ. I resent wasting an hour on it, oh for a decent supernatural TV show (where's Father Lionel now we need him?).

I did actually laugh when ‘Satan’ threw the book at them from the fire. Unfortunately the programme wasn’t detailed enough to reveal exactly which book. I hope it was ‘A Farewell to Arms’.
Probably not the viewer reaction the writer was looking for.

But logically, the claim that spooky books serve as portals for demons to enter our realm suggests that the printers and branches of Waterstones must be full of demonic activity which is never reported.

Last night’s was a lot creepier. They should have started the series with this episode as is got right into the scares from the outset.
But the cliches they didn’t use in the first episode turned up here.

I’m not really sure what the purpose of this series is apart from genre bingo. Given channel 4’s remit, it’s an odd thing in their schedules.

I think it's just really misplaced. The type of people who would watch this sort of thing probably already watch a great deal of horror films and are interested in all things Fortean, so have seen it all before. Those who don't and therefore might be spooked by it, probably won't watch, because they don't like this sort of thing.

Silly old Channel 4. :crazy:

Just as with the first programme, some important facts were omitted from this week's though.

Why, for example, leave out the pertinent fact that the weird, pink-haired mother worked as a clairvoyant medium?

She was obviously heavily involved in the supernatural long before the supposedly spooky events occurred. Did Channel 4 feel revealing this would have diminished the "woo" factor?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...-horror-cut-from-its-ghost-in-the-wall-story/

Back