• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Channeling

Dingo667

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Can you learn channeling [spirits]?
Is it something you are born with or could anyone train themselves?
What do messages from the beyond "sound" like, are they like a thought or a whispery voice or something else entirely?
Just that really.

I have a book about it somewhere.

If you read 'Doonesbury' you'll know all about it! :lol:

I really don't know much about mediumistic practices - assuming that by 'spirits' you mean 'the souls of the dead' or some such - but I did train myself fairly easily to communicate with non-corporeal entities within the framework of ritual magic(k) ....... and I am about as 'psychic' as a brick.

The experience varied from an inescapable feeling of 'this is just my own thoughts putting on a funny voice' to a very odd sensation of reapeatedly being hit painlessly round the head with a baseball bat.

As with most of these things the secret seems to be getting into that altered mental state that only a good few months of daily meditative work seems to permit, initially.

Well I am meditating a lot, so I might be half way there. However it may be that I am ignoring anything that might be of interest because I don't know what I'm looking for [if that makes sense]. By your account Lizard it is more of a feeling than actual voices? Is it similar to hearing your own talking in our head [which has our voice] or is it like actually hearing?

Well, suppose I have to be grateful for a couple of responses.
Also what or who is Doonsbury :confused:

So do you mean channeling the souls of the dead (as in mediumship)? Or are you talking about channeling the Ascended Masters (as in Theosophical-based belief systems)? Or what exactly?

Personally, I'm very sceptical about this channeling business. But if I wasn't, I'd probably suggest that it might be quite dangerous to simply passively open yourself up to any 'spirit' or whatever-they-are that happens to be passing by on the Astral Plane, so to speak. It strikes me as being a bit like inviting a random stranger in off the street just because you feel like having a conversation with someone.

graylien said:
So do you mean channeling the souls of the dead (as in mediumship)? Or are you talking about channeling the Ascended Masters (as in Theosophical-based belief systems)? Or what exactly?

Personally, I'm very sceptical about this channeling business. But if I wasn't, I'd probably suggest that it might be quite dangerous to simply passively open yourself up to any 'spirit' or whatever-they-are that happens to be passing by on the Astral Plane, so to speak. It strikes me as being a bit like inviting a random stranger in off the street just because you feel like having a conversation with someone.

Thats a little patronising. I not need any advise such as above, trust me on that. The reason I came up with the question is that I really want to know exactly what I asked for [no more and no less] as I can't find anything anywhere which gives me a clear and conscise answer. I also worded it pretty simplistic for the same reason. Oh by the way I meant spirits as in dead peoples souls ;)

I will have a look around for that book and if/when it surfaces I will send it to you.

Is it possible to channel someone who's still alive? Would they be insulted or creeped out? Drained, ect.? Or would they even be consciously aware of it? It seems it's always inter-dimensional aliens or disembodied spirits who people seem to be channeling.

Bannik said:
Is it possible to channel someone who's still alive? Would they be insulted or creeped out? Drained, ect.? Or would they even be consciously aware of it? It seems it's always inter-dimensional aliens or disembodied spirits who people seem to be channeling.

egg sandwiches.

You'd certainly be channelling something the day after a plate of those.

I like the idea of channeling somebody who is alive. I've not thought of turning the argument that way around before. My personal belief is that mediumship is a crock, but that there is an outside chance that psychic phenomena exist. In regards to entities: I don't believe in the souls of the dead communicating, however, I am not against the idea of different forms of intelligence in the Universe, using a different medium (ho ho) of existence, that is to say, energy states or what have you. After some study, my conclusion is that most experiences of 'channeling' are altered states of consciousness (itself an interesting area of study), but that there is very little evidence to suggest channeling qua channeling.

In regards to practice, I believe that the spiritualist church runs courses on developing 'these powers' and probably has literature to the same effect. I wonder how close these 'techniques' are to those practiced by remote viewers and those who astral travel?

this qua channeling thing. So we -they- can channel dead people, and live people... so what about animals, or plants for instance?

There's this rosemary bush next door that keeps sending me messages...

By your account Lizard it is more of a feeling than actual voices? Is it similar to hearing your own talking in our head [which has our voice] or is it like actually hearing?
I can only speak from my own limited experience but it is all very much in the head and not involving the usual senses at all and is pretty much qualitively indistinguishable from vivid imagining like a daydream. I often felt like my mind were a dark room and there was someone else in it.
The sensations I experienced were all very much internal also, there was a fair bit of head spinning and feeling dizzy and nauseous, that kind of thing. Some entities came through as unpleasant feelings like this and a deafening confusion of mental noise until requested to speak in such a way as I could understand them, at which point the internal dialogue would begin as usual.

There's this rosemary bush next door that keeps sending me messages...

I hope the bush sends 'lamb...lamb...lamb' Thereby confusing vegetarians, spiritualists and psychic monkeys.

Hmmm. My Bonobo Spirtualist group were a splinter faction of Psychic monkeys.

*{ lamb chops... lamb chops... lamb chops... }*

Ah. Of course. Now it makes sense :D

(lamb chops, lamb chops, lamb chops)

I'd be interested to listen to / speak to the dead, but I think it would be more of a burden as surely if you can communicate with one then all of them would want a piece of you. Like walking into a graveyard, locking eyes with one, then the rest of them realising you can see the dead and swarming you.

That scares me, a bit. The dead are supposed to be dead, after all...

You could start off with a Ouija board, just to get in 'contact' ...

Is that a good idea if you're not sure what you're doing? Won't it be like opening your front door and welcoming all and sundry in then complaining when the place got trashed?

I know they'll be a barrage of posts saying Ouija boards are a load of tosh, but it may be best to err on the side of caution and not fiddle with something so rudimentary.

Tyger_Lily said:
Is that a good idea if you're not sure what you're doing? Won't it be like opening your front door and welcoming all and sundry in then complaining when the place got trashed?
I'd have to agree with you totally on there. I'm sure someone put it best on this forum somewhere - it's like getting on the tannoy and waiting for the first person to get back to you, whoever it is.

That's a surefire way to get hold of the dead, but it's not guaranteed who you'd end up with.

I had a most unusual experience last night, was in the middle of an art-based task (painting a sculpey figure), whilst simultaneously psychically gnawing on a series of illuminations i am receiving from my HGA and i got words and a tune. I don't play any music instrument, cant read music etc so cant tell you the notes but the phonetic of the words was:

'Ips gelispent wonce ip sip see ip sep sohnday'

first time its happened, thought i'd share here...

_TMS_ said:
...'Ips gelispent wonce ip sip see ip sep sohnday'
Blimey! Some questions...

How were those words sung? Were they long and drawn out, or short and staccatto? Did the tune as sung make the words sound like English being said in a particular accent (Latin or Scandinavian or African..)?

stuneville said:
_TMS_ said:
...'Ips gelispent wonce ip sip see ip sep sohnday'
Blimey! Some questions...

How were those words sung? Were they long and drawn out, or short and staccatto? Did the tune as sung make the words sound like English being said in a particular accent (Latin or Scandinavian or African..)?

hmm, difficult to describe really. i wrote them down phonetically pretty much as soon as i realised i was doing it. They were as drawn out or short as it takes to read them out above. It was completely accent-less. i have broken the words up into the syllables as they seemed to be 'coming thru'. The tune, predictably, has been lost to me. i should have recorded it on the mic of my MP3 player. it wasnt a dirgelful chainsong type affair tho, more contemporary and quite western. Think travis or kooks f'rinstance - although it was almost certainly not anything that i recognised - 'aha, the middle-eight of pavements "bring on the major leagues"' for instance.

can't really add any more at this stage. if i get more, a few verses and chori (and remember the tune), i'll try out for X-factor with it next time the auditions come around this way:)

Having just noticed that I started this thread [duh], I feel that now is the time to share something that I couldn't talk/write about for a while because it was all too fresh.
My Mum and I were always very very close and when she died, I was devastated [still am but getting better].

So before I go on, I have to recap something else that keeps happening to me. I sometimes [strangely enough since my big amalgam filling has fallen out it has almost not happened at all and when it happens it is weak] hear in my inner ear kind of radio-esque noises. Often I would hear phonetically as if a human was speaking, then followed by "music", all as if you'd recieve it on the moon [i.E not recognisable].

My mum had a song by Edvard Grieg that we called "her" song. I wont tell you because it is too holy to me and it isn't important to the story.
I always feared that when she died one day and I would hear it somewhere it would make me very sad [I was soooo right].
Anyway. About a week after her sea burial [in Germany] I was back here and "received" my so called radio station again [this was before my filling fell out hehe].
I listened and almost jumped up because for the very first time ever I could not only hear that some music played but also recognise it.
It was of course my Mums song. I lay still and listened to it for a while, maybe 30 - 40 seconds and it was perfectly conducted, then it went "wonky", I.e notes started to go wrong and eventually it was just noises again.

I was so amazed by this and told my husband [who is very down to earth] but even he was amazed and agreed that if someone would want to get in contact, that the easiest would be to do it in music form [he is a computer McGyver btw and often compares things to the functioning of them], so he said that there not much memory would be needed [low BIT rate or something?] and that "sending" a melody is the least energy form to convey meaning.

I am myself often sceptic when anything happens and look for a rational explanation but this [please leave me believing it, I can come up with my own explanations if I wanted to but I don't] to me was my Mum.
I had hoped for some other form of contact and never thought about my "radio" in context as it hadn't happened in a while before that].
And what better evidence than her Song to make absolutely sure it is her?
Yup.
I shared it and it took me some inner strength but there it is.

At what I found out later was the exact moment my grandpa died, I heard some very strange interference on the radio. Probably coincidence, but I sometimes wonder, what if it wasn't? No answer to that, of course.

Thanks for sharing Dingo.

I can see why it would be a difficult thing to share.

I had an uncle I once only knew from seeing him at my Grandparents apartment on weekends when we would visit. We rarely spoke and when we did it was your regular old hello how are you goodbye type conversations.

When I grew up and got alot older, I had helped him move once, and a few weeks later I assisted him in getting his computer to reconnect to the internet.

That day I helped him do this, we spent a good 3 hours discussing our opinions on spirituality, ghosts, ufos, religion, politics and pretty much got to know each other. Our conversation mostly surrounded my grandfathers death and the lack of seeing him I had, on the contrary for himself though, as his account was that my grand father upon passing visited him while he was driving home in the passenger part of the car. He described over almost a week and a half my grandfather bothering him in his sleep and in his dreams and also during meditations that he was in darkness and there was no light. He did say that one night while speaking he did hear him say, ohh there they are and then went away.

This to me was believable but we agreed that night that if either of each other passed on that we would at least visit them and scare them to let them know there is life after death.

When my uncle passed away at around 54, he was living in a new apartment and I had not been in touch with him for almost 3 years from that visit. Earlier that week before finding out he passed on, I was awakened twice during the night specifically around 3:30 AM each time. The first time it happened, I was awoken from what felt like a deep sleep ( on my side ) and when I had opened my eyes, it felt like someone blew an eye lash out of my eye and from there, nothing more. The second night as I was laying on my stomach starting to get ready to start my way to dream land I had what felt like someone smacking me open palm in the center of my back. That morning I awoke to a cop banging at my door to tell my they found my uncle dead and he has been in there for quite a bit and its not a pretty sight.

This was only one of many experiences I have had with paranormal, but this one especially, I felt it may be best suited to be shared here :D

Back