Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
here is one of my favorites that I happen to have a photo of at the moment.

that's really quite special!

I trawl constantly - but my most frequent buy is a piece of clothing to be cut up for patchwork, knitting etc.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I used to do the collections for the Barnardo's shop in Brighton - you know, shove a bag through yer letterbox then come back and pick up yer donations a couple of days later.

Store policy was not to sell any electrical items as we'd have to pay to PAT test them, so they just told me to either leave electricals behind or keep them.

Got a boxed Commodore Amiga with hundreds of copied games (this was in 2005), and a nice Dual turntable!

I was collecting the full bags from outside houses one day, and I noticed the last few bags were damp - chucked them in the boot anyway, walked round the corner and spotted a woman letting her dog piss on all the bags as they wandered past.

Needless to say, extremely strong words were had (when I stopped retching).

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
She claimed that she thought the bright white bags with 'Barnardo's' plastered all over them in green were bags of rubbish.

I pointed-out that that someone would still have had to pick them up even if they were bags of rubbish, and she said that the "dirty bin men" wouldn't care!

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
I bought a bag of squirrels today so I'm happy. I also had a long hard think about buying a huge plush dog, but I didn't like the way its head flopped down.

I usually buy rather than donate, but I did recently give about a dozen business books to the Oxfam book shop. I'd got in the habit of buying them from WHSmith whenever I was sent on a train down to that London for meetings. Never actually read them. Does anyone? I reckon you could publish a book called something like Synergy: the 9 habits of Proactive Networkers with nothing but a load of blank pages inside and hardly anyone would notice.

Oh, and I bought myself a piggy bank from a charity shop the other day to keep spare change in. Today I realised it had a serious design flaw in that the hole in the bottom was too small to get a 50p piece through. The only way I could get it out was to poke it back through the top slot with a vegetable knife. And now I've misplaced the plug thing. So that didn't work out too well for me really.

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
Today I realised it had a serious design flaw in that the hole in the bottom was too small to get a 50p piece through. The only way I could get it out was to poke it back through the top slot with a vegetable knife. And now I've misplaced the plug thing. So that didn't work out too well for me really.

I think you are wrong! :D it means that it is brilliant at saving 50s becuase you won't spend them in a casual manner. When you really, really want something then you will invest the time to extricate them.

Or smash the piggy I suppose :eek:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding books offered at charity shops / yard sales / used book stores ...

The first things I scan for are hardcore reference works (e.g., dictionary; encyclopedia; thesaurus; data compendium) - especially ones that are topically or vocationally specialized (e.g., volumes of engineering data and standards).

Such books' contents never get completely obsoleted, and the discount in their pricing (compared to new / retail) can be 90% or more.

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
Wow! Wooden mushrooms! I didn't even know there was such a thing. I've so far resisted buying myself a wooden stag, which seem to be a staple of charity shops. Where do those wooden stags even come from? I've never seen them in 'proper' shops.

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
are the wooden stags carved onto a rather heavy base?

They may be the ones that 1950+ were sold as "african native carving" and therefore wildly exotic.

A relative had a wee herd of them and proudly showed them to the african curate; he said very diplomatically that they were beautiful but that they came from a different part of africa. Which I've always taken to mean Aberfeldy or Putney or Tiger Bay or somewhere.

But who knows? :)

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
are the wooden stags carved onto a rather heavy base
Yep - those are the ones! I've also seen many wooden elephants and rhinos. So I think you're on to something with the African theme.

I used to volunteer in a Fair Trade shop which sold all kinds of "African native carving" tat. I still have a couple of big headed fertility gods standing on the fridge, and a keyring charm. Does anyone in Africa actually buy this stuff, or is it purely made for the export market?

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
Wow! Wooden mushrooms! I didn't even know there was such a thing.
They show up at craft fairs sometimes, or sometimes in fair trade type shops that sell incense and brass statuettes of hindu gods. Never cheap, I guess always hand worked and that's what you pay for.

I only buy them if they're particularly appealing to me and cheap enough.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Most of the glass stuff on the shelves were found in charity shops, also the cyberman mask though iirc none of the wooden mushrooms.

I thought at first when you said wooden mushrooms before I looked at the picture that they were the ones people used to darn socks.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
That's actually a mask I made out of air drying clay a couple of years ago, which has mirror sunglasses lenses over the eyes and uses part of a dildo for the nose. It didn't come out right so it got left on the shelf.