Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

Monstrosa

Justified & Ancient
It was a cross between no2 in the line up and the dad out of Modern Parents in Viz. I can't gorget the photo you posted ,*The Horror, the Horror*

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Thats where they went, i lost two of those, Graylien abducted em :eek:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I'd wear that mask.
Sadly the end result came out too heavy, brittle and misshapen to really be worn - when my current cycling helmet gets too old to be safe I'll probably recyle it along with the lenses and wang for the Mk2 version.

If only they'd put Jimmy Saville on Blue Peter instead of giving him his own show.

marion

Ungnoing.
I think my best buy to date was a 1992 Stranglers tour t shirt (the one with Adam and Eve and the skeleton) for £2.50, worth a bit more (maybe £50) but I like it too much to sell anyway.

On a whim, I bought some Alien Invasion knockoff Lego from Poundland yesterday. This is called Space Cruiser, but it's clearly an Aliens-style Power Loader. I wouldn't recommend this for kids - it falls to bits if you breathe on it and is annoyingly fiddly to put together. The little mini alien is neat though. Having a masochistic streak, I might go back and get the other model in the range, which is an actual spaceship.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
MoonLight.JPG

A moon-shaped light, from Goodwill. Bought to entertain the kids. I had a time finding a place to hang it where the youngest couldn't reach the cord, so it's at an awkward angle. Don't know whether it's waxing or waning like that. Still, it does its job. :)

BottleAndStones.JPG

Glass bottle, pewter dish and assorted stones. Technically, more "junk shop" finds than charity shop or dollar store, but pretty close. The bottle was filled with garnets (those dark colored stones in the pic - I tried to photograph them to show their red color, but no dice) a few topaz, quartz, amethysts, etc. The peridots and fluorites & other unidentified stones I scrounged from similar shops at other times.

The large green fluorite and the scarab are a couple of my prized possesions. I once saw a daytime meteor that was the same color as the fluorite stone, and it makes a handy guide to describe it - "it was like this, but on fire! With streaming silver flames!" :D

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
View attachment 663
A moon-shaped light, from Goodwill. Bought to entertain the kids. I had a time finding a place to hang it where the youngest couldn't reach the cord, so it's at an awkward angle. Don't know whether it's waxing or waning like that. Still, it does its job. :)
The moon would only be seen at that angle when the sun is in the sky, and probably swamping out the feeble moonlight!

The sun would be in the direction indicated by the convex side of the moon. After the sun has set, that moon would appear in the evening sky as a New Moon, ie a waxing moon.

The cord is really in the wrong place. Maybe you could re-route it with one or two self-adhesive plastic hooks. This is a trick I use in my bathroom to keep the light cord away from the shower door! (The shower unit replaced an earlier one which just had a curtain.) Much to my surprise, the hooks have remained in place for years now - and just to bring this thing full circle, they came from a pack of a dozen which I bought in a pound shop!