Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Bought 4 x DVDs, Salford 03.11.2018, total price £3:
2533.D: The Heiress, 1949, dir. Wm. Wyler, 110'20" f/s, b & w, P.
2534.D: A Man Called Horse, 1970, dir. Elliot Silverstein, 110'32" 'scope, mono
2535.D: Une Parisienne, 1957, dir. Michel Boisrond, 81'18" + Trailers, 2'27" + 1'32" + Doc. 25'02" + scrolling-text Biogs. total 8' P.
2536.D: Love & Death on Long Island, 1996, dir. Richard Kwietniowski, 89'32" f/s, st. [open matte, zooms to 1.78:1]

Eccles - where the cakes come from - is seldom worth the bother during the week. Getting there is easy enough but the rush-hour traffic back through Salford is horrid. So it gets saved for Saturdays, usually. Not that it had anything to offer today. Sod Eccles, then! Dead-fly-cakes to them! Onwards and downwards . . .

Salford's grim Shopping City Precinct offers thirty minutes free parking; with luck you can find the wheels still on your car, when you get back! I got four DVDs.

Sometimes the notes appended to discs trigger thoughts and memories. Universal apologises for the standard of sound on parts of The Heiress as "not up to our usual high standards." Since Universal UK has produced so many disgraceful discs, I shudder to think how bad this one must be! It's not a film I know. Derived from Henry James' Washington Square and starring Olivia de Havilland and a young Monty Clift, directed by Willy Wyler, it won three Oscars, one for Aaron Copland's score. The case gets his name wrong.

If it had been made as an initiation ceremony in a Bolton dungeon, A Man Called Horse would have called down the wrath of the Law. As it's Richard Harris being suspended by his nips in a Native American initiation, it warrants just a 15-Certificate. There may be more to it than the tortures - but those are what you remember! A hilarious side-bar on the sleeve apologises for the fact that the makers believed they were recreating authentic Native American costumes but discovered the "Indians" had derived their notions of traditional dress from Hollywood westerns!

Une Parisienne was an unexpected find in Salford. It is a frothy Bardot vehicle from a French director I do not know. C'est la vie, the company behind the disc, appears to consist of true enthusiasts for niche continental titles, so I hope the quality will be better than PD! The sticky label on this one revealed it had come via HMV Guernsey, an effective tax-free conduit until 2012.

It may be one step up from Public Domain quality but the 1957 picture is presented as Academy Ratio, open matte, leaving it to viewers to adjust for more cinematic effect. It is pretty grainy but the Eastmancolor is not too bad. The promised Bardot documentary turns out to be one of those Hollywood Remembers efforts!

Love & Death on Long Island was a 1996 release, one of the few National Lottery-funded films to receive much critical approval, being based on film critic Gilbert Adair's story. It stars John Hurt as the ascetic intellectual who becomes obsessed with the teenage star of Hotpants College II. Essentially an ironic, late-20th Century footnote to Death in Venice, IIRC. Hurt is very good in it; when was he not?

The label on this shrink-wrapped copy outed it as a remnant from the last days of Music Zone, when it was priced at £1.99. Oddly enough, I do remember this title turning up in all their bargain-bins at the time. They must have acquired a job-lot! :thought:

Last edited:

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Love & Death on Long Island was a 1996 release, one of the few National Lottery-funded films to receive much critical approval, being based on film critic Gilbert Adair's story. It stars John Hurt as the ascetic intellectual who becomes obsessed with the teenage star of Hotpants College II. Essentially an ironic, late-20th Century footnote to Death in Venice, IIRC. Hurt is very good in it; when was he not?
I recall seeing that film when it came out and was pleasantly surprised that it was so entertaining. Hurt was indeed his usual wonderful self. I remember a scene in which Hurt's character purchases a VCR in order to view a film but doesn't understand that he also needs a television.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Months ago I debated the purchase of an insulated coffee travel mug - the Camelbak Forge - from John Lewis. It was beautifully made and looked the business, but £30?

I'm glad I waited:

Camelbak Forge cropped resized.jpg

£1.50p from a charity shop.

It was obviously a giveaway goodie at a Google seminar or some such bun fight, and the recipient didn't have the wit to research the value of what he was prepared to discard. His loss/my gain.

maximus otter

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Back on subject . . .

Bought 11 x DVDs, Shaw 09.11.2018, total price £2.50
2537-40.D: Steam, Steel & Stone, dir. David Hall, 2006, 8 x 29' ana. 1.78:1, st. Fred Dibnah documentary series, 8 of the 12 episodes, P.
2541.D: Throw Momma from the Train, dir. Danny de Vito, 1987, ana. 1.85:1, st. 83'54" + Trailer, 1'19"
2542-47.D: Band of Brothers, prod. Steven Spielberg, 2001, 10 episodes, 782' total, ana. 1.78:1, st. + Docs. 77'34" + 29'34" etc.]
Bought 10 x DVDs, Chadderton 09.11.2018, total price £4.50
1190-92.D: Cleopatra, SE, 241' + 119' Documentary etc. replaces original 1190-92.D bought 01.05.2010, sealed copy supersedes version bought 01.09.2018.
2548.D: The Poseidon Adventure, dir. Ronald Neame, 1972, ana. 'scope, mono. 112'12" + non-ana. w/s Trailer, 1'28" + Making of doc. 9'34" etc.
2549.D: Glenn Miller Story, dir. Anthony Mann, 1954, ana. 1.78:1, st. 107'48" supersedes f/s VHS version on 500b.V
2550.D: Mr. Lucky, dir. H. C. Potter, 1943, f/s, 99'50" P.
2550.D: None but the Lonely Heart, dir. Clifford Odets, 1944, f/s, 113'00" P.
2551.D: 55 Day at Peking, dir. Nicholas Ray, 1964, ana. scope, 147'29" + Trailer, 3'19" French bootleg edition? burned-in French subtitles, cf restored version on download 9189.D
2552.D: Libelled Lady, dir. Jack Conway, 1936, f/s, 98'09" + Audio Extra, 13'31" + Trailer, 2'47" P. [NB: Nominally Region 1 disc but plays]
2553.D: San Francisco, dir. W. S. Van Dyke, 1936. f/s, 115' + Alt ending, Gable doc, 2 shorts, cartoon + trailer, P? [NB: Region 1 disc, does not play]
2554.D: Dinner at Eight, dir. George Cukor, 1933, f/s, 110'49" TCM Harlow documentary, 46'59" + Parody Short, 22'11" + Trailer, 3'02" [NB: Region 1 disc but plays]

With DVD prices down to five-for-a-quid in Shaw and three-to-the-pound in Chadderton, I came home with a full bag. Portly Bolton steeplejack, Fred Dibnah was an unlikely tv celebrity easier, by all accounts, to like on the box than closer-to. Steam, Steel and Stone was a series created as a posthumous tribute, featuring the highlights of his television career with interpolated talking-heads. The four discs I found contained just eight of the twelve episodes but they were soon supplemented by the missing four as downloads from Youtube.

The de Vito comedy sounds to be in the best-possible taste with a plot derived from Hitchcock.

The popularity of the Spielberg war series is attested by the thousands of copies sold, now in every slush-pile, which rather detracts from its appeal. I had given it a wide berth, though it received much critical acclaim. The sight of a mint set for £1.50 swayed me.

Cleopatra was a factory-sealed set and hard to resist, though my first replacement set was in the nicer gold foil livery of earlier issues, together with the booklet, later omitted. The discs were same-old, same-old and it's a pretty grainy transfer tbh. I am more likely to replay the 2-hour documentary than the bum-numbing epic itself. Should a Bluray version land in my lap, however . . .

The upside-down ship epic created much amusement when it was screened to university audiences back in the day. It was not, I see, exactly fresh then but had quickly become a camp classic. Leslie Nielsen was Captain, so it is tempting to think it was intended as a spoof from the start, though he was yet to enter his intentionally-comic phase. With Shelley Winters, it was always harder to say!

The corny old Glenn Miller Story was a great favourite of my parents. I struggled to span some of the splashy chords of the Introduction, transcribed for piano; the film won a prize for its sound which I never did! Old VHS copies arrived with stickers boasting of the HIFi sound but getting them to track was always hit-and-miss. This DVD is anamorphic 1.78:1 and grainy. I trust the sound will be passable, though I have some downloaded MP4s of the tunes, which are seriously impressive.

A useful double-bill of Cary Grant films turned up on a Universal disc, one of the few from their big Grant set that had not previously come my way. Clifford Odets and Grant is an unusual combination, since social earnestness tends to get in the way of style. I still find that.

The unbranded French disc of the Ray epic is a curio. It turns out to be an anamorphic, dual-layer transfer but it is ugly, with sharpening of a low-res. image. Much inferior to the restored version I downloaded for free! That included the Overture and Interval trappings, which these event-pictures wore like fur coats and silk gloves. I like those days, though I was never there.

I greedily scooped up the two Jean Harlow titles and San Francisco, without noticing that the Warners DVDs were Region 1. It is, however, always worth checking and two of the three play in my machine without bother. San Francisco will have to await me firing up an old Mac, whose player can be safely switched to Region 1 permanently. :hunger:

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Back on subject . . .

Bought 11 x DVDs, Shaw 09.11.2018, total price £2.50
2537-40.D: Steam, Steel & Stone, dir. David Hall, 2006, 8 x 29' ana. 1.78:1, st. Fred Dibnah documentary series, 8 of the 12 episodes, P.
2541.D: Throw Momma from the Train, dir. Danny de Vito, 1987, ana. 1.85:1, st. 83'54" + Trailer, 1'19"
2542-47.D: Band of Brothers, prod. Steven Spielberg, 2001, 10 episodes, 782' total, ana. 1.78:1, st. + Docs. 77'34" + 29'34" etc.]
Bought 10 x DVDs, Chadderton 09.11.2018, total price £4.50
1190-92.D: Cleopatra, SE, 241' + 119' Documentary etc. replaces original 1190-92.D bought 01.05.2010, sealed copy supersedes version bought 01.09.2018.
2548.D: The Poseidon Adventure, dir. Ronald Neame, 1972, ana. 'scope, mono. 112'12" + non-ana. w/s Trailer, 1'28" + Making of doc. 9'34" etc.
2549.D: Glenn Miller Story, dir. Anthony Mann, 1954, ana. 1.78:1, st. 107'48" supersedes f/s VHS version on 500b.V
2550.D: Mr. Lucky, dir. H. C. Potter, 1943, f/s, 99'50" P.
2550.D: None but the Lonely Heart, dir. Clifford Odets, 1944, f/s, 113'00" P.
2551.D: 55 Day at Peking, dir. Nicholas Ray, 1964, ana. scope, 147'29" + Trailer, 3'19" French bootleg edition? burned-in French subtitles, cf restored version on download 9189.D
2552.D: Libelled Lady, dir. Jack Conway, 1936, f/s, 98'09" + Audio Extra, 13'31" + Trailer, 2'47" P. [NB: Nominally Region 1 disc but plays]
2553.D: San Francisco, dir. W. S. Van Dyke, 1936. f/s, 115' + Alt ending, Gable doc, 2 shorts, cartoon + trailer, P? [NB: Region 1 disc, does not play]
2554.D: Dinner at Eight, dir. George Cukor, 1933, f/s, 110'49" TCM Harlow documentary, 46'59" + Parody Short, 22'11" + Trailer, 3'02" [NB: Region 1 disc but plays]

With DVD prices down to five-for-a-quid in Shaw and three-to-the-pound in Chadderton, I came home with a full bag. Portly Bolton steeplejack, Fred Dibnah was an unlikely tv celebrity easier, by all accounts, to like on the box than closer-to. Steam, Steel and Stone was a series created as a posthumous tribute, featuring the highlights of his television career with interpolated talking-heads. The four discs I found contained just eight of the twelve episodes but they were soon supplemented by the missing four as downloads from Youtube.

The de Vito comedy sounds to be in the best-possible taste with a plot derived from Hitchcock.

The popularity of the Spielberg war series is attested by the thousands of copies sold, now in every slush-pile, which rather detracts from its appeal. I had given it a wide berth, though it received much critical acclaim. The sight of a mint set for £1.50 swayed me.

Cleopatra was a factory-sealed set and hard to resist, though my first replacement set was in the nicer gold foil livery of earlier issues, together with the booklet, later omitted. The discs were same-old, same-old and it's a pretty grainy transfer tbh. I am more likely to replay the 2-hour documentary than the bum-numbing epic itself. Should a Bluray version land in my lap, however . . .

The upside-down ship epic created much amusement when it was screened to university audiences back in the day. It was not, I see, exactly fresh then but had quickly become a camp classic. With Leslie Nielsen as Captain, it is tempting to think it was a spoof from the start but he was yet to enter his intentionally-comic phase. With Shelley Winters, it was always hard to say!

The corny old Glenn Miller Story was a great favourite of my parents; I used to struggle to span some of the splashy chords of the Introduction, transcribed for piano. The film won a prize for its sound which I never did! My VHS copies arrived with stickers boasting of the HIFi sound but getting them to track was always hit-and-miss. The DVD is anamorphic 1.78:1 and grainy. I trust the sound will be passable, though I have some downloaded MP4s of the tunes, which are seriously impressive.

A useful double-bill of Cary Grant films turned up on a Universal disc, one of the few from their big Grant set that had not previously come my way. Clifford Odets and Grant is an unusual combination, since social earnestness tends to get in the way of style.

The unbranded French disc of the Ray epic is a curio. It turns out to be an anamorphic, dual-layer transfer but ugly with sharpening of a low-res. image. It is much inferior to the restored version I downloaded. That included the Overture and Interval trappings, which these event-pictures wore like fur coats and silk gloves.

I greedily scooped up the two Jean Harlow titles and San Francisco, without noticing that the Warners DVDs were Region 1. It is, however, always worth checking and two of the three play in my machine without bother. San Francisco will have to await me firing up an old Mac, whose player can be safely switched to Region 1 permanently. :hunger:
I don't know where you find the time to watch all this stuff!

Kryptonite

Seeker of truth, drinker of tea.
Took some books to the charity shop today but ended up buying another four;

2061 by Arthur C Clarke
Platoon Bravo Company by Robert Hemphill (Vietnam stuff)
Night Shift by Stephen King (because it's the same edition as the one my older cousin gave me when I was really too young for reading Stephen King, and I felt all nostalgic and wistful when I saw it)
and, a collection of Terry Wogan's Sunday Telegraph columns.

A bit of an odd combination of books, but I'll read them all, and it's 4.50 to a deserving charity.

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Just one yesterday in Middleton, from their bargain-bin at that. Three for a quid or £0.50 each. I settled for the one:

2555.D: Stanley Poo Brick, a Life in Film, 2001

Not my favourite director, by a long way, but this 137' documentary ought to convert me, if anything could. It's one of those non-anamorphic unflushable jobbies that shifts ratio every few minutes. Best left on full-screen, then. Old-fashioned snapper case issue. :buck:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Very tragic indeed, she suffered from kidney failure which would be treatable today.
I think it was treatable then, too, but the rumour was her "difficult" mother advised her against getting it properly seen about. An awful story all round, one of those I kind of wish I hadn't read about.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Bought 6 x DVDs, Harpurhey 17.11.2018, total price £0.99:
2556-57.D: League of Gentlemen, Series 2, 175' dir Steve Bendelack, 2000, + Comms. + Extras, supersedes off-air versions, 194.V
2558.D: The Bourne Identity, 114' dir. Doug Liman, 2002, ana 'scope, P
2559.D: The Bourne Supremacy, 104' dir. Paul Greengrass, 2004, ana 'scope, P
2560.D: The Bourne Ultimatum, 110' dir. Paul Greengrass, 2007, ana 'scope, P
2561.D: Puccini: La Bohème, 121' dir. Robin Lough from 2009 Covent Garden production, ana. w/s, st. Hibla Gerzmava & Teodor Ilincai, P.

There are so many DVD copies out there of favourite tv series, such as Father Ted and The League of Gentlemen that there never seems to be any pressing need to acquire them, while the off-air tapes slumber undisturbed. I see the DVDs of LoG, Series 2 has cast Commentaries etc. So it won't be long before Series 1 seems necessary, now I have started the upgrade.

The Bourne films are in every slush-pile too. Angry-man-with-a-gun-on-the-cover-films, the kind I mainly avoid. This was the trilogy-in-a-tin, however, so I took the plunge. So far as I know, these are barebones versions but producers are curiously reticent about listing Extras on bulk purchases. Maybe they don't know! To be honest, it is often a relief when modern films don't carry scads of Extras. Mainly, they are about as welcome as the twenty-minute end-titles.

It was the opera disc I really wanted, though there are several Bohèmes on VHS already, including a Karajan from the early days of INTEL. I do not know this modern cast at all but it is always good to find opera DVDs at rock-bottom prices! Where is the Scrooge smiley? :hunger:

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Thursday was a busy day for going places, taking in Hyde, Ashton and Harpurhey. The pickings were slim, just one upgrade:
Bought DVD, Hyde 22.11.2018, total price £0.99:

2562.D: Judgment* at Nuremberg, 179' dir. Stanley Kramer, 1961, non-ana. 1.66:1, b & w - supersedes 1196.V, P.

I have heard the film described as a colossal bore but it features Maximilian Schell, who went on to make a famous documentary on his co-star Marlene Dietrich. She chose never to show her face in that!

It's not that I'm a huge fan of Schell but I slept in his room. When I say his room, I mean the one named after him in a hotel with a classic view of the Danube. He certainly visited the hotel, so maybe it was! :adored:

*The MGM DVD spells it "Judgement" but it is Judgment everywhere else!

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Bought 1 DVD, Oldham 24.11.2018, total price £1.79:
2563.D: Fahrenheit 451, 108' etc. dir. François Truffaut, 1966, ana. 1.85:1, + Comm. by Christie, Docs. etc. P.
Bought 8 x DVDs, Chadderton 24.11.2018, total price £2.00:
2564.D: Shawshank Redemption, 136' dir. Frank Darabont, 1994, ana. 1.78:1, st. + Interviews + Trailer, supersedes w/s VHS on 1244.V
2565.D: Marriage of Maria Braun, 115' dir. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1979, w/s, + Docs, Short + Trailer, supersedes 1145.V P?
2566.D: London to Brighton, 83' dir. Paul Andrew Williams, 2006, ana. scope, st. + Comm. Extras, Short, etc. P.
2567.D: The Bourne Legacy, 129' dir. Tony Gilroy, 2012, ana. scope, st. P.
2568-71.D: Breaking Bad, Season 4, 585' 13 episodes, 2011, ana. 1.78:1, st. + Extras, 120' c P.

I was pleased to find the Truffaut title in Oldham. It has a coincidence attached to it, recounted in the Coincidence thread! It was, however, a stop-off in Chadderton, which produced the bargains.

The Stephen King prison-set, man-love drama is everywhere and much-celebrated as an example of Joe Public taking a film to heart which had essentially gone straight to video. This DVD should, at least, look more cinematic than my newspaper freebie which was full-screen ratio. A widescreen VHS version can also be binned.

I must have seen most of Fassbinder's output on television in the eighties, when telly did serious by the season. Damned if I can remember which ones I have seen! This promises to be a Germanic sore-picking fest on the theme of WWII; Hanna Schygulla's stockings play a major rôle. There are lavish Extras!

London to Brighton, a gritty tale of violent pimps, seems to have won a lot of critical acclaim in 2006. Brighton Pier plays an important rôle, as it did in so many earlier flicks. The film is mercifully brief, so the package is filled up with a lucky-bag of Extras!

The other titles are dubious completism at work. Having picked up three Bourne thrillers just a week ago, the fourth was bound to be added, when nearly-free. So here it is, another scowly gun-face on the cover, a volcano in his neck from steroids. Kids of 12-and-above can see it. Ought anyone much older?

The first three seasons of Breaking Bad turned up in September, just over the road. Now I need only the 16-part final season. When I say need . . . :atom:

henry

still speeding
... and i thought i went in a lot of charity shops ! mercifully i seem to have stopped buying all the crazy tat i come across ... money spent on films and records is always permitted however ...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I must have seen most of Fassbinder's output on television in the eighties, when telly did serious by the season. Damned if I can remember which ones I have seen! This promises to be a Germanic sore-picking fest on the theme of WWII; Hanna Schygulla's stockings play a major rôle. There are lavish Extras!
Fassbinder's most successful film commercially, I believe. Hannah looking like a movie star picking her way through the debris. Because I'm shallow, I enjoyed the bit where she breaks off from German to swear in English for a while.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Most of my charity-shop rooting is a solitary practice, so it was pleasant to have an afternoon in Altrincham with two chums, devoted to the sport. B's wicked objective - one of them - was to find some Christmas tat that would really annoy his partner. F. is altogether more business-like and buys stuff she can resell on Ebay. Altrincham does not usually have a lot of ultra-bargains; the hope is to find something off the beaten track.

I was tempted by a compendious, 1930s cinema handbook, but they wanted £15 and it was not in good nick. I passed on to B. a cookbook by the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire - he was delighted to find it was a signed copy! It can join the rest of his Mitford library. The Duchess admits, in the Preface, that she has not actually done any cooking for half a century. She died in 2014.

I was more delighted by the Plaza Cookbook, a volume of recipes and reminiscences, evidently produced as a fundraiser for Stockport's delightfully-refurbished super-cinema! £1.29. I think the opus by the Duchess cost the same.

I was not enthused by some common-enough classical LPs at up to £12.99 in the British Fart Foundation shop. Who prices these things? Much better value, in another store, was the hardback compendium of Flann O'Brien's novels, Viking edition, 2007, £1.79. Mint condition.

The DVDs were rarities too:
Bought 3 x DVDs, Altrincham 30.11.2018, total price £2:
2572-73.D: Heima, 97' dir. Dean DeBlois, 2007, 1.78:1, st. featuring Sigur Rós, + 2nd DVD of complete songs, P.
2574.D: Life & Works of Richard Wagner, 82' dir. Carl Fröhlich, 1913, silent with Commentary by Tony Palmer, P.

I hadn't a clue what Heima was, though I could tell it was Icelandic. The packaging is artistic - just a list of chapters and some nice artwork. It assumes we recognize Sigur Rós, the name of the band concerned. I may, at least, enjoy the scenery!

Heima, 2007, rock-doc. featuring Icelandic band Sigur Rós, on tour in their native land, in stunning locations. Disc one is the feature film. Disc two features full versions of their songs.

Entitled Silent Wagner with a Mark Twain quote on the cover, "Wagner's music is better than it sounds," this issue looks like a joke - I assumed it was a silent DVD. So it is: the user has the option of a silent listen or a commentary - said to be "snarky" - by Tony Palmer, who made his own nine-hour biopic of Wagner. Fröhlich's was the first-ever biopic. Online, there is news that later issues of the film include the rediscovered score by Giuseppe Recce, who also plays the composer!:hapdan:

I see the version with the music is on Youtube with a running-time of 104 minutes. No chance of running the DVD with the soundtrack, then.
Discrepancies of timing in films of this era are often due more to speed than edits. The Youtube version is a Murnau Foundation restoration with tints, featuring a live orchestral accompaniment, German intertitles and English subtitles. The subtitles did not download for me and the soundtrack deteriorates badly in the last fifteen minutes or so. I have yet to preview the DVD.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Heima is like a cross between rock concert and nature documentary, it's nice enough, though the band sing in made-up gibberish which should give you some idea of how precious they are. I saw the film when they broadcast it for free on YouTube a few years back. The DVD may have been given away recently because one of the band (since left - or booted out) has been accused of rape.