Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

Kryptonite

Seeker of truth, drinker of tea.
Look at the size of that sandwich!!
That looks like some of the footlong monstrosities I've seen people buying in Subway.

I've no idea how people manage to eat those, especially the ones that seem to have half a pound of cheese and a small animal worth of meat in them.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Is Dougal sitting on a chair?
He is disconcertingly abridged, I think. Granted, the series had him move around like a legless brush but there is something sphinx-like about his presence at this mysterious festival. :gent:

He is crowned with the toque, so is credited with producing this odd banquet hands-free! The gob-stopping double-decker sandwich has been mentioned; it seems to have a smaller relation in front. Alfalfa sprouts for filling? With a hollowed-out cabbage full of mayonnaise. Just two of the kids will get a dubious-looking pink milk-shake in a pint tankard each. Maybe they will have to fight for them. The Magic Roundabout itself is a coconut sponge ridden by turds and there are some scattered lollipops to share the rest of the space with dismal picnic utensils. They could at least have piped "Can't be Arsed" on the cake to complete the impression! :party:

Paul Hamlyn's Octopus outfit was renowned for tight budgets and austere production-values, their books being printed in Eastern Europe. It would not surprise me if the kiddies were procured from a Prague orphanage - along with their supper! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bad Bungle

Ephemeral Spectre
I made a resolution not to buy more Tut until I'd chuck some out to make room - huh. Saw the Snowman seat (Fountasia pottery) at the on-site Municipal dump Recycling Centre Charity shop but wasn't that tempted - until the Staff pointed out a second one. Guess some-one must have paid the original £39.99 price tag for each (I paid £4.00 for both).
Seats2389A.jpg

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
That looks like some of the footlong monstrosities I've seen people buying in Subway.

I've no idea how people manage to eat those, especially the ones that seem to have half a pound of cheese and a small animal worth of meat in them.
The bread is frighteningly light in texture, if they were 'regular' bread, they'd be far far more filling.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
No other information needed! :buck:

I like the way it works with the sign beneath, "It matters not how long we live but how."

The conception must have been a thing to witness! :omg:
I was wondering who would be the first person to clock the writing underneath :wii: .. of course they run wild along the Cromer cliff tops you know ..

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Blood Simple is one of the all time great debuts.
I've recently read sections of an undergrad textbook on film-making and audio editing to teach a first year university student and then watched Blood Simple earlier tonight--much food for thought.

It's would be a great example to play her--lots of clever-verging on-tongue-in-cheek devices--but from our few lessons so far I'm not sure she'd be able to take it psychologically!

As you say, it's a great piece of film-making. If it were black and white and the violence were implied not shown, it could have been made in the 50s. The plot has Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler written all over it.

There are also a good number of themes and visual ticks here that recur in their later films.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

escargot

Beloved of Ra

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient

Kryptonite

Seeker of truth, drinker of tea.
Found out that my local charity bookshop was closing for a refit today and that they were having a sale. Popped in since I'm off work today and found they were selling all of their books at 10 for £1!

Due to this, I am now the proud owner of...

• The World of the Paranormal - 1998 hardback collecting articles from the Unexplained partwork
  • Cosmic Top Secret by William F Hamilton III - UFO stuff, introduction by John Lear
  • Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Daniken - think I gave my old copy away...
  • Ask the Past - compendium of advice from medieval books. Sample page - How to Impress Girls At A Dance, someone called Antoninus Arena advises that rabies and intestinal gas do not tend to be attractive qualities to females. Who knew?
  • UFO Visitation by Alan Watts - flying saucer stuff
  • Hellblazer vol.4 - horror comics
  • Left Foot Forward by Garry Nelson - football autobiography
  • The Visitors Book by Sophie Hannah - short stories
  • Frank Skinner's autobiography - life story of the noted funnyman
  • Bob Crampsey's World Cup Preview Argentina 1978 - little book which looks ideal for settling (or starting) pub arguments in the late 70s. Contains pages for autographs and spaces where the reader can add any 'notable incidents' during the tournament.
  • I Think Therefore I Play by Andrea Pirlo - read it before but it's so good I'll read it again
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits by John and Anne Spencer - hardback compendium of spooky stuff
  • Lost Worlds by Robert Charroux - judging by the back cover blurb, this book is either going to be absolutely fantastic or bloody awful. Not sure which.
  • 3 x Reggie Perrin books - nice 70s editions with Leonard Rossiter on the covers
  • 4 x Wizard of Id books - American comedy cartoons from the 60s and 70s
A lot of reading ahead. I gave the guy on the till a couple of extra £££ since I'd gotten such a good bargain, but he wouldn't take it and gave it back. I'll make a donation next time I'm in after their refit.

Last edited: