Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

ChasFink

Devoted Cultist

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Returning to 'charity shop finds', I made a brilliant one today:-

Let me say to begin with, I'm a "clock" person -I don't know how it happened, but I like complicated /old fashioned /unusual clocks, and have quite a few dotted around the house.
Anyway , today I was casually browsing in one of my local charity shops, and picked up a little carriage clock ( French, 8 day movement) just sitting there on the bric-a -brac shelves. It was quite heavy, and you could see the delicate brass insides.
I opened the back and gave the integral key a little twist.There was a slight click, and the clock started ticking.
I felt a teeny bit excited, and decided to risk the £2.99 and buy it,
So I did, and it's still ticking and keeping excellent time more than twelve hours later.

Pleased? You bet!

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Damn, it was a fiver, and the mug out of the box was the sellers, not the one Swifty might have got

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

Let me say to begin with, I'm a "clock" person -I don't know how it happened, but I like complicated /old fashioned /unusual clocks, and have quite a few dotted around the house.
Anyway , today I was casually browsing in one of my local charity shops, and picked up a little carriage clock ( French, 8 day movement) just sitting there on the bric-a -brac shelves. It was quite heavy, and you could see the delicate brass insides.
I opened the back and gave the integral key a little twist.There was a slight click, and the clock started ticking.
So I did, and it's still ticking and keeping excellent time more than twelve hours later.

Pleased? You bet!
I have a BRILLIANT clock. It's totally kitsch. Beside the clock there's a little stage with figures of a dancing couple, which you wind up like a musical box to see them twirl around. I'm guessing it's from the '60s.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Pleased? You bet!
If it's an old one, you got a real bargain.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
A trip down to Altrincham yesterday to go charidee-raiding with an old chum. He found a few things he liked, starting with a trifle-bowl in the first place we hit. I was unenthused by anything. A mad episode of rain had flooded his garage, where he stored a few things. He was luckier than a neighbour, who used her garage entirely for storage!

I was rather glad I had opted for the tram, rather than the car and there was just time, despite continuing rain, to interrupt the homeward journey at Sale to see if I could break my duck.

Success!

LP bought, Sale 31.07.2019, total price £1.00
5887.M: Sullivan: Pirates of Penzance, excerpts, Cast, Chorus & Orchestra, Malcolm Sargent, from HMV B 3846-51, r. 1931, Music for Pleasure MFP 2143, issued 1968 c
+ h/b book: Kings of the Grail by Margarita Torres Sevilla & José Miguel Ortega del Rio, 2015, translated by Rosie Marteau see Amazon reviews here.

A run-of-the-mill bargain LP of the sixties is misleadingly-entitled "Excerpts from the 1931 recording." In fact, MFP 2143 contains the whole of the "Concise" edition of Pirates, as recorded on six 10" 78s in 1931. HMV elected to create this edition, despite having recorded a "complete" version with nearly the same cast on 11 x 12" discs, just two years earlier, Sargent in charge of both. I had just a single disc from the concise set so I was glad to be able to get the rest of it. Online versions of the 1929 set are comparatively easy to find.

The grail book looks like pseudo-history to me but there are some nice pictures and an exploration of the ideas connecting Jewish ritual and Christian Eucharistic beliefs which are thought-provoking. Worth the £0.50 p. asked for a mint copy of the £20 cover-price volume.

4 x CDs, bought, Chadderton 01.08.2019, total price £2.00:
615-18.CD: J. S. Bach: WTK, Books I & II, Jenö Jandö, piano, Naxos 8.553796-7 & 8.550970-1, r. 02 to 10.12.1995, 14 to 17.09 & 13 to 16.10.1993, Unitarian Church, Budapest.

Hungarian pianist, Jenö Jandö, was very much a Naxos discovery. He was kept very busy in various Budapest locations recording Beethoven sonatas etc. for the bargain label, picking up much approval, where he was up against many more starry names. Here was his traversal of the complete Wohltemperierte Klavier on 4 x CDs for just £2. From the stickers, I see the two sets were sold at £9.99 each by Our Price Records. 10% of that seems decent value, though we are nearly a quarter-of-a-century on from that era! :omr:

Last edited:

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Two items purchased an hour ago on a rare day off are of interest to me: a fine bone china mug (tea always tastes better) from the Roy Kirkham Strawberry range and is a replacement for one I loved (and lost) over the past ten years. The second item is a commemorative spoon from Highclere Castle. My brother and me were returning from the New Forest (Hampshire) two years ago and in need of a coffee and a wee - saw a sign for Cream Teas and followed the road to Highclere Castle without knowing a thing about it. Greeted with a large cardboard cut-out of Hugh Bonneville inside the House, the penny dropped we were in Downton Abbey - except we weren't because that's fictional - we were in the much more interesting stately pile of the Earl of Carnarvon. Had we known, instead of the House and gardens we would got a ticket for the gardens and Egyptian exhibition - this contained items from the Tutankhamun tomb (discovered by the 5th Earl) that never made it to the museums, found in parts of the House by the present Earl and his butler in the 1980's.

Kirkham_0394.jpg

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
St Margaret of Scotland Hospice Shop - £3.00 - an as new bone china tea pot, decorated with the flowers that are also my middle name. Would post a picture but then you'd know what my middle name is and I'd have to leave and be registered in 5 years time under a new identity :)

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
Two items purchased an hour ago on a rare day off are of interest to me: a fine bone china mug (tea always tastes better) from the Roy Kirkham Strawberry range and is a replacement for one I loved (and lost) over the past ten years. The second item is a commemorative spoon from Highclere Castle. My brother and me were returning from the New Forest (Hampshire) two years ago and in need of a coffee and a wee - saw a sign for Cream Teas and followed the road to Highclere Castle without knowing a thing about it. Greeted with a large cardboard cut-out of Hugh Bonneville inside the House, the penny dropped we were in Downton Abbey - except we weren't because that's fictional - we were in the much more interesting stately pile of the Earl of Carnarvon. Had we known, instead of the House and gardens we would got a ticket for the gardens and Egyptian exhibition - this contained items from the Tutankhamun tomb (discovered by the 5th Earl) that never made it to the museums, found in parts of the House by the present Earl and his butler in the 1980's.

View attachment 19440
Your mugshot has slipped a stealthy stiletto of homesickness into my ribs: that's what tea and coffee come in at my parents' house, thousands of miles away.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
St Margaret of Scotland Hospice Shop - £3.00 - an as new bone china tea pot, decorated with the flowers that are also my middle name. Would post a picture but then you'd know what my middle name is and I'd have to leave and be registered in 5 years time under a new identity :)
Assumed your middle name was Des. Oh come on you little tea pot teaser, I bet it's a beauty - show us the polaroids.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty