Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Wasn't that a common fault with early CDs?
There were complaints of it happening. In the day, it was the medium that was announced on Tomorrow's World as indestructible. I think they smeared one with marmalade.

The reported faults were due to failures in the lamination-process: it would start at the outer edge or the centre-hole and cause the metal layer to oxidise*. The one I have just bought has a corroded patch affecting the middle tracks of the disc. It does play but there is some bad distortion in that region. I'm surprised any of it plays! Anyway, the set was worth a quid for the booklet with the essays, full text and English translation! :party:

*Similar faults were reported about the early DVDs some fifteen years later. That turned out mainly to affect early products of the Technicolor factory. Prophets of doom reported that they were keeping all their tapes, as the longevity of the new-fangled discs was unknown. The earliest CDs are about 36 years old now; the ones I have dug out for inspection seem to be doing just fine! :)

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Car boot sale purchase of the week - a pair of 1950s Singer pinking shears, immaculate, in their only slightly tatty box. The handles are tiny! Made for a woman's hand.
They're probably going to Escette for xmas along with her vintage 1980s sewing machine.
My Mum has a couple of those.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Car boot sale purchase of the week - a pair of 1950s Singer pinking shears, immaculate, in their only slightly tatty box. The handles are tiny! Made for a woman's hand.
They're probably going to Escette for xmas along with her vintage 1980s sewing machine.
'A WOMAN'S HAND!!! ARRRGGGHH!!!'

Tom Baker chews the scenery in Blackadder:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Got four wooden fishing kitties last year, but today I saw a Mummy cat patiently waiting with a supper bowl (50p)
(not a cat person but they're kinda cute).

View attachment 20744
I bought something like that a couple of years ago from a woman at a cat boot sale. She was selling it because its staring eyes creeped her husband out!

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Was in the local animal rescue charity shop on Saturday. They had a child's soft toy of a snail. Immediately though of Escargot. Problem is,' you don't know where its been'.... (The child's toy that is, not Escargot)... :worry:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Was in the local animal rescue charity shop on Saturday. They had a child's soft toy of a snail. Immediately though of Escargot. Problem is,' you don't know where its been'.... (The child's toy that is, not Escargot)... :worry:
Heh, you CERTAINLY don't know where I'VE been!

The soft toy's hygiene is not a problem as it'll be machine washable. Same doesn't apply to me, I'm staying dirty.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
I seem to be drawn to pots and mugs with an alpine strawberry design - very Roy Kirkham. Anyway, pot was 50p and I took it to the office and put a Salaginella (clubmoss) in it. Said plant then died over the weekend through lack of watering. Have just learnt that moss goes dormant when dry but recovers with moisture (aka the "Resurrection Plant"). It didn't recover - but probably shouldn't have given it a No. 2 with scissors before going home today.

Plant0486.jpg

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
A fallow period was broken on Friday with the acquisition of a 2 x LP set in Heywood. Price was just £1 but the bloke twisted my arm to pay another quid for a tombola ticket. I won! It was a donated mug in a box, advertising a kitchen company. Not even a nice shape.

Discs were the BBC set of Gerard Hoffnung reliques:
5903-04.M: Hoffnung, a Last Encore, BBC REF 157 M, issued 1973.

I had the tape cassette version of this but the 12" vinyl format shows off the Hoffnung artwork! Lovely condition. :loveu:

1 x VHS & 5 x DVD set, bought Middleton, 24.11.2019, total price £1.50:
1386.V: I'm All Right, Jack, dir. Roy Boulting, 1959
2733-37.D: Pink Panther Collection, starring Peter Sellers.

Weird pricing! The shrink-wrapped DVD set was just £1. The VHS tape, the first I had bought since April, and only the fourth in two years, was 50p. I am not a Sellers fan but he is part of cinema history. My father would laugh himself silly at the Pink Panther films, when they turned up on telly - which was often. I wonder how they will play, now I can see them in a more cinematic format. :thought:

Edit: The convoluted history of the Pink Panther films is given on this Wikipedia page.
The 5-disc set comprises The Pink Panther, A Shot in the Dark, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Revenge of the Pink Panther and the notorious posthumous Sellers outing in Trail of the Pink Panther. I can see why a Sellers-based set might exclude the Arkin film but it also omits The Return of the Pink Panther. :sherlock:

The Boulting Brothers' Industrial Relations drama, featuring Sellers as a Hitlerian shop-steward, always seemed plain depressing but here was an economical way to fill another gap . . .

Last edited:

Kondoru

Antediluvian
I am skint and havent been shopping in a while, but the other day I got

`Something for Nothing` `101 things to create for next to nothing` (late 70s)

Mostly kids toys that they can make themselves. There are lots of fun things like a popgun, stilts, puppet theatre, wigwam, all the old favorites.

I love these old crafts books and I pick them up when I see them. They are full of ideas, (Not just `dreaded card making` or `cross stitch for the depressed` as many modern craft books seem to be.) The disadvantage is that some things are hard to do.

These seem easy enough, and they have been designed with imagination. (allbeit very 70s designs)

This book is for using up stuff you might find around...without the trite enviromental moralising lecture that a modern day book would probably inflict upon you. (or the lecture against E toys...but I think modern kids value genuine things more)

This book cost me £1

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
2733-37.D: Pink Panther Collection, starring Peter Sellers.
This turned out to be a six-disc set.

2733.D: Pink Panther, ana. scope, 110'23" + dir. Comm. + trivia track + trailer, 3'40"
2734.D: A Shot in the Dark, 98'07" + trailer, 3'36"
2735.D: PP Strikes Again, 99'08" + trailer, 2'36"
2736.D: Revenge of PP, 94'52" + 2'18"
2737.D: Trail of PP, 92'50" + 2'10"
2738.D: Bonus Disc: 5 documentaries: 28'41" + 46'41" + 51'38" + ?? + 10'49" + 6 cartoons + Gallery.

The last disc with its Sellers documentaries might well prove to be the most interesting. Though I liked the cartoons as a kid, the PP as cartoon character was wearing very thin by the end of a preview of the discs! :p

Peripart

Antediluvian
The first 3 films are worthwhile, the 4th not really, and the 5th one is truly awful, made up of unused footage from the previous one.