Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Mackenna's Gold is not one of Thompson's best.
I see it was originally planned as a very grand Roadshow release. Sections were filmed in various processes, in the hope of recreating the Cinerama experience! Vestiges of this ambition are evident in the impressive opening section.

It was pared down to two hours, which required voice-overs to cover the cracks. Any clamour for a reconstruction? Maybe the two of us?
:hoff:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
DVD bought, Bury, 02.01.2020, total price £0.50:

2753.D: Mr. Majestyk, dir. Richard Fleischer, 1974, ana. w/s, 104'

Fleischer, from the cartoon dynasty, meets Bronson, from his Death Wish period in this thriller, which I think I only ever saw on tv. Does Bronson own an orange-grove? That sticks in my mind. Him or Delius, easy to confuse . . . :actw:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Mr Majestyk is rare among Bronson thrillers because he actually has a sense of humour in it. Unless the subject is melons.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
4 x DVDs bought, Chadderton 11.01.2020, total price £1.49:
2754.D: Holiday Camp, dir. Ken Annakin, 1947, 93'06" + Bios. texts + Gallery 3' c
2755.D: Here Come the Huggetts, 1948, dir. Ken Annakin, 89'14" + Gallery 0'45"
2756.D: Vote for Huggett, 1948, dir. Ken Annakin, 81'03" + Gallery 0'50"
2757.D: The Huggetts Abroad, 1949, dir. Ken Annakin, 83'25" + Cast Bios. texts + Gallery 0'50"

3 x DVDs bought, Droylsden 14.01.2020, total price £1.00:
2758.D: Speed, dir. Jan de Bont, 1994, ana. scope, 111'
2759.D Speed 2, Cruise Control, dir. Jan de Bont, 1997, ana. scope, 120' P.
2760.D: You'll Never Get Rich, dir. Sidney Lanfield, 1941, f/s, 88'

I had hoped the ITV Huggetts set would have marked more of an upgrade than it does. Holiday Camp, best of the group, was acquired on VHS, which led me to download the others to view as a sequence, a couple of years back. The DVDs are mediocre transfers from soft and speckly materials, confirming these antique soap-operas as faded fodder indeed. I remember when HMV were flogging this ITV set for £25! The films are very much time-capsule fare, teaming Jack (Dixon) Warner with Kathleen Harrison as parents of a supposed working-class family. I can see these would not be compelling viewing for many, these days, but I am drawn to the "hauntology" of the era just before my own!

I had Speed on VHS and enjoyed it a while back. Now I can enjoy the sequel, which I gather was pretty much the same. I note that, unusually for a sequel, it runs longer! You'll Never Get Rich is a 1941 Fred Astaire movie. He had switched to Columbia by this time and was teamed with Rita Hayworth, in lieu of Ginger. I'm not mad-keen on dance films but this one was a gap worth filling for the 50p. asked! Columbia did make some effort to refurbish their back-catalogue, so I am hoping this will look nice! :)

From the same source came a 1 ltr Thermos flask in mint condition. I see it has a glass liner, so it may not survive my clumsy handling for long. Worth a punt for £2. :hapdan:

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I know what you mean about old movies, part of the reason I love watching them is the time capsule element, the way of seeing where they were in the river of time and where we are now by comparison. Not to get pretentious, you understand.

Fred and Rita were great together, they should have made more films with each other, really.

Speed 2 is NOT the same as Speed. Keanu was wise to give it a miss. It was based on a dream director Jan de Bont had! Presumably he showed up for work without his trousers or something.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
l needed a new gym bag, as my previous one (a charity shop find) was going home. l finally found a nice example - Nike, in red - priced at £8.95. l thought that was a trifle steep, but was happy to pay it.

On arrival at the till, l handed the item to the lady. She peered at the price label and conferred with a colleague, who said, “Charge what you like, we want to get rid of it”, or words to that effect.

£3.95: Result!

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
l needed a new gym bag, as my previous one (a charity shop find) was going home. l finally found a nice example - Nike, in red - priced at £8.95. l thought that was a trifle steep, but was happy to pay it.

On arrival at the till, l handed the item to the lady. She peered at the price label and conferred with a colleague, who said, “Charge what you like, we want to get rid of it”, or words to that effect.

maximus otter
You bought the cursed bag! Congrats.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...

maximus otter
You bought the cursed bag! Congrats.
Once I'd scraped the dead, ball-gagged GCHQ agent out of it I had no more problems.

maximus otter
No, it's still cursed. When I curse something, it stays cursed!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Not my find, someone else's on facebook's charity shop shit ..
It's a version of a famous sculpture of Hercules and Diomedes wrestling. The original is intended to be humorous, with Diomedes grabbing Hercules’ penis to stop himself being thrown. We have a little copy of the original somewhere.