Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Which is how I felt when I saw a film late one night that had Carmen Silvera from Allo Allo topless. It just didn't feel right, like seeing your boss in an indecently small pair of swimming trunks.
I've seen that too, it's called Clinic Exclusive. She plays a desperate lesbian in it. The 70s were mad.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
Is anyone else having charity shop withdrawal ?, I used to look around my local ones ( about a dozen ) at least once a week, I have found myself thinking about walking to the nearest ones to look through the windows a few times, I even had a strange charity shop themed dream the other night !

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Is anyone else having charity shop withdrawal ?
Yep: It's my main form of shopping, to the extent that I'd even go so far as to call it a hobby. I luuuuurve my bus trips to nearby towns to rake through mounds of dirt for the occasional gold nugget.

Recent scores include:

A Swanndri Bushshirt, £155 reduced to £15

An AeroPress coffee maker, £25 to £6.99

A Rab down-filled gilet for £5

A Barbour ventile coat at 75% discount

A Barbour plaid shirt, £60 down to £5

... And books too numerous to detail.

*sigh*

maximus otter

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Is anyone else having charity shop withdrawal ?, I used to look around my local ones ( about a dozen ) at least once a week, I have found myself thinking about walking to the nearest ones to look through the windows a few times, I even had a strange charity shop themed dream the other night !
Yes, I love a charity shop wander. Perhaps we should post pictures of random junk in our houses to help get each other through it. :loveu:

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
In the past couple of weeks, I've had a nostalgic desire to play some of my old cassettes again, so when we're all allowed to browse charity shops again (May, June?), I'll be on the lookout for a Walkman type player to plug into my car stereo. I see you can still buy them new, but frankly, they look like that, and I'd rather take my chances with second-hand!

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I'm having charity shop withdrawal big time .. there's a cookie jar that matches our dinner set that the misses would love (she tells me, I spotted it first and told her) .. five pounds only but the place is obviously closed at the moment and it's displayed in the window .. I've been toying with the idea of phoning them, they might appreciate a fiver at the moment .. how the transaction safely happens is the way forward ..

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
I'm having charity shop withdrawal big time
I've built up a few bags of donations for the charity shop over the last few weeks what with clearing out my wardrobe and reading lots of books that I don't intend to keep, the house will certainly be a lot tidier when the charity shops reopen!

I also have about 10 Fortean- related books that I'll be getting rid of when its more convenient to get a post office. My plan is to offer them on here to anyone who wants 'em in return for a charity donation... not sure the best way to go about it, but I'll figure it out.

Swifty

Reaction score
I nearly took a photo when I saw it the other day but for some reason didn't.
Please take a photo if you get the time, for some reason I'm thinking it's green and covered in small white Krakens? ..

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Please take a photo if you get the time, for some reason I'm thinking it's green and covered in small white Krakens? ..
I will do. If it is still there! It is actually white and the krakens are quite large. I think there were compasses and other map type things on it as well. The only thing it was missing was some large print saying "Was this dress made specifically for Min or what?".

Of course the size might be wrong.

Swifty

Reaction score
I will do. If it is still there! It is actually white and the krakens are quite large. I think there were compasses and other map type things on it as well.
Not that into women's clothes but that sounds cool .. phone them! .. then you can leave the cash on the door step, he/she will arrive and get the dress for you .. me and the Mrs have been doing this sort of thing for the last 10 weeks.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Im missing the car boots

We should be having one every day in Cornwall

(But, Im not in Cornwall)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Even if it's the wrong size, you might be able to turn it into a bag or a cushion or something?

I think I'd cut it along the divisions between the squares as it is printed and then either edge them flat and mount them on a piece of whole cloth which matches one of the colours OR do a traditional pieced square quilt top sort of thing with matching colour of banding to match the small amount of fabric you lose in the seam allowance. In both cases to reassemble the picture!

Or leave it as it is - gorgeous! :)

It deserves to be bought by a fortean! Gie it Laldie @Min Bannister !