Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Popped into a charity shop today and picked up an orange hi-viz cycling jacket, XXXL size, looks new.

I reckon someone ordered it but it didn't fit because it's actually about an XL. So they sent it to the charity shop specially for me.

I'd been looking for a large-sized light waterproof that will fit over everything I'm wearing to carry on bike rides.

This one is perfect, and cheap. :bthumbup:

I always buy a size larger, just so the jacket covers the tail bone and backside when out cycling.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Scope - I think it's Scope - have been selling-off a lot of discontinued colognes from M & S - presumably unsold Christmas stock.

Not all of them are horrid. One of them lingers* and it triggered an association which was hard to pin down.

Then it hit me. Bourbon!

*I tried them all on at once, so I can't say which! And no, it was not a Bourbon miniature . . . I would have noticed! :p

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Scope - I think it's Scope - have been selling-off a lot of discontinued colognes from M & S - presumably unsold Christmas stock.

Not all of them are horrid. One of them lingers* and it triggered an association which was hard to pin down.

Then it hit me. Bourbon!

*I tried them all on at once, so I can't say which! And no, it was not a Bourbon miniature . . . I would have noticed! :p
Paralytic by M&S :p

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A vase purchased for $4.99 at a Pacific Northwest thrift shop turned out to be a rare 1902 Austrian piece expected to bring up to $15,000 at auction.
Vase purchased for $4.99 at thrift store valued at up to $15,000

A glass vase purchased for $4.99 at a thrift store in the Pacific Northwest is expected to sell for up to $15,000 after it was identified as a rare piece from 1902.

Heritage Auctions said the Oct. 28 ... auction will feature a rare Loetz Argus glass vase designed by Austrian Kolomon Moser, a participant in the Vienna Secession art movement. ...

"The Loetz Argus glass vase is one of the finest examples of this rare and important model to come to market. ... ," Samantha Robinson, consignment director of Decorative Arts and Design for Heritage, told ARTFIXdaily.com. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/1...ase-Kolomon-Moser-thrift-store/5381634587765/

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Visited Reclamation for the first time in ages and picked up a large wooden plate. It has 34 compartmental indents but do not know yet what to serve up in them. There is also an African animal motif in the border which continues on the flat back - doesn't look factory or commercially made so guess it could be a hand carved souvenir. Job lot with a jar-unscrewer clamp and an enamelled tin mug in Harrods green for two quid.

Plate_0685.jpgPlate_0684.jpg

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
You guys !! I was thinking more of serving up cheesy Wotsits or having a round of Revels roulette on the plate and not so much contacting the deceased on a Jumanji/Mancala/Ouija cheeseboard type thing.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
You guys !! I was thinking more of serving up cheesy Wotsits or having a round of Revels roulette on the plate and not so much contacting the deceased on a Jumanji/Mancala/Ouija cheeseboard type thing.
Well, be careful. The right combination of different coloured Skittles on that could be a solution to a Hellraiser puzzle that’ll get you into all sorts of horrific leather monster nonsense. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Well, be careful. The right combination of different coloured Skittles on that could be a solution to a Hellraiser puzzle that’ll get you into all sorts of horrific leather monster nonsense. Don’t say you weren’t warned.
I was going to say that, but imply it would summon Chthullu - or Rynner....

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
My hunch is `souvenir` rather than `real ethnic` though.
The plate certainly does not give out the vibes I sensed from a Corn Goddess mask (with straw hair) in an African Memorabilia shop that was once near the British Museum - that was unmistakably real. There are initials carved on my piece of tat, a P and an upside down L, though I don't know if that was the carver or the owner.

Plate_0686.jpg

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
No, my friend who was born there had a big collection of the Real Thing; its quite easy to tell apart.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
An unworn pair of 34” waist, 32” leg Carhartt dungaree fit jeans in RealTree camo: £10.

Score!

maximus otter