Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Popped into a charity shop today and picked up an orange hi-viz cycling jacket, XXXL size, looks new.

I reckon someone ordered it but it didn't fit because it's actually about an XL. So they sent it to the charity shop specially for me.

I'd been looking for a large-sized light waterproof that will fit over everything I'm wearing to carry on bike rides.

This one is perfect, and cheap. :bthumbup:

I always buy a size larger, just so the jacket covers the tail bone and backside when out cycling.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Scope - I think it's Scope - have been selling-off a lot of discontinued colognes from M & S - presumably unsold Christmas stock.

Not all of them are horrid. One of them lingers* and it triggered an association which was hard to pin down.

Then it hit me. Bourbon!

*I tried them all on at once, so I can't say which! And no, it was not a Bourbon miniature . . . I would have noticed! :p

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Scope - I think it's Scope - have been selling-off a lot of discontinued colognes from M & S - presumably unsold Christmas stock.

Not all of them are horrid. One of them lingers* and it triggered an association which was hard to pin down.

Then it hit me. Bourbon!

*I tried them all on at once, so I can't say which! And no, it was not a Bourbon miniature . . . I would have noticed! :p
Paralytic by M&S :p

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A vase purchased for $4.99 at a Pacific Northwest thrift shop turned out to be a rare 1902 Austrian piece expected to bring up to $15,000 at auction.
Vase purchased for $4.99 at thrift store valued at up to $15,000

A glass vase purchased for $4.99 at a thrift store in the Pacific Northwest is expected to sell for up to $15,000 after it was identified as a rare piece from 1902.

Heritage Auctions said the Oct. 28 ... auction will feature a rare Loetz Argus glass vase designed by Austrian Kolomon Moser, a participant in the Vienna Secession art movement. ...

"The Loetz Argus glass vase is one of the finest examples of this rare and important model to come to market. ... ," Samantha Robinson, consignment director of Decorative Arts and Design for Heritage, told ARTFIXdaily.com. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/1...ase-Kolomon-Moser-thrift-store/5381634587765/

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Visited Reclamation for the first time in ages and picked up a large wooden plate. It has 34 compartmental indents but do not know yet what to serve up in them. There is also an African animal motif in the border which continues on the flat back - doesn't look factory or commercially made so guess it could be a hand carved souvenir. Job lot with a jar-unscrewer clamp and an enamelled tin mug in Harrods green for two quid.

Plate_0685.jpgPlate_0684.jpg

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
I like the way you think Twinnie! :twothumbs:

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You're probably thinking of Kallahah but the layout is different.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
If it’s any help, I invented* a Ouija Cheeseboard which is like a normal round cheeseboard but with engraved letters and numbers around the edge.
Contact with the Dead is made via a planchette of slightly runny brie.

*Among other conceptual art pieces.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
You guys !! I was thinking more of serving up cheesy Wotsits or having a round of Revels roulette on the plate and not so much contacting the deceased on a Jumanji/Mancala/Ouija cheeseboard type thing.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
You guys !! I was thinking more of serving up cheesy Wotsits or having a round of Revels roulette on the plate and not so much contacting the deceased on a Jumanji/Mancala/Ouija cheeseboard type thing.
Well, be careful. The right combination of different coloured Skittles on that could be a solution to a Hellraiser puzzle that’ll get you into all sorts of horrific leather monster nonsense. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Well, be careful. The right combination of different coloured Skittles on that could be a solution to a Hellraiser puzzle that’ll get you into all sorts of horrific leather monster nonsense. Don’t say you weren’t warned.
I was going to say that, but imply it would summon Chthullu - or Rynner....

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
My hunch is `souvenir` rather than `real ethnic` though.
The plate certainly does not give out the vibes I sensed from a Corn Goddess mask (with straw hair) in an African Memorabilia shop that was once near the British Museum - that was unmistakably real. There are initials carved on my piece of tat, a P and an upside down L, though I don't know if that was the carver or the owner.

Plate_0686.jpg

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
No, my friend who was born there had a big collection of the Real Thing; its quite easy to tell apart.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
@Bad Bungle ? where and what is Reclamation? :D
My local Household Dump/Recycling centre has a charity shop on-site where the choicer items are donated rather than retrieved from the skips. This is what I call Reclamation. Electrical items are tested, furniture checked for fire labels, otherwise everything is sold as is and pricing is done on the spot. The only exception are bicycles, which are collected from all over and are cleaned and serviced by Aylesbury Prison young offenders (learning a skill and earning pocket money) and sold on at a decent profit. All dumps/recycling centres should have a shop, I've picked up some fantastically weird tat over the years. If you like the board, I can post ?

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Not a huge lot of good stuff in the charity shops recently, not around here anyway, but I've picked up a few items of interest (to me, at least!) in recent weeks, so I thought I'd bore you with them!

The charity shop next to the tip (aka recycling centre) is very much like Forrest Gump's proverbial box of chocolates, but sometimes it does come up trumps. I'm always on the lookout for cheap Lego, old die-cast toys, Dr Who DVDs or pretty much anything that reminds me of my childhood(!), so was especially pleased to find these the other day:
Zlego.jpgZwho.jpg

2 items at £3 each - firstly, a Lego police car, boxed (but I've thrown the box out) and with all the pieces plus some random bricks thrown in for good measure. The young members of the family and I will have fun adding this to our makeshift city - it'll probably be stopping the Lego Ferrari on some trumped-up speeding offence very soon! Joking aside, charity shops seem to have twigged to the bouyant 2nd-hand Lego market, and most are selling the stuff at crazy high prices, so a £12-ish set for £3 is very good.

Secondly, and even more surprising, was this set of 3 Dr Who DVDs, covering the last 2 stories of Tom Baker's era and the first of Peter Davison's. I've not seen these since the original transmission 40 years ago, and it will be interesting to see how they hold up as a viewing experience today. I remember thinking that the sets on Logopolis looked shoddy even at the time! I daresay that nostalgia will fill in the gaps in the scenery, and I reckon that at just £3 for 3 stories, I've done OK.

Last edited: