• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Charles Fort Ancestry Research

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
If possibly of interest, this is the overall outcome, as things stand.

It was never intended to be anything other than an exercise, with no particular objective except curiosity and I wondered how far back it might reach.

Having extended both backwards in time and incorporating many more offshoots than originally envisaged, it provides a concise synopsis of the historical perspective and conceivable 'DNA' influences - "it was in his blood"...

Whether or not anyone subscribes to that belief, one aspect which may be striking, is the inherent religious division.

Whilst his father's ancestral roots, incorporate various historical tangents of the staunch Protestant movement and its religious consensus, his mother's ancestral home seems to be established around the city of Dublin, Ireland and a deep-rooted, Catholic devotion.

There are some notable historical figures within Fort's colonial ancestry and fascinating reading attached to related profiles.

All of this material results from investigations undertaken by others, researching their own family history.

In turn, I have endeavoured to pull all of the existing material together and also located a considerable number of new ancestral links

The entire lineage, in context, has been downloaded as a 'GEDcom' file, which can be uploaded to ancestral research websites, or viewed via a 'read only' app.

It is neither perfect, nor complete and I might revisit this again, in due course.

Perhaps not for quite a while though, as the research, especially identifying erroneous data, inadvertently uploaded by others, can be a tediously slow process.

Meantime, the file is available on my website:

www.jceaston.com/Charles_Fort.ged

Should Charles Fort have had access to all encompassed therein, one can imagine he might not have seen daylight for a couple of days and would have been absolutely rivetted!

I found this interesting - it's an attachment to the profile of:

Peter Van Vranken Fort
1821–1891
(Charles Fort's paternal grandfather)

Biography of Peter Van Vranken Fort
Posted 20 Aug 2015 by Theresa Tipsword

Peter was born in 13 Oct 1821. He was the son of Simon Fort and Elizabeth Van Vranken. He was baptised on 09 Dec 1821 in the Reformed Dutch Church of Amity in Vischer Ferry, Saratoga, New York.

In 1888, Peter attended a Holland society meeting in New York City. This excerpt was published in an article about the meeting:

"Peter V. Fort, from Albany, who came on with his fellow members, children and grandchildren, belongs to such stock. The real name was originally La Forte. When the family of that same was driven to Holland from France they became quite influential there. In 1684 two brothers of this family emigrated to America, One of them settled in Watervliet, Albany county, on the east bank of the Mohawk, and the other made his home just across the river in Clifton Park, Saratoga county.

The brother who settled in Watervliet was the great, great grandfather of the Mr. Fort who has just arrived here with the Holland Society. He changed the spelling of his name from La Forte to Fort."

Peter was known as "P. V. Fort". He was a prominent wholesale grocer in the Albany area.

Peter's first wife was believed to be Amanda Neff, daughter of Nathan Neff and Mary Deal of Amsterdam, Montgomery county, New York. They had a son Nathan who died at age 1. Amanda passed away in 1846 and is buried in Green Hill cemetery in Amsterdam. Son Nathan is in the same cemetery.

His second wife was Elizabeth Neilson, daughter of Charles Neilson and Elizabeth Strang of Stillwater, Saratoga, New York. They married 28 Sep 1848. In 1850, they were in Watervliet, Albany, New York with their first son, Charles Nelson Fort. Charles would become the father of the author Charles Hoy Fort".
(End)

I have no comment on the genealogy cited but the geography is faulty. The Mohawk River flows west to east. Watervliet is south of the Mohawk but does not border the river. Cohoes does and between it and Watervliet is Green Island. To the south, Watervliet is bordered by Menands where Fort is buried.

Back