• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Charles Fort Is Directly Descended From The British Monarchy

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
I shall explain the exact lineage separately...

20221219_223817.jpg

20221219_224014.jpg

This Is the related background...

Reverend James Duncanson
Stirling, Stirlingshire , Scotland
1564-1624
(Fort's 8th great-grandfather)

...married...

Helen Livingston
1590-1633
Stirling, Stirlingshire , Scotland
(Fort's 8th great-grandmother)

They had a daughter:

Maritje (possibly originally Mary) Duncanson
Born: About 1614
Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland

Died: 7 November, 1697
Albany, New York
(Fort's 7th great-grandmother)

Seemingly having emigrated to America, Maritje married Pieter Jans Lookermans and they had a daughter:

Annetje "Anna" Lookermans
1657-1742
Albany, Albany Co., New York
(Fort's 6th great-grandmother)

The lineage eventually then brings us to:

Symon (Simon) Nicolaase Fort
1734-1789
Half Moon, Saratoga, New York
(Fort's 3rd great-grandfather)

...and so on.

Conversely, the Reverend Duncanson's direct lineage leads back to:

(His mother)
Janet Watson
1550–1600
Lamington, Lanarkshire, Scotland
(Fort's 9th great-grandmother)

(Her father)
Sir John James II, 1st Lord Watson, Jenet
1500–1568
Holme on--Spalding Moor, Yorkshire, England
(Fort's 10th great-grandfather)

(His mother)
Catherine Plantagenet of York Countess of Devon
(1479-1527)
Eltham, Royal Borough of Greenwich, Greater London, England
(Fort's 11th great-grandmother)

(Her father)
King Edward IV Plantagenet
(1442-1483)
Rouen, France
(Fort's 12th great-grandfather)

Naturally, this lineage continues backwards throughout the 'House of York' historical monarchy and inherently carries Fort along with it:

Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York
1411-1460
(Fort's 13th great-grandfather)

Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of York
1341-1402
(Fort's 14th great-grandfather)

King Edward III of England
1312-1377
(Fort's 15th great-grandfather)

King Edward II of England
1284-1327
(Fort's 16th great-grandfather)

King Edward I of England
1239-1307
(Fort's 17th great-grandfather)

King Henry III of England
1207-1272
(Fort's 18th great-grandfather)

King John of England
1166-1216
(Fort's 19th great-grandfather)

"The baronial revolt at the end of John's reign led to the sealing of Magna Carta, a document considered an early step in the evolution of the constitution of the United Kingdom".

Quite what Charles Fort might have made regarding this ancestral legacy, we can only surmise.

Perhaps both somewhat enchanted and ever so slightly bemused.

images.jpeg

Most people with white-british ethnicity in their ancestry will have some royal ancestor somewhere, generally by an illegitimate line. My claim is Henry II, so going back a bit there (12th century) so in the event of a disaster wiping out the entire royal family, I'm not expecting a call from the palace...

Just like Danny Dyer, then. I'd guess that most people in England in Fort's time were descended from Edward III.
Precisely like not only Danny Dyer, it is also seemingly myself who is descended from one branch of the monarchy/nobility!

I have actually mentioned the Danny Dyer program previously as recommended viewing and that was prior to undertaking my own research.

It's a perfect illustration of how you only need to find a personal link in the ancestral chain and then everything preceding automatically becomes part of your own lineage.

However, it remains more of an exception, thean the rule' and requires a 'stroke of fortune'.

In my own case:

William Easton
Ashkirk, Selkirkshire
1704–
6th great-grandfather

married:

Jean Scott
The Woll, Ashkirk, Selkirkshire
1706-

Jean's father was:

Walter Scott of Thirlstane Laird of Woll
1660–1731
Harden, Selkirkshire

He just happened to be a direct descendant - in a straight father and son line - back through a lineage of famous historical members of the Scott dynasty.

Fascinating how seemingly one reason it happens that way, is the tradition of not marrying outwith an existing, elite peer group. Hence, of course, we find many an 'arranged marriage', to maintain that status.

I think it's called the 'old world order'! :)

My exceptional entry, apparently involves what I presume to be a farm worker, marrying the Laird's daughter.

Charles Fort's introduction, results from an equally extraordinary set of circumstances.

As highlighted, the key players and catalysts were the Reverend James Duncanson and his wife, from Stirling, Scotland.

As I do not wish to distract from the central aspect of Fort himself, I might simply upload a summary of my findings and add a link to it.

I shall also make the entire ancestry research available shortly, as a GEDcom file.

This inheritance of ancestral history, is why we also find:

Princess Turtle Clan Octs Toch
(1600–1622)
Mohawk Village, Little Falls, Herkimer, New York, USA
(Fort's 8th great-grandmother)

Wuch I Kit Tau But (Wichikittawbut) Grietje Van Gog Wuch i kit tau but- daughter sachem of the shinnecock tribe
(1575–1660)
Paum-Man-Ak-E, Montauk Village, (Eatons Neck, Suffolk) NY, USA
(Fort's 10th great-grandmother)

Chief Wopegwooit of the Montauk Indian Nation
(1516-1631)
Montauk Village, Connecticut, British Colonial America
(Fort's 12th great-grandfather)

Chief sachem Wekoum (Narragansett Nation)
1476–1510
Narragansett, Washington, Rhode Island, United States
(Fort's 14th great-grandfather)

The reason for this, is another remarkable story, which, again, I must document and place online with a link to same.

Most people with white-british ethnicity in their ancestry will have some royal ancestor somewhere, generally by an illegitimate line. My claim is Henry II, so going back a bit there (12th century) so in the event of a disaster wiping out the entire royal family, I'm not expecting a call from the palace...
Yes, mine is from the Earl of Ducie, illegitimately. Though he did acknowledge the child as his, paid for his education, and had him adopted into a good family.

So Fort had native American ancestry as well, from multiple tribes?
Very much so and in a direct lineage, i.e., these are his grandparents - not a 'distant cousin x times removed'!

It all stems from male ancestors, who married an indiginous American native female

Which brings us to my favourite world, frequently encountered... 'squaw' (a North American Indian woman, or wife).

Had not heard that used since....?

My formative youth and 'Lone Ranger' comics?

:D

Very much so and in a direct lineage, i.e., these are his grandparents - not a 'distant cousin x times removed'!

It all stems from male ancestors, who married an indiginous American native female

Which brings us to my favourite world, frequently encountered... 'squaw' (a North American Indian woman, or wife).

Had not heard that used since....?

My formative youth and 'Lone Ranger' comics?

:D
Does anybody use that term anymore?

80 percent of people in England are descended from Edward III, so I wouldn’t start ordering the ermine quite yet.
It's a fascinating aspect and I would have to see some evidence of that figure.

Ultimately, it's a 'closed shop' and needs a proverbial 'opening', before you can become an elite member!

I have seriously been somewhat shocked by research into my own lineage, in that if you have an ancestor who is 'royalty', per se, it's almost certain that if you find a new link, that person's children will also have ended up being a 'Sir', or 'Lady' and so on, 'down the line'.

I could easily illustrate this, as I have in fact just come upon a perfect example earlier today.

Still working on it, as my apparent new relative from antiquity seems to have fathered some 19 'aristocratic' children - which is another typical characteristic of 'nobility'!

It's a fascinating aspect and I would have to see some evidence of that figure.

Ultimately, it's a 'closed shop' and needs a proverbial 'opening', before you can become an elite member!

I have seriously been somewhat shocked by research into my own lineage, in that if you have an ancestor who is 'royalty', per se, it's almost certain that if you find a new link, that person's children will also have ended up being a 'Sir', or 'Lady' and so on, 'down the line'.

I could easily illustrate this, as I have in fact just come upon a perfect example earlier today.

Still working on it, as my apparent new relative from antiquity seems to have fathered some 19 'aristocratic' children - which is another typical characteristic of 'nobility'!
Do we now have to call you 'Sir Comfortably Numb' now?

Does anybody use that term anymore?
First time I have heard it since the days of early 'cowboys and indians' films - if even then!

Whilst a perfectly innocent phrase, does it nowadays have that connotation of being 'detrimental'?

Not racist... perhaps something along the lines of bringing it up in a drunken Scottish argument.

"Aye, well get tae f... and take yer squaw wi ye'...

"You just call ma burd a squaw...!!!"...

Do we now have to call you 'Sir Comfortably Numb' now?
Well... this is where it gets complicated.

So many titles to choose from...

Lord Robert Scott of Rankilburn and Murthockston
1378–1426
16th great-grandfather

Sir David Scott, 1st Baron of Buccleuch
1427–1492
14th great-grandfather

Sir William 'Boltfoot' Scott, 1st Laird of Harden
1508–1563
11th great-grandfather

Sir William Scott of Harden, 3rd Laird of Raeburn
1590–1656
9th great-grandfather

Reverend Captain Sir James John Scott of Woll, 1st Laird of Thirlestaine and Baron Of Ancrum
1624–1710
8th great-grandfather

Walter Scott of Thirlstane Laird of Woll
1660–1731
7th great-grandfather

Do I inherit them all?

:p

Back