• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Charles Fort Tattoo

m fidget

Junior Acolyte
I’m thinking of getting a charles fort tattoo, does anyone have one? His bespectacled headshot in Fortean Times would make a great tattoo. Or how would one graphically illustrate measuring a circle starting anywhere?

His bespectacled headshot in Fortean Times would make a great tattoo.

I assume you mean this photo:

CharlesFort-Portrait-A.jpeg

This would be somewhat tricky to render in a tattoo, because it's a shaded photographic image. I'd suggest finding as "crisp" (clearly defined) a version as possible to use for a reference, such as this colorized version from IMDB:

CharlesFort-IMDB.jpg

There aren't many other portrait-style photos of Fort, and those others are even more heavily shaded or blurry than the original one shown above. Also, a hand-drawn tattoo rendering of those other shots might easily turn out to look more like Wilford Brimley or Teddy Roosevelt.

The pince-nez eyewear is faint / subtle, and would require a deft hand to render.

I’m thinking of getting a charles fort tattoo, does anyone have one? His bespectacled headshot in Fortean Times would make a great tattoo. Or how would one graphically illustrate measuring a circle starting anywhere?

The first thing that comes to mind would be an ouroboros whose body was a measuring tape - perhaps with the numerals blurred or omitted entirely.

I assume you mean this photo:

This would be somewhat tricky to render in a tattoo, because it's a shaded photographic image. I'd suggest finding as "crisp" (clearly defined) a version as possible to use for a reference, such as this colorized version from IMDB:

There aren't many other portrait-style photos of Fort, and those others are even more heavily shaded or blurry than the original one shown above. Also, a hand-drawn tattoo rendering of those other shots might easily turn out to look more like Wilford Brimley or Teddy Roosevelt.

The pince-nez eyewear is faint / subtle, and would require a deft hand to render.

you could have stopped typing after assuming

charles from phone calls from dead issue, circle drawing I’ve seen better inked versions of

Attachments

• FBC862C1-374B-4BB8-AB87-7738497AED00.jpeg
    FBC862C1-374B-4BB8-AB87-7738497AED00.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • D8A6A9F9-86FD-4CD1-B6AD-A5437DF93C85.jpeg
    D8A6A9F9-86FD-4CD1-B6AD-A5437DF93C85.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I can see you're eager to establish good relationships here
Actually I sorta am. Good relationships thrive on clear boundaries and communication.

I’m new here. This is my first thread. (bashful proud smile). Kinda bummed it derailed. Boo. Longwinded replies that show one did NOT read OP will be noted. My tone intentionally matched comments they left me in the short time I’ve been here.

I don’t engage mansplainers. Ignoring them is easier healthier. BUT when they used ‘assuming’ a chorus of writing teachers laughed as someone didn’t heed their warning about the word that makes an ASS of U and ME.

Please understand, I don't and won’t take mansplaining; w a smile, for free, from strangers, anymore. Could be maybe I‘m not cut out for these forums if so just boot me now.

advice before I go - when selecting tattoo art never use the concept or word blurry - trust me

Men love to explain things, it's no big deal. Just smile and nod or back away or yell, "I KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!" as appropriate.

Men love to explain things, it's no big deal. Just smile and nod or back away or yell, "I KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!" as appropriate
How did you know the career advice I got before College? or I got the exact same birds n bees speech!

Actually very solid advice, totally works but I can‘t do it for free anymore. I’m here to contemplate larger things. Not my first forum hence good boundaries on first post.

Actually I sorta am. Good relationships thrive on clear boundaries and communication.

I’m new here. This is my first thread. (bashful proud smile). Kinda bummed it derailed. Boo. Longwinded replies that show one did NOT read OP will be noted. My tone intentionally matched comments they left me in the short time I’ve been here.

I don’t engage mansplainers. Ignoring them is easier healthier. BUT when they used ‘assuming’ a chorus of writing teachers laughed as someone didn’t heed their warning about the word that makes an ASS of U and ME.

Please understand, I don't and won’t take mansplaining; w a smile, for free, from strangers, anymore. Could be maybe I‘m not cut out for these forums if so just boot me now.

advice before I go - when selecting tattoo art never use the concept or word blurry - trust me

A better response would have been 'I'm new here and misread the tone--no hard feelings'.

We have no wish to 'boot' you, but please take the temperature of the community and decide whether it's for you before making rash assumptions about its members.

^:dunno:^ Have just re-read all the above posts and am not sure where it all went skew-whiff but ...

How to pictorially render "measure a circle starting anywhere" is indeed an interesting challenge. Some sort of Ouroboros as Enola suggests seems like a good idea, you could have a lot of fun playing around with that.

If you want a tatt @m fidget I would suggest you first find a tattooist whose artwork you really like. Go and chat with them about what you'd like, show pics and discuss ideas. Any good tattooist will be ok with this (would it be your first tattoo? I've got eleven)

I just did a quick image search and came up with this that I've never seen before.

The first thing that comes to mind would be an ouroboros whose body was a measuring tape - perhaps with the numerals blurred or omitted entirely.
please note - this reply has been heavily edited from their original post

please note - this reply has been heavily edited from their original post

Please note - your statement is clearly, demonstrably, and absolutely false.

Neither of my replies to your initial post (my posts #2 and #3) have been edited since I originally posted them.

If either of those posts had been edited after submission they would display a "Last Edited" annotation in the lower right corner of the post's display area - just like the Last Edited annotation in your post #9.

The addition of such annotations flagging post-submission edits is automatic, built into the forum software, and beyond the ability of any moderator - or even a system admin - to change, hide, or remove.

^:dunno:^ Have just re-read all the above posts and am not sure where it all went skew-whiff but ...

How to pictorially render "measure a circle starting anywhere" is indeed an interesting challenge. Some sort of Ouroboros as Enola suggests seems like a good idea, you could have a lot of fun playing around with that.

If you want a tatt @m fidget I would suggest you first find a tattooist whose artwork you really like. Go and chat with them about what you'd like, show pics and discuss ideas. Any good tattooist will be ok with this (would it be your first tattoo? I've got eleven)

I just did a quick image search and came up with this that I've never seen before.

Thanks for the link which is new to me too and for reading this thread. I‘ve gotten a second warning over this thread. So I dont think i can talk about it.

No, not my first tattoo. Haven’t found the artist yet. Was gonna reach out to tattoists after I found more sample line illustrations like I posted, maybe reach out to design staff at FT who surely has a repository of line art Charleses and would know the artists name so I could pay them for using their art.

After the unexpected gifts of this thread I dont think I’ll be getting this at all or anytime soon. I wanted to be reminded of how big our mysterious world is, how the best parts of it are misunderstood, mislabeled, excoriated, and mocked for not being the prevailing fashion of thought as dictated by men on high. Now it would be remind me of (insert potentially problematic petulance here).

Please note - your statement is clearly, demonstrably, and absolutely false.

Neither of my replies to your initial post (my posts #2 and #3) have been edited since I originally posted them.

If either of those posts had been edited after submission they would display a "Last Edited" annotation in the lower right corner of the post's display area - just like the Last Edited annotation in your post #9.

The addition of such annotations flagging post-submission edits is automatic, built into the forum software, and beyond the ability of any moderator - or even a system admin - to change, hide, or remove.

You are correct. I am wrong. It is confusing to try to make sense of ones first thread when its edited to ribbons and bones by others and entire chunks are gone,

It is also incredibly hard to try to engage competently in my first thread thats been soooooooooio derailed and has earned me two strikes already.

respectfully sir is there a block function? If not I’ll just leave.

Last edited:
As EnolaGaia is a moderator, no, you cannot block them. But - and please take this from me - if you calm down just a bit, and don't just knee-jerk react to perceived (and entirely unintended) slights, you'll find them perfectly reasonable and no need at all for you to leave.

However, if you do wish to complain about the attitude of a member of staff, you can always report them to the board admins. They are remarkably impartial and will treat your complaint seriously.

You are correct. I am wrong. It is confusing to try to make sense of ones first thread when its edited to ribbons and bones by others and entire chunks are gone,

Only one post has ever been deleted from public visibility in this thread - your reply to Yithian's "A better response ..." post, posted at 0440 Eastern today.

As already noted, the only post that's been edited was post #9, which was edited by its author - you.

It is also incredibly hard to try to engage competently in my first thread thats been soooooooooio derailed and has earned me two strikes already.

The thing that's derailed this thread concerning tattoos has been your repeated posting about how you perceive you are being treated.

Stu has already answered this question - if you meant "blocking" someone else in the sense of never seeing their posts (i.e., the Ignore feature).

The first thing that comes to mind would be an ouroboros whose body was a measuring tape
Just thinking out loud here: instead of the ouroboros, how about a completely circular measuring tape or ruler, i.e. a flat ring with measurement lines and numbers on it, encircling a portrait of Fort?

And @m fidget, as someone who has had a mod's finger wagged at me more than once, not always leaving me with good feelings, I can nonetheless say I think they are all decent people, and I believe - despite said finger-wagging - they feel the same about me. (Mods, correct me if I'm wrong about either of those.) Respectfully, I think there was just some misunderstanding here, and hope you will stay and continue to contribute.

Just thinking out loud here: instead of the ouroboros, how about a completely circular measuring tape or ruler, i.e. a flat ring with measurement lines and numbers on it, encircling a portrait of Fort? ...

Do you mean something along the lines of this? ...
CHF-CircMeas-A copy.jpg

Personally, I like the idea of a mobius strip. Like, a fabric tape measure twisted once over itself.

I do, too, but I don't have the time or the tools to sketch it for visual brainstorming purposes (which is all I'm doing ... ).

One measures a waist beginning anywhere. And I guess Fort would argue you can end anywhere, too.

No doubt many men would be relieved if the same applied to something else as well.

Back