• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Charles Pogue / The Pogue Carburetor

A

Anonymous

Has anyone here heard of the Pogue carburetor? It's supposedly able to give one's vehicle mileage of 200+ miles to the gallon by atomising or vaporising petrol, rather than the typical fuel injector method. The emmissions are supposed to be so clean, you can directly breathe the exhaust, as well. The legend suggests that his patent was bought out under threat of death by the oil companies.

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/gasolinevapor.html

Urban legend? Plausible?

I've actually written a short story based on the invention in which Israeli intelligence promotes developing it in order to financially cripple OPEC nations and encourage Western independance from Middle Eastern nations. Such a device would do exactly this, IMO.

Ive ehard about this also Torgos, the oil companys seem to be behind everything these days :D

altho they would stand to lose out if his engine ever made it to the production line, ashame the world is over run with greedy people that keep the rest of the world from progressing, we would be using starwars type cars and hovercrafts by now if our progress wasnt controlled by a binch of fat cats wondering how much money they can make from us.

I have Xerox™ copies of the patents. If anyone's interested, the next time I'm at my brother's place, I'll scan and post them. There are several pages, mainly text but quite a few diagrams, as well.

We need a guerilla campaign!

First, manufacture several hundreds/thousands of these carburettors.

Then the guerillas (disguised as regular police) organise roadblocks on multilane highways, under the guise of checking vehicles for bombs following a 'Terrorist Threat'.

After gaining access to the engine compartments of the stopped cars, the guerillas replace the carbs while they pretend to check for 'bombs'.

After each car is processed, the driver is thanked and given a message in a sealed envelope 'that he can read later'. Since most will be annoyed at the delay, they probably will not read the message (which will include details of where to get these new carbs) till later. Then they will learn that their carbs have been replaced, at the same time many will have already noticed the improvement in fuel consumption.

The message will spread rapidly by word of mouth, and the popular clamour should ensure that the new carbs become widely demanded. Once the genie is out of the bottle, there'll be no turning back!

Also...

Who's that knocking on my door at this time of night? [Opens door..]

Who are you? AAARGH!

Seriously, if these things would work (and I'm no engineer), could you imagine how irked people would be? Wasting billions each year for decades on petrol that wasn't actually needed? I think there would be a great deal of jail time served by oil execs and many politicians, as well.

The thing that makes me question if it would work is that the info isn't more widespread. Or should this be in the Conspiracy forum? As for your idea, Rynner, we need Brad Pitt and Edward Norton to pull this off. ;)

I think the US government has more power than the oil companies. Considering that the US is short on fuel , (going to war over it) Im sure this engine would be embraced by the goverment. Dont ask for sources as all stated in this post is hearsay and secondry sources.

Dinosaur, I was under the impression the States are sitting on top of more oil than we could use; however, we're just to greedy to tap it, and want to use up OPEC's supply first. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard for years.

Update for closure on the Pogue story ...

No one was ever allowed to inspect or test the alleged Pogue Carburetor. The story died within a short time of breaking onto the scene in the 1930's. Pogue did in fact file four US patents - none of which were ever documented as applying to any product, and all of which have long since expired.

The various urban legends and conspiracy theories deriving from the Pogue affair came later.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nobodys-fuel/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Nelson_Pogue

Back