• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Charlton Monument, Loose, Maidstone, Kent

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Just been sent a picture of this unusual grave marker. It seems to be an early 1700s three sided pillar, with three carved heads carved around the top.

Looking for a photo of each face (I can find watermarked stock images) and any further info.

Does anyone live close enough to go and look?

Just been sent a picture of this unusual grave marker. It seems to be an early 1700s three sided pillar, with three carved heads carved around the top.

Looking for a photo of each face (I can find watermarked stock images) and any further info.

Does anyone live close enough to go and look?

My dad was walking in the area and sending me photos last weekend!

Did he, by any chance take any of this?

And that is a lovely coincidence. Do you get you photographer's eye from him?

Alas, having just checked the batch, although he made it to the churchyard, that monument does not feature.

SmartSelect_20211018-005310_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20211018-005453_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20211018-005236_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20211018-005259_Gallery.jpg

We're both snap-happy, yes.

Lovely Yew! and I like the duck crossing too :)

Lovely Yew! and I like the duck crossing too :)

Interesting assortment of signatures on that document, too: Robert Runcie (Archbishop of Canterbury), David Bellamy (Botanist), Robert Hardy (Actor) and Allen Meredith (Author & Yew expert)

Back