Chat About The Weather

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
It's not the rain, wind and snow that's unprecedented, it's the length of the storms. Some people are still without power from the last one.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
It's not the rain, wind and snow that's unprecedented, it's the length of the storms. Some people are still without power from the last one.

Just to be on the safe side I did shopping today which I had intended to do tomorrow. Wouldn't do to run out of cherries.

I'm still hoping the meet up to see Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City will go ahead.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We have had a lot of rain over the last few days and the river Brain is close to going over. If it doesn’t ease off over the next day or two I may get wet feet walking the dogs.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Battening down the hatches in North Yorkshire in preparation for the arrival of Barra. It's suspiciously quiet out there at the moment, but VERY frosty.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I've just checked the Met Office feed for my area, and it's predicting rain and a brief peak wind of - hold on to your hats! - 25mph this afternoon! This, apparently, merits a - gasp! - Yellow Weather Warning.

giphy.gif

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Well, having barely survived last week’s (or was it the week before’s?) Storm Nonevent, l bravely donned my subarctic survival kit and trekked round the corner to the shop to lay in essential supplies (Colombian coffee, Dijon mustard) before this afternoon’s existential threat to humanity, Storm Wetfart, arrives.

Reader, l prevailed.

Now l can see out next week’s slate-wiper, Storm Wasthatit?, with equanimity.

maximus otter

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Stunning recency bias toward the end of that list.

These two are particularly good examples of that:
2009February 2009 Great Britain and Ireland snowfallThere was 55 cm (22 in) of snow causing several deaths and an estimated £1.3 billion in damages.
2009-10Winter of 2009–10Reported to be the coldest weather since 1987. About 22 people died.
"Several deaths" and "reported to be", goodness. I mean a small Norovirus outbreak could qualify as a natural disaster if those two count.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Stunning recency bias toward the end of that list.

These two are particularly good examples of that:

"Several deaths" and "reported to be", goodness. I mean a small Norovirus outbreak could qualify as a natural disaster if those two count.

Denier! Don’t you know that “We’re aaaall going to diiiiie!” ?

:rofl:

maximus otter

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Surely that's the length of the response, not really related to the length of the storm.

95% of the people who lost power got it back within 24 hours. The remaining 5% were largely very rural. I live in a semi-rural area and we've had some power lines down in recent years, fortunate not to have been affected ourselves. However it is quite obvious what the causes were here: very old trees. We watched an old Ash tree come down on to a reasonably well-trafficked road, which is used as a backup bus route between Gloucester and Stroud during local floods, earlier this year. It nearly landed right on top of a car actually, but the driver just managed to swerve out the way and avoid being crushed by it. My partner and I went and dragged it out of the road shortly thereafter.

This tree, had it fallen only very slightly differently, would have brought down a power distribution pole that supplies all the rural properties nearby. The reason this tree fell is that it has been completely neglected, it was old and rot had set in. Western Power has actually been reasonably proactive in tree management in the area, we've had to have a tree removed in our garden because it was assessed to be a risk to a pole supplying a few properties including ours (which was absurd, it was a 6m tall Birch tree about 15m from the pole - but Western Power wanted to remove it anyway). However they clearly missed this Ash tree nearby that was an actual risk to a pole right next to it.

Why are these trees falling? Disease, neglectful landowners, loss of trees and hedges (seriously - hedges and stands of trees act as significant windbreaks, reducing the strain on other trees, we've lost lots of stands of trees in this area and hedges as fields have been consolidated over the last century and this loss is still going on, actually accelerating if anything).

Diseases like Dutch elm and Ash dieback are directly attributable to poor phytosanitary controls but the current processes, such as EU plant passports, are laughably ineffective at tackling this problem (while the added bureaucracy is driving smaller nurseries out of business, reducing the diversity of the plant stock on offer in the UK adding to looming phytosanitary concerns: there's a feedback cycle if I ever saw one).

As to the reinstatement of damaged power infrastructure, this is naturally going to take longer in today's highly risk averse workplace culture (not saying that this is a bad thing - safety should come first and reducing the need for reinstatement should be the priority over expediting installation). I also understand that they are understaffed, I've been seeing a lot of vacancies advertised for various DNOs and their contractors. There is a skill shortage in electrical engineering in the UK - and elsewhere in the world, too. Canada is poaching a lot of experienced engineers, and why not - they can get a better lifestyle for basically the same salary over there.

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
It is winter, though. Not particularly noteworthy to have bad weather. This does also cross over, to some extent, with the risk aversion factor. There's bad weather, and then there's "bad weather" i.e. a bit of rain.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
There is no such thing as 'bad weather'....just inappropriate clothing.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Yeah, Canada is really suffering from what I've heard. Just waiting for the flooding season to hit the UK again, sadly. And Central Europe is still recovering from its disasters last year.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A blocking high pressure area in the Gulf of Mexico is keeping most of the U.S. warm.

This is the summer/fall that never ends.

One day I am sure winter will return with a vengeance.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I made the mistake of washing my curtains (not a euphemism). Since then (ten days ago) it has rained every day, to a greater or lesser extent.

So I fear that the current weather we are having in the UK may be my fault. And I have soggy curtains still hanging around the house.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Rather warm summer day, brief thunderstorm this evening, but not enough to cool things down or make it less muggy.

What's the point of a summer storm if it doesn't leave you feeling refreshed?!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Today was grey this morning, then at around lunchtime it became greyer, then for most of the afternoon it has been heavily overcast, and now at 3.51 (sunset - not that we've seen the sun today to know about it) it is gradually become darker.
Oh well, never mind, next week the nights begin to 'draw out'.....

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
It's been pretty glorious up here in Yorkshire today. I went into town in a coat and was too warm, so went out running in my shorts! Sunny, mild weather, bit of a breeze but from the West, so quite warm. It's clouded over now it's getting dark though. Got some washing practically dried on the line, which is a bonus at this time of year.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's been very cool for December here in Victoria. The forecasts are not that accurate either. The news said a fine day with some cloud but my daughter said she would take her coat in case. In fact the worm farm has been more accurate with them being up the top late yesterday.
Sure enough as we drove to the station at 6 am it was raining. At least I don't need to water the garden.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It's been pretty glorious up here in Yorkshire today. I went into town in a coat and was too warm, so went out running in my shorts! Sunny, mild weather, bit of a breeze but from the West, so quite warm. It's clouded over now it's getting dark though. Got some washing practically dried on the line, which is a bonus at this time of year.
Yes yes but what about the curtains?