Chat About The Weather

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've had the same experience of working outside in winter. There's nothing quite like having cold sweat stuck to you while trudging through snow handling freezing metal that no glove in the world protects your poor hands from. I had times when there were tears in my eyes because my hands were painfully cold. I don't know what was worse; working outside for hours where the temperature was at least consistent, or rapidly alternating between outside and in a house where the owners had the heating on full blast because we needed the door open in the middle of winter to carry stuff through.

As for the navvies; let's face it, our ancestors would laugh at how pathetic we are in the face of discomfort. We don't know we're born.
Yes. I think given the choice it would be stay out in it all day. For a short time I delivered stationary to offices and I could not believe how uncomfortably hot/stuffy they were (even in summer). No wonder they all seemed to be ill all the time.
It must have been terrible when leaving after 8 hours in that heat, to then go outside into the cold.

I love the heat, but artificial heat- radiators/car heaters etc send me a bit crazy after a while.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don't know what was worse; working outside for hours where the temperature was at least consistent, or rapidly alternating between outside and in a house where the owners had the heating on full blast because we needed the door open in the middle of winter to carry stuff through.
You've just reminded me of a story my mate told me;

His Father, when a young lad, was walking along one day and came across two old boys dry-stone walling. He stopped and helped them for a bit and then they said it was time for a tea break. He said the old guys stayed bent over while they drank their tea and smoked a pipe. He asked them why they did this and they told him that if they were to straighten their backs and stand up properly it would be much more painful for them to then bend down again to carry on with their work after their break.
I supose that's a similar reason as to why I'd prefer to just stay out in one temperature, instead of swapping all the time.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
Yes. I think given the choice it would be stay out in it all day. For a short time I delivered stationary to offices and I could not believe how uncomfortably hot/stuffy they were (even in summer). No wonder they all seemed to be ill all the time.
It must have been terrible when leaving after 8 hours in that heat, to then go outside into the cold.

I love the heat, but artificial heat- radiators/car heaters etc send me a bit crazy after a while.
That's another thing I dislike about winter, the amount of time spent shut inside with artificial heat. The summers may sometimes be too hot but having the doors and windows open, treating the outside like the inside, loving every refreshing breeze, is a high point.

One thing I'd say I found about working outside is that I acclimatised quite quickly. The first licks of winter would be grim but after a couple of weeks I only really felt the cold when it was excessive. Same with the summer heat. Of course, I was younger and able to adapt more easily.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That's another thing I dislike about winter, the amount of time spent shut inside with artificial heat. The summers may sometimes be too hot but having the doors and windows open, treating the outside like the inside, loving every refreshing breeze, is a high point.

One thing I'd say I found about working outside is that I acclimatised quite quickly. The first licks of winter would be grim but after a couple of weeks I only really felt the cold when it was excessive. Same with the summer heat. Of course, I was younger and able to adapt more easily.
Yes, I was much tougher back then. Gone too soft these last few years though. A bit like when Martin Sheen's character in 'Apocalypse Now' talks about himself compared to the Vietnamese people, who were greatful just to have some cold rice and a little rat-meat.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I went to Didcot today to visit my son.
When I left WGC it was still very grey.
It continued to be grey all the way to Didcot with the exception of a short period in which was drizzling.
Then when I got to Didcot it continued to be grey and mizzly, turning to dreich, then back to grey.
The uneventful drive back to WGC was continuously grey.

Trevp666

Reaction score
The strange flaming object appeared in the sky again this morning!
Yet again I was not quick enough to get a picture of it though. But I assure you it was actually there, honest!
Things have now returned to normal though.
More grey.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
No sunshine here since two Saturdays ago. Sun's supposed to come out on Christmas Day. It'll be a seasonal miracle!

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The U.S. will have a heat wave Christmas week as temperatures will be 75 F or about 23 C with no cold weather in sight.

The exception is the upper north west Rocky Mountains.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Well, finally, a bright morning!
Okay so there is a thin layer of mid-height clouds with some breaks in, so there is some sunshine coming through occasionally, but it makes a change from the continuous depressing greyness that has been settled over us for the best part of 3 weeks now.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Pete, the director of my Metal Detecting Club has issued a new set of guidelines for digging in Winter, especially on ploughed fields with clay where the water table can be 3" down and sometimes there is standing ground water after all the rain.
Rule VIII is my favourite.

yerules_I.jpg
yerules_VIII.jpg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Set to be about 15 degrees C on Ne'er Day here. A balmy 15 degrees. In a Scottish January. What the hell.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Set to be about 15 degrees C on Ne'er Day here. A balmy 15 degrees. In a Scottish January. What the hell.

"Climate change over the next 20 years could result in a global catastrophe costing millions of lives in wars and natural disasters..

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a ‘Siberian’ climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world."

Guardian, Feb. 2004.

;)

maximus otter

Trevp666

Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
"Climate change over the next 20 years could result in a global catastrophe costing millions of lives in wars and natural disasters..

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a ‘Siberian’ climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world."

Guardian, Feb. 2004.

;)

maximus otter

Yeah, it's a pity science has stagnated since 2004.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Thinking about it, it's almost correct, in that Siberia recently had it's highest ever recorded temperature.....
(I don't know how long they've been keeping records for there though)

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
It's been relatively mild up here in Yorkshire for a few days now. Supposed to reach the (grey and dismal) heights of 14 degrees C today.

Yet my youngest daughter, who was here for ten days over the Christmas period (and returned to her own home in the Big City yesterday) has had the heating turned up and the log burner lit almost the entire time, huddled under a blanket and leaving the door to the logburner open 'because it's cold'. The irony is that her house has very little heating and is often quite chilly. I was having to take the dog out for more frequent walks than usual because both dog and I were panting and unable to function in the stuffy, overheated atmosphere.

I indulged daughter, because she got very sullen if she perceived herself to be chilly, but now she's gone there's no need to put the heating on at all. I've even got the back door wide open today to let some fresh air in! Tch, the youth of today...

Also ironic that she (and her brothers and sisters) grew up in a house with NO HEATING AT ALL. So I think it's just the novelty of using someone else's money to be able to get warm...

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
2C and grey and dreary here. We had some sun a couple of days ago.

On the upside, days are getting longer! Just a few more months, and it won't be like I'm leaving for work in dead of night. Lol

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
‐4⁰C at 13:20.

I wouldn't mind the cold in itself, but it seems to be making me more drowsy (and the heating required exacerbates that); the only time I feel at rest is when I'm under the covers at night.

Have abandoned plans, sent wife to family celebrations and am hoping for a relaxing night at home with Miss Yith.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I was reading somewhere earlier (a clippet from The Telegraph I think) that December 2021 was the greyest December in the UK since 1956.
And it's grey yet again today.
Something like only 16 hours of sunshine in total compared to an average of 27 hours for the month.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In the next 36 hours our area will go from warm temperatures to storms and potential tornadoes ending up with snow.

Tennessee and Kentucky got badly hurt from tornadoes about a month ago.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Its been so cold and snowy that it has been a “ three dog night “ meaning put your dogs in your bed to keep you warm.

I was surprised that this is a purely Australian term according the the Australian Macquarie Dictionary.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today it's alternated between warm sunny periods and pelting rain with thunder.
When we came back from lunch the path to the door was like a river.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Its been so cold and snowy that it has been a “ three dog night “ meaning put your dogs in your bed to keep you warm.

I was surprised that this is a purely Australian term according the the Australian Macquarie Dictionary.
"Three Dog Night" of course famous for their number 1 track "Mama told me not to come".

Dick Turpin

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

I must admit I love this time of year. October through to mid-June is favourite. After that until the end of September I tend to get a little down with the weather. I don’t like the heat; I don’t like the bugs, and I can’t stand the fact that in the summer months the trees and bushes outside my house is such that I don’t have a view of anything.

At least at this time of year I can see the main street that runs through the village, I can also see the old 14th century (now abandoned) haunted (allegedly) history ridden village pub.

Most importantly however, is that this time of year on Saturday nights I can see the delivery man from the local Indian take-a-way, walking up my driveway – his brown paper bags full of spicy goodies. :)

Also a plus, is that I can put on a bit of weight and hide it all underneath big jumpers and coats. :D