• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cheeky / Unusual Funerals & Interments

When the old Knott End ferry company was running it the did a few burials at sea mostly ashes
there was a tail that one chap wanted a traditional sea burial but a few days later the body floated
back in this happened I think twice more even after more weight was added, after the last time
they had him cremated.
:dunno:

Last edited:
Way to go!

Grim Reaper at funeral was woman's dying wish​

Louise Miller A man dressed as the Grim Reaper holding a scythe

Mourners attending Sharon Taff's funeral were warned that the Grim Reaper would be present

A woman made her daughter and friend promise that the "Grim Reaper" would attend her funeral.

Sharon Taffs, from Maldon, Essex, died in December, aged 68, from breast cancer, and her funeral was held on 16 March.

Her daughter, Louise Miller, 49, from Witham, said her mother planned every part of the memorial, and when a friend joked that he would come dressed as the reaper, and would point to people saying "you're next", she thought it was a hilarious idea.

"We were just fulfilling her wish," Ms Miller said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c1vlyrwr546o

Way to go!

Grim Reaper at funeral was woman's dying wish​

Louise Miller A man dressed as the Grim Reaper holding a scythe
Louise Miller
Mourners attending Sharon Taff's funeral were warned that the Grim Reaper would be present

A woman made her daughter and friend promise that the "Grim Reaper" would attend her funeral.

Sharon Taffs, from Maldon, Essex, died in December, aged 68, from breast cancer, and her funeral was held on 16 March.

Her daughter, Louise Miller, 49, from Witham, said her mother planned every part of the memorial, and when a friend joked that he would come dressed as the reaper, and would point to people saying "you're next", she thought it was a hilarious idea.

"We were just fulfilling her wish," Ms Miller said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c1vlyrwr546o
I would like my funeral to be entertaining so really should get round to planning it and getting it in my will. I want to record me giving a speech, I know some of the music I want and a few surprises.

Already done mine.
I've a sealed pack containing my witnessed Will, a Funeral 'Plan', a brief list of 'What Needs Doing Now!'*, and a letter to my grandson and my wife. The pack is marked "In Case of My Death".

* Knowing how stressed people get when their nearest family die, I've listed who to contact immediately, what authorities need to be told, where to find certain documents and codes etc. I'm trying to make things easier at a hard time.

I would like my funeral to be entertaining so really should get round to planning it and getting it in my will. I want to record me giving a speech, I know some of the music I want and a few surprises.

At the end my coffin will head behind the crematorium curtains to a medley of Light My Fire/Both Ends Burning/Ashes to Ashes.

A friend of mine with stage 4 cancer, still living, had a living wake for all of her friends and family last month. Her theme - black and white - was Wake Me Up Before I Go Go (yes, Wham:roll::chuckle:). She wore a tshirt that read "choose life" and her family wore tees that read "Darcie lives here" over their hearts.

The photo albums, well(?) wishes and stories were all there. A band and dancing.

I enjoyed myself, though I knew only her and her immediate family. There were a couple of us, strangers to each other, who got up to dance together.

She will, I think, though I haven't asked her specifically, have a traditional funeral when she dies.

I'm sure the mourners will be thrilled...
I would kill myself laughing.

I like the idea of celebrating someone's life and a sense of humour is part of people.

As a teen, a cousin was killed in an automobile accident. He was my age and he had siblings who ranged 6 years older to 6 years younger than he. It was my and my younger siblings first funeral visitation and his siblings as well.

We were telling stories and laughing. We were told to go downstairs away from others as our behaviour was inappropriate.

I don't really see laughter and funny stories inappropriate in this setting. It allows people to come to terms with death.

I know of several people who are planning on having songs played similarly themed to @ramonmercado's choices. A bit of levity, especially if this was true to the person who has died, is very welcome imo.

I would kill myself laughing.

I like the idea of celebrating someone's life and a sense of humour is part of people.

As a teen, a cousin was killed in an automobile accident. He was my age and he had siblings who ranged 6 years older to 6 years younger than he. It was my and my younger siblings first funeral visitation and his siblings as well.

We were telling stories and laughing. We were told to go downstairs away from others as our behaviour was inappropriate.

I don't really see laughter and funny stories inappropriate in this setting. It allows people to come to terms with death.

I know of several people who are planning on having songs played similarly themed to @ramonmercado's choices. A bit of levity, especially if this was true to the person who has died, is very welcome imo.
It's a running joke in my family that Dad was always late for everything,more than once we told him that he'd be late for his own funeral.

He was.

It was arranged with the funeral car drivers. We all joked that he'd have been very upset if he was on time. Made us all smile on a very difficult day.

Back