• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chelyabinsk Meteorite Display Puzzler

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Nice little nondescript oddity:

So last weekend a fragment of the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteorite that landed in a lake in Eastern Russia (and is on display at a museum there) - seemed to cause the glass dome which encases it to levitate of its own accord!

Read all about it:

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019...-floats-above-meteor-in-russian-museum-a68660

I can't seem to access the linked security camera record of the event though.

I can see the video. I must say it raises up so evenly, not wobble-y, my impression is that it's just the lid raising as it would if you pressed a button to access the display. Rather than it being something Mysterious. And in the article it says "“It could have been a technical malfunction. Our equipment lifts the dome, so it was somehow involved in this,” museum director Vladimir Bogdanovsky told the agency. " Apparently there's a remote control that sets it off, so you press the button and it lifts? The remote control was locked away somewhere. But that doesn't discount a malfunction in the mechanism I guess.
Sorry, that's quite a boring assessment isn't it.

Back