• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chi Energy

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I couldn't find a thread about 'chi energy'.
I have seen lots of examples of people using 'chi', but until now I hadn't seen people setting things on fire. It could be trickery, but I'm not sure how.
Two videos here show a man apparently using his 'chi' to set light to newspaper:

The things we see happen in the first video don't seem too remarkable to my jaded eyes, the kind of stuff Dynamo or David Blaine could easily pull off. They have a whiff of street magic about them.

However that second video is really intriguing. What's interesting is the way the 'Chi Guy' got upset with the film crew and disappeared for ten years only to contact them again for more experiments later. Then getting upset and disappearing again.

I think it would be possible for a skilled fraudster to confound scientists and experts in the ways shown. What was unusual was the way he was able to light the led bulbs, but then we don't know how much behind the scenes stuff/stuff that didn't work on camera we aren't being shown.
It would be interesting to learn more about the film makers and scientists involved.

we don't know how much behind the scenes stuff/stuff that didn't work on camera we aren't being shown.

Sums it up! Come on, folks, it's 2017. We don't have to be taken in any more, we know all about fakery.

Sums it up! Come on, folks, it's 2017. We don't have to be taken in any more, we know all about fakery.
^this^

There are a very few who are walking Van de Graf generators (I was one such myself for a period, I could blow circuit breaker if I got to within 5mm of a contact), and it's not beyond the bounds that someone could control that and, for example, affect powder, deliver shocks and set alight thin paper. But that's not awfully mystical.:cool3:

LEDs need very small amount of current to light - certainly the current required to blow an ELB would be enough. 'For example'. :)

^this^

There are a very few who are walking Van de Graf generators (I was one such myself for a period, I could blow circuit breaker if I got to within 5mm of a contact), and it's not beyond the bounds that someone could control that and, for example, affect powder, deliver shocks and set alight thin paper. But that's not awfully mystical.:cool3:

LEDs need very small amount of current to light - certainly the current required to blow an ELB would be enough. 'For example'. :)
An ability to control it is certainly extraordinary, if not mystical.

I can attest at least to having accupuncture cure a headache instantly. I had a friend who was studying accupuncture and as I had a headache I was prepared to be her "guinea pig" for want of an asprin. I had volunteered before and had decent results in tinitus mitigation. This time she put a few needles in and then one was like a hot poker and made me jump, but the headache was gone as if it had been condensed into a single agonizing instant. A bit amazing but not something I am racing to repeat. Ouch! Hurt like a MF. So that's my anecdotal evidence for the pot.

When I lived in Brighton I went to an open aikido class. It started with a lot of ki exercises, and I was very impressed with them. The idea was that, say, if someone tries to push your arm and you fight back with strength, you use a lot of effort. If, however, you visualise your ki in a certain way, that person can push your arm as much as you like and your arm stays in the same place and you don't even feel it. It works!

When I lived in Brighton I went to an open aikido class. It started with a lot of ki exercises, and I was very impressed with them. The idea was that, say, if someone tries to push your arm and you fight back with strength, you use a lot of effort. If, however, you visualise your ki in a certain way, that person can push your arm as much as you like and your arm stays in the same place and you don't even feel it. It works!

Are we seeing something here that is similar to the old party trick where four people lift someone in a sitting position using just their fingers?

Are we seeing something here that is similar to the old party trick where four people lift someone in a sitting position using just their fingers?
I'm not sure, I've never actually done that. But it feels very strange to have someone pushing you and being able to resist without effort.

The first time I felt Qi was many years ago as a teenager, when a friend of mine, who has a lot of natural psychic ability was chatting to me and he suddenly told me to give him my hand. I placed my hand palm down in the air, and he placed his hand a few inches above mine, his palm also facing down, I seem to remember he then put his other hand over his face looking down and I suddenly felt this warm, humid heat pushing my hand away from his, it was strong like opposing magnets.

I've never felt externalised Qi since then, but have produced it on several occasions. I mentioned it in another thread somewhere, about how my dad, who had suffered from a stroke a couple of years before, tripped over a small garden wall and was not moving. Someone called me and said he was having a TIA, and I came out and when I went up to him I crouched down next to him and the first thing I felt was an automatic instinct to put my hand on his forehead, so I placed my hand on his head for while and felt something draining me, after a couple of minutes he jumped up and walked back indoors and was completely fine. I heard him whispering to someone saying my hands were very hot when I placed them on him. I've always presumed it was Qi externalised due to a crisis type situation.

I have a friend who does healing massage, reiki and so on. She can do this. I've experienced heat coming out of her hands. No idea if it has any healing action, but it's an interesting phenomenon.

I have a friend who does healing massage, reiki and so on. She can do this. I've experienced heat coming out of her hands. No idea if it has any healing action, but it's an interesting phenomenon.

In books on traditional shamanism that I've read, it's reported that shamans generate unusual amounts of body heat while they are working. Seems an interesting correspondence.

In books on traditional shamanism that I've read, it's reported that shamans generate unusual amounts of body heat while they are working. Seems an interesting correspondence.

It might interest you to discover that the Tibetan monks have a meditative technique called Tum-mo that involves generating heat from their bodies sufficient to keep them alive in a high altitude blizzard. My understanding is that you can't be considered a full monk until you can perform this (though the westernization of Tibetan Buddhism may have diluted this). Featured on Stan Lee's Superhumans. If I can duplicate this effect through meditation, I sincerely think anyone can with a bit of practice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tummo

http://www.thewayofmeditation.com.au/blog/revealing-the-secrets-of-tibetan-inner-fire-meditation/

It might interest you to discover that the Tibetan monks have a meditative technique called Tum-mo that involves generating heat from their bodies sufficient to keep them alive in a high altitude blizzard. My understanding is that you can't be considered a full monk until you can perform this (though the westernization of Tibetan Buddhism may have diluted this). Featured on Stan Lee's Superhumans. If I can duplicate this effect through meditation, I sincerely think anyone can with a bit of practice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tummo

http://www.thewayofmeditation.com.au/blog/revealing-the-secrets-of-tibetan-inner-fire-meditation/

Twas on the Beeb also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04tsszz

Worth following through as it seem to work to some extent, although the mechanism is physiological rather than mystical. If it works for everyone, perhaps it should be taught as a survival technique.

Twas on the Beeb also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04tsszz

Worth following through as it seem to work to some extent, although the mechanism is physiological rather than mystical. If it works for everyone, perhaps it should be taught as a survival technique.

I think it is best described as relying on biofeedback. Now the interesting thing is, that while we know we can use biofeedback, medical theory hasn't entirely caught up with what we know to be true, i.e. it remains fringe science, but it is gaining traction and improving our understanding of human physiology.

As to your survival training suggestion, what a good idea. I am sure with our current biofeedback training devices that it should be possible.

Now for the spanner in the works...

Despite having done this a couple of times I was surprised to discover that I hadn't lost weight. You would think that the meditation would be driven by burning blood sugar and fat reserves. Perhaps it is... but I am disturbed by the lack of obvious evidence of such.

Despite having done this a couple of times I was surprised to discover that I hadn't lost weight. You would think that the meditation would be driven by burning blood sugar and fat reserves. Perhaps it is... but I am disturbed by the lack of obvious evidence of such.
It takes a lot of work to shift even a few calories by burning fat and sugars. E.g. A brisk 40 minutes walk on a 4 degree slope burns about 250 calories, or about 1.1oz. If all those calories come from burning fat.

I would have thought spending a week in the cold and staying warm using this technique might lead to a noticeable weight loss...maybe.

It takes a lot of work to shift even a few calories by burning fat and sugars. E.g. A brisk 40 minutes walk on a 4 degree slope burns about 250 calories, or about 1.1oz. If all those calories come from burning fat.

I would have thought spending a week in the cold and staying warm using this technique might lead to a noticeable weight loss...maybe.

Heh. I can feel a billion dollar dieting fad coming on.

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I couldn't find a thread about 'chi energy'.
I have seen lots of examples of people using 'chi', but until now I hadn't seen people setting things on fire. It could be trickery, but I'm not sure how.
Two videos here show a man apparently using his 'chi' to set light to newspaper:

that's a useful skill...

Back