• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Childish Terrors

When I was small, my mum had one of those old-fashioned cylindrical cheese graters. The kind that had a diamond/criss-cross pattern where the grating holes were. It used to remind me of a lot of eyes and sharp metallic teeth and it would leap at me and eat me when my parents weren't looking. I couldn't look at it and I used to turn it around when it got put on the table at mealtimes. And it got to the point when I would run upstairs and hide whenever the cheese was taken out of the fridge.

Not bad article on The Secret of NIMH, a cartoon from the golden age of creepy kids cartoons (late 70s-early 80s):
http://www.avclub.com/the-secret-of-nimh-leaves-basically-every-kid-who-sees-1797955000

You know the sort of thing, Watership Down, The Black Cauldron, this is one of the kings of those, but as the article says, you had to see it at the right age (I didn't really, and admired the craftsmanship without realising until later it was a top scary film for the kiddies).

Not bad article on The Secret of NIMH, a cartoon from the golden age of creepy kids cartoons (late 70s-early 80s):
http://www.avclub.com/the-secret-of-nimh-leaves-basically-every-kid-who-sees-1797955000

You know the sort of thing, Watership Down, The Black Cauldron, this is one of the kings of those, but as the article says, you had to see it at the right age (I didn't really, and admired the craftsmanship without realising until later it was a top scary film for the kiddies).

Watership Down rings true with me. I could never watch it as a child (and still struggle somewhat as an adult). Not because it's particularly scary, it just gives me a very uneasy feeling when watching it; the animation style, the music, that weird ghost-rabbit thing..

Ring of Bright Water. The film. Seriously upsetting.

The scene from First Men in the Moon where the Selenites kill the giant caterpillar (about 1:30 in this clip):

I had pestered my dad to take me to see it at the cinema. He grudgingly agreed, then was livid when this part scared me so much that he had to take me home before the film had finished.

maximus otter

When I was small, my mum had one of those old-fashioned cylindrical cheese graters. The kind that had a diamond/criss-cross pattern where the grating holes were. It used to remind me of a lot of eyes and sharp metallic teeth and it would leap at me and eat me when my parents weren't looking. I couldn't look at it and I used to turn it around when it got put on the table at mealtimes. And it got to the point when I would run upstairs and hide whenever the cheese was taken out of the fridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypophobia

Horrible affliction it can make you feel sick and weirded out

The scene from First Men in the Moon where the Selenites kill the giant caterpillar (about 1:30 in this clip):

I had pestered my dad to take me to see it at the cinema. He grudgingly agreed, then was livid when this part scared me so much that he had to take me home before the film had finished.

maximus otter
A caterpillar is not a gastropod!

It was made into an episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery -
Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 20.00.17jpeg.jpg

http://nightgallery.net/night-gallery-episode-guide-season-two/

lordmongrove that story reminds me of a story my grandmother told me when I was a small child.
She said that a grub had crawled up a man's nostril while he was asleep and it had crawled into his brain.
His family made a roast dinner and held it under his nose and the grub crawled out again.
Even as a child I was very sceptical though she had my grandfather agree with her.
This was the same house where I was told that the devil lived in the cold cellar and had nightmares for years.

lordmongrove that story reminds me of a story my grandmother told me when I was a small child.
She said that a grub had crawled up a man's nostril while he was asleep and it had crawled into his brain.
His family made a roast dinner and held it under his nose and the grub crawled out again.
Even as a child I was very sceptical though she had my grandfather agree with her.

Sounds like a variation on the tapeworm caught popping up out of the throat when tempted with a foodstuff.

Reminds me of the boiled egg joke.

This was the same house where I was told that the devil lived in the cold cellar and had nightmares for years.

That's nothing! My P5 teacher, who was actually quite an adventuress who used to tour round the world on summer long sojourns, came back after a summer in south America with tales of ants who would crawl into a chicken's nose and eat them from the inside out. To this day I have no idea if that's true, but it gave 8 year old me the right willies.... She was one of the best teachers I ever had!

Last edited:
That's nothing! My P5 teacher, who was actually quite an adventuress who used to tour round the world on summer long sojourns, came back after a summer in south America with tales of ants who would crawl into a chicken's nose and watch them from the inside out. To this day I have no idea if that's true, but it gave 8 year old me the right willies.... She was one of the best teachers I ever had!

There're also stories of larvae being lured out of adventurers' scalps with strips of bacon taped to the pate.

That's nothing! My P5 teacher, who was actually quite an adventuress who used to tour round the world on summer long sojourns, came back after a summer in south America with tales of ants who would crawl into a chicken's nose and watch them from the inside out. To this day I have no idea if that's true, but it gave 8 year old me the right willies.... She was one of the best teachers I ever had!

Ha, I claim today's typo prize. The ants used to eat them from the inside out. Watching them would be creepy too, but being eaten from the inside out is probably worse :(

I have no idea why my phone mixed up eat and watch.

It's not traumatic. No cats were hurt.

F.A. the cat and I were home alone. He walked into the kitchen and I said 'Hi F.A!'
F.A. looked at me, said 'Hiya!' back, and strolled into a corner.
I said 'Hiya F.A!' and he said 'Hiya!' back.
This went on for a bit, with F.A. walking round the house saying 'Hiya!' and me following him and saying 'Hiya!' back. I found this hilarious.
Eventually F.A. 'said 'Hiyaaaaaaaa! and threw up a tapeworm.
:omg:
My turn to say 'Hiyaaaaa!'

It didn't say much after it emerged. Just lay there, looking like a length of raw bacon rind, which gave me the idea for a satisfyingly nauseating prank.

There's a video with a botfly being removed from a kitten's nostril - very Total Recall.

It's the most horrible thing.

"Drawing rubbish pictures of your childhood fears":
https://worldofcrap.co.uk/2018/10/12/drawing-rubbish-pictures-of-your-childhood-fears/

Amusing, but interesting too because it seems for a generation who saw Jaws, the fear of him emerging from the toilet while you were sitting on it was very prevalent. Never "I thought Jaws was in the bath with me" or "I was frightened to do the washing up just in case" - it's always the toilet.

Back