• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Childish Terrors

The sib threatening to flush me down was a threat I took seriously when I was little bitty, but the worst was when the sib sucked in his cheeks and pretended to be a Guanajuato momumia after an "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" with real mummies. Scared of the dark for about a year.

The sib threatening to flush me down was a threat I took seriously when I was little bitty, but the worst was when the sib sucked in his cheeks and pretended to be a Guanajuato momumia after an "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" with real mummies. Scared of the dark for about a year.
Sib?

Yeah, sib=sibling. I hate keyboarding. I don't like moderns texting conventions but do like abbrevs.

... oh and I almost forgot ...
I was also terrified of the YTV (yorkshire television) weather map.
The outline of the west coast/Irish sea WAS a picture
of the devil himself.

NURSE!
I know this post is ancient, but it made me howl with laughter!!

I remember being terrified of the lost property box at school when I was very young because in my mind the children who had lost these items must have met a terrible fate, death, abduction etc. I would dread the end of term because an assembly would always be given over to going through the lost property box and while everyone else found it hilarious, it creeped me out something rotten.
Similarly, there was this large Welsh dresser in the middle of one of the school corridors which didn't go with the rest of the décor and which no-one ever seemed to acknowledge even though it was huge. I was convinced it harboured some horrible secret and would be scared to walk past it.

Ive been reminded that around the age of three I was absolutely terrified of some guy singing on Top of the Pops, think he was part of a group but cant recall at the mo what the name of the group was. I`ll find out and report back :)

Ive been reminded that around the age of three I was absolutely terrified of some guy singing on Top of the Pops, think he was part of a group but cant recall at the mo what the name of the group was. I`ll find out and report back :)

George Michael? Come on... can't be just me....

I wonder if Tiny Tim ever got on TOTPs. That would make me cry.

His sole UK hit was a cover of Great Balls of Fire, only it didn't even make the top 40, so it's doubtful he was ever on TOTP. Also, it was in 1969 so if he was the edition has been wiped.

Wasn't there a Tiny Tim who sang "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" in a falsetto voice?

Yeah, it's the same man, but his signature tune Tulips wasn't a hit over here.

It must have been a little bit of a hit, or I wouldn't have remembered it!
And I half remembered what he looked like, so I reckon he must have made some sort of TV appearance. ( Maybe after you'd gone to bed, GNC! :))

Well, he's a bit before my time, but he was a global celebrity for a while before the novelty wore off and that Tulips song, once heard, is never forgotten. He did a lot of TV, anyway. There's a very interesting documentary about him called Street of Dreams which is ostensibly about his attempt to beat the non-stop singing record I would recommend.

I`ll have to give them a listen. Any suggestions?

Well, Russell Mael always sounds like English isn't his first language, so you need the videos with lyrics!

Start with 'This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us' and go from there. :)

Well, Russell Mael always sounds like English isn't his first language so you need the videos with lyrics!

Start with 'This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us' and go from there. :)

That first one you mention is what my mother told me I used to run away from when ever it was played on tv:)

If you watch the TOTP video of that, you can tell the studio audience aren't 'digging it'. 'This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us' was a fairly revolutionary sound for the time.

Face your fear!

I remember it now, thanks Rosebud. Dont know why I ever feared him really :)

Thinking of other terrors brings to mind Christopher Lee as Dracula and that bloke who played the Phantom Raspberry Blower in the Two Ronnies sketch.

My daughter says she remembers being scared of the "Bohemian Rhapsody" video on Top of the Pops.
She never told us at the time.

I remember being terrified of the lost property box at school when I was very young because in my mind the children who had lost these items must have met a terrible fate, death, abduction etc.
Similarly, there was this large Welsh dresser in the middle of one of the school corridors which didn't go with the rest of the décor and which no-one ever seemed to acknowledge even though it was huge. I was convinced it harboured some horrible secret and would be scared to walk past it.

Classic kid-logic. I love that kind of thing. Like the Simpsons kids and reverse-vampires. I remember thinking like that before the weight of the world crushed my spirits. :)

Regarding the Bohemian Rhapsody video... it reminds me of a cross between the Dr Who opening credits and the BBC advert for itself (or whatever you call them) a few years ago which featured a disembodied head, apparently made out of different-coloured Lego bricks IIRC, swooping over the countryside and then splitting into umpteen smaller heads. They took it off after a couple of weeks after it was pointed out that it could be particularly disturbing to people suffering from certain mental conditions... don't know whether that was right but it was disturbing enough to everyone else.

Also, a friend of mine was particularly worried about Rhapsody when she was young, because she thought it was addressing her, having misheard "Bismillah" as "Miss Miller".

Back