• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Childish Terrors

At one house we lived at, I couldn't bear to pass the top of the stairs to the bathroom at night. I would lie awake for hours, eventually falling asleep and sometimes wetting the bed rather than face the stairwell. It was a 1930s brick council house, nothing Gothic, but the view down the stairs was unbelievably scary- I never once saw anything down there, but felt certain that something was. And it was evil.
The aforementioned unfortunate damp side-effect of this night-fright caused equal grief as I was regularly punished with A Good Belting for Being Too Lazy To Go To The Toilet. This was doubly unfair as I tried explaining my fear to my mother who'd become even more irate at my lies. And years later she told me how, every time she passed a certain step on the staircase, whether going up or down, she'd feel someone grab her and try to throw her downstairs.

JurekB said:
I certainly remember The Snowbeast. Particulary the bit where it walks up to the window where the dance is going on and also when it gets the bloke in the caravan. During the caravan scene I remember sitting on my dads lap with my head buried into his shoulder and when I asked what was happening my dad said the snowbeast was eating the bloke.
What made it worse was my dad illustrating this by using both hands to scoop imaginary food into his mouth. Channel 5 recently showed Snowbeast which proved to be very silly, not scary and definatly no scene involving somebody being disemboweled.
Arn't parents horrible.

Parents can be truely terrible. Even when they don't mean to be.

Victorian loos. Oh God!!!!

I can remember my grandmothers house, outside loo, one up from a privy. The seat was a large wall to wall plank with a hole in it, under it was a large earthenware bowl, a lead pipe ran up the back wall to a sacking lagged cistern gurgling in the darkness of the eaves.

Unfortunately, Nan had a rat problem & so put down poison, I don't know what it was, possibly phosphorus based, but the rats as they died went looking for water & the loo door had a 4" gap at the top & bottom!!!!

As a result at night when we went to the loo, our first action was to check the loo pan for dead & dying rats, who if flushed would block the sewer pipe. Then as we used the loo keep an eye on the crack at the bottem of the door for 'late entries'. All by the light of a often fading torch, as it was considered to be the childrens fault the batteries needed replacing so often, after all why did we need light while we sat there?

Then there was the night a poisoned rat fell off the cistern & landed in my lap with a large chunk of sacking clutched in it's claws!!!!

I still hate Victorian loos & still can't understand why anyone would want a repro Victorian bathroom!!!!

David- Oh that's SOOOOOO horrible!
If you are ever in Manchester, you might (not) like to visit the Science Museum where you'll find mock-ups of Victorian dwellings, including outside lavatories. My kids adored this place and one daughter delighted in having her photo taken looking up out of the lavatory seat hole, just as you describe above. I felt quite queasy, having used such conveniences as a child at home. And rats, yes, rats aplenty, but all museum rats are safely stuffed.

David said:
Then there was the night a poisoned rat fell off the cistern & landed in my lap with a large chunk of sacking clutched in it's claws!!!!

I still hate Victorian loos & still can't understand why anyone would want a repro Victorian bathroom!!!!

To inject a little adventure and excitement into life?

I used to believe that I HAD to have the bathroom door open before the flush of the toilet really got loud. I think the logic behind this was that the thing that hid behind the shower curtain would use the noise to mask it's approach.
I also had a fear of the cellar steps. They were the kind that didn't have backs, ala the fruit cellar in "Evil Dead", and I was always afraid that something was about to grab at my ankles as I tried to climb the stairs in the dark [the light switch was at the bottom of the stairs.]
At one point I also witnessed an entity that I have since heard of as being referred to as a "Grinning Man". This sounded remarkably similar to the "Window Tapper". I didn't think of it as something paranormal though. We lived in a house on the outskirts of town, and the area was full of drunken hillbillies, [actually we call them "chowderheads" where I'm from, but I figured I'd use the closest approximate insult for those of us not from Cape Cod.] and "peeping-toms", so I lump them in with normal [HA!] deviants and human weirdos, but I have been assured that the so called "Grinning Man" phenomena is quite common in modern UFO literature, and can be considered on par with a MiB experience.
The neighborhood kids and myself were often terrified by a sort of dog-headed "skunk ape" which was sort of like a smaller version of Sasquatch. It was almost never fully "seen", but was more or less an experience. Children were chased home by it, or saw it in sillhouette on a nearby hill as the sun was going down. Tracks would be found, crashes would be heard in the underbrush, but as far as I know only two boys ever actually saw the thing, face to face. Part of their description was that the thing 'coughed' at them, sort of like a hoarse bark.

I should wrap this up before I stray too far off topic!

I should wrap this up before I stray too far off topic!

Off-topic my eye!
Details please, of Grinning Man and Skunk Ape.
(they sound like descriptions of my ex bofore and after divorce.)

The skunk ape rings a bell as I remember reading about it when I was about 8 or 9. As I remember it was called a skunk ape because it gave off a really bad smell. It was also a darn good insult in the playground as well!

I am now thirty years old and STILL have a thing about water pipes so that I can still get moments of utterly irrational fear when in the swimming baths, near a reservoir or even if I have to open the toilet cistern etc ... all those pumps and pipes and tanks and .... *shudder*

praise the lard i'm not alone in this fear i really do not like being around spooky pipey type things can't even turn my back on them :eek!!!!:

Hmmm, long stories, shortened... not!

Let's see. The "grinning man" was a tall thin man who would prowl our neighborhood at night. I lived in a place called the Mashpee United Church Homes, which was what I think people from the UK would call a council estate. It was poor, or lower class housing, that ironically was located at a site where they were building an eighteen hole golf course [to upgrade the already existing nine hole one], so I had the 'benefits' of a suburban to 'urbanesque' style of living, while living on the very edge of the vast woodlands that still remain to this day. The golf course [Quashnett Valley] bordered a major road [rt.151] so it was often used as a shortcut by people heading into town. Or, I guess I should say, people heading to the liquor store.
My house was the absolute last in a series of one family dwellings that ran like a giant horseshoe around the three story apartment flats. The front of my house was facing towards the open end of the horseshoe, but the back opened out to one of the most majestic views the course offered, the putting green for the third hole. It was a huge hill that had it's plateau for the putters, then ran down into a picturesque miniature cranberry bog [complete with stream] that then ran back uphill to start the fairway.
Because we had the "last house on the left" kind of thing going on, we had more than our fair share of break-ins and hooliganism. So it should be no surprise if a child molester or peeping-tom might make a sudden cameo appearance. Which is what my mother insists I saw at the window 'till this day!
This was the deal. It was late at night, about elevenish or so, and lightly raining. I was in bed trying to sleep, but having great difficulties as I had been to the doctors all day and was in a certain amount of pain from a proceedure performed there. The noises I started hearing at first as I lay there were innocent enough. I had thought I had heard a slight scratching sound, which I dismissed as the rain, then the noises went from scratching to tapping, and it was then that I noticed the shadow from the streetlights on the wall in front of me [I had my back to the window] moving about in a way shadows of inanimate objects have no right to move!
The tapping quickly turned into knocking, and that was when I rolled over and saw the face looking in at me. The face was uncommonly pale, with thin lips set in a viscious smile. Actually, the lips seemed painted to me, they weren't just red, but were RED! The eyes made me think that maybe it was some kind of a mask being worn, because the skin around them seemed extraordinarily wrinkled, and the eyes themselves didn't seem to have any whites.
When he saw that he had got my attention, the knocking went to pounding on the glass and screaming "Let me in!" Let me in! LET ME IN!" over and over again.
Of course I screamed like a little girl [no offense to any little girls out there!]. My Mom came rushing into the room, and took it all in in a single glance, snatched me up and carried me to her room [I was only eight years old and was having some form of palsy problems with my legs, and couldn't walk.] She called the cops and told them we had a prowler trying to break in. She sat there with me until the cops showed up. She told the police what had happened, although I had never told her my side of the story yet, and they looked around and found absolutely nothing. No footprints, no marks on the glass, nothing.
To this day my mother only remembers that some weirdo was at my window, and when pressed she will say she didn't see a thing, yet she told the coppers exactly what I had seen, without my telling her, so hmmmm...
I think I will start a new one later for the skunk ape!

James George Frazer

Breakfast said:
It is interesting to notice how many of the childhood fears people have mentioned in this thread are similar to primitive superstitions and taboos. Is this evidence of some kind of superstitious behaviour hardwired into our make up?

I'm currently reading Frazer'sThe Golden Bough, which develops the themes that you mention above. It seems to me that there are some original fears and instincts that repeat themsleves throughout human evolution, but get changed by various cultures in order to explain them; or worse still are altered by religion or science to add credence to religious or scientific theories.

More childhood fears

I've always been scared of the dark. I used to have to walk to the end of our street to be picked up by a friend's parent to go to school and the last part of the street didn't have any lighting. We live in the middle of the woods, and those dark winter mornings can be mighty scary.

And I still won't go down to the cellar if I can help it. Apart from the spiders hanging in clusters on the ceiling, there's a nook at the end of the cellar, and when you go up the stairs you turn your back to it. It's just big enough to hide a person.

Humming a tune doesn't help, as I'm always worried it might attract some unwanted attention.

When I was little, I also used to think that there was a man in my room and if I didn't pretend I was asleep he would kill me. I remember him as being very pale, tall and thin, with a top hat and a black cloak, but then I love horror movies and my memories may be skewed. Anyway, he had a knife and I used to breathe slowly to 'show' I was asleep so he wouldn't hurt me. Got me to sleep quick, though.

The other thing about my room was that I had a very high bed, with lots of space underneath it. I hid under it when I wanted to be left alone, but when it came to bedtime, I used to do a running jump to get on it. I was sure there was some skinny mummy-like thing under it. And turning off the light was a nightmare 'cause there was a gap between the bed and the wall where the light switch was. So I had to get my hands back under the covers before the thing caught my wrist.

That said, the whole hiding under the covers thing probably stems from the fact that children think that if they can't see you, you can't see them.

:eek!!!!:

I remember being a child and being in my room half-asleep and hearing that terrifying TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED music coming from the t.v. downstairs! I always had the image in my head of the credit s where the silhouetted female is dancing through flames.
Unfortunately, at a young age I used to watch horrors, most of which are withdrawn now and not good for the mind.
In my infants school everyone used to fear an imaginary giant squirrel in the toilets which supposedly stabbed people!!!
And, if I ever heard creaks in the night I used to try to lay as flat as possible...sweating buckets but hoping that the bogey man wouldn't detect me!

NEIL said:
In my infants school everyone used to fear an imaginary giant squirrel in the toilets which supposedly stabbed people!!!

Oh, Neil, what sort of 6 year old wimps were you and your school pals?? Giant squirrel indeed!

We had wolves who inhabited the old air raid shelters at the bottom of our infant school field!

Carole

Here's another one I've just remembered. When I was about 8 or 9 and used to go on cub camps, the leaders used to tell us tales of the "Cow-Dog" which allegedly lived in the woods where we used to camp. It was a cross between a man and animal, and had big glowing eyes. After we'd all got in our sleeping bags for the night, one of the leaders would sometimes creep about outside the tents holding two torches and making grunting noises.

Some of the more impressionable cubs would immediately burst into tears or start screaming, despite the fact that it was obviously Pot-Belly Alan pratting about. Another leader instilled a more real fear in us by creeping into the tents in his pants for night "wrestling" sessions. He was running another local cub pack when he got arrested and put away some years later, so I suppose we had a narrow escape there...

giant squirrels

Isn't there some kind of Malaysian, or Australasian entity called "Kinnie Gur" or "Kinnie Gir" that had the appearance of a man sized squirrel?

Wow! The Snowbeast! - I remember that being the talk of the playground (aged, oooh 6-8) - people who hadn't seen it (like me) were just as able to talk about it as those that had. I clearly remember describing something in it to someone else, and thinking "well, I've just made that all up, did that really happen in the film?" The other scary film which had the same playground effect was "Grizzly" Boy, don't watch either of them now! The series "The Nightmare Man" really put the wind up me in my tender years, I remember a bloke being murdered and his death shown (through some coincidence) on polaroid and tape recorder as the monster got him. There was another series ?The Omega Man? which had poltergeists and people with red eyes.

The Unexplained magazine had a lot to answer for - the Rennes Le Chateau issue with the Demon on the front cover - I couldn't even look at that! Plus the picture of the ape/monkey with really long arms (?Loys Ape?) - I still don't like that one...

Then ACC's Mysterious World - that must've inspired a generation of Forteans.

As for non media - the terrors of open scissors remains with me to this day, especially if their gaping jaws point my way.....

Cheers

Nick

the bedroom doorwindow monster!!!

:eek!!!!: I absolutely detest those doors,usually for bedrooms that have a glass rectangle pane at the top!! Every night the same terror and thumping heart beat just waiting for something to look in on me.I was well pleased when I moved in to my own house as the first thing I did was paint over those bloody gaps,but then the scratching started......!!
Toilet monster,oh yes how I remember the joy of holding open the door and reaching over to the flush and the nanosecond of sheer fright and shocking chill that overtook my body as I ran down the stairs...bbrrrr....I remember how I used to scare myself witless by looking in my Ripleys Believe it or Not Annuals,how rocks looked spookily like Santa Claus etc....Ah those halcyon days,now real life and parenthood scares me enough thankyou..;)

hi Boo agin,I forgot to mention those really creepy plays on 'Arm Chair Thrillers' a BBc series shown in about 1978/79!!!Phew!! Also I remember being really upset and scared by Godley and Cream 'Under your Thumb Forever' a girl commiting suicide as I recall,sniff,sniff...its all coming flooding back....Nurse,the screens....!:blah:

nicktf said:
The Unexplained magazine had a lot to answer for...Plus the picture of the ape/monkey with really long arms (?Loys Ape?) - I still don't like that one...

Is this the photo of the dead monkey with its head propped up by a stick under its chin? If os I know what you mean, there was something creepy about it.

My variation on the Toilet Ghost was a creature (not sure if it was a monster or ghost or whatever) but it was always sleeping when I went to the loo, and I had to make as little noise as possible during hte process to avoid waking it up. This meant undoing my zip with painstaking slowness, peeing against the side of the toilet bowl rather than directly into the water, gently tearing off sheets of loo paper without making too loud a ripping sound.
Then it was time to flush the thing - crunch time. I had to flush it, but this would of course wake up the thingy. Still, it was unavoidable, so I just had to make the necessary preparations - door open, light cord in one hand, and in one action I'd flush the loo, yank to light off, and leg it downstairs before the thingy (now fully awakened by the noise of the flushing toilet) had chance to get me.

When I was around 5 or so, my mother used to tell me that unless I was tucked up in bed, the 6 o'clock Horses would come and take me away (6 o'clock was my bedtime). I had the image of this herd of jet black horses galloping o'er the hills and moors (despite the fact there are none around here...) seizing me and dragging me away to whatever shadowy realm they inhabited. It absolutely terrified me, and I made sure I was in bed on time!

I eventually got over it when my bed times got later, and my mum changed it to 8 o'clock Horses. I figured that, if the horses came according to my bed time, and my mother could change the time, then she would be able to control the horses and make sure they didn't kidnap me. Strange logic, but it worked!

Oddly enough a while ago I was talking about childhood fears to my boyfriend and I mentioned this, and he said when he was little he was told the same tale! Except for him it was the Midnight Horses. Even if he wasn't in bed, he'd lie down and close his eyes, pretending to be asleep, just in case... :D

I used to do the old "flying leap" into bed routine lest the monster that lurked under there grabbed my feet ... I think that came about after something that was on TV where people had made movies (on old 8mm in them days) and one was made by a young boy which featured a huge hairy hand under a bush that grabbed people as they walked by and killed them ... by gaw that lad had issues

My younger brother had a fear of the 'window tapper', except his window-tapper was a giant spider. I remember one morning, soon after his window-tapper fear began, he awoke to find a huge orange garden spider had spun a large and beautiful web right outside his bedroom window. Convinced this was the window tapping culprit, he begged my father to destroy the web and kill the spider.My father did remove the web, but being a bit of a softie toward the animal kingdom, he allowed the spider to live, and sent it on its way.The following morning when my brother awoke, the same spider had returned sometime during the night, to spin another web in the same window. My poor brother was of course mortified.

Now me, on the other hand. My childhood terror started out as a vague fear of the 'thing under the bed'. As a child I couldn't sleep at night with any limbs hanging off the bed, for fear that something might reach up from under the bed and grab me. At some point this fear seemed to evolve into something more gruesome, and I became convinced that there were corpses of people living (well not LIVING, being corpses, but you know.. they moved) IN my bed, inside the mattress. And some nights I could hear them scratching from the inside, trying to get out. I still remember lying awake at night, paralysed with fear, listening to the scratching sound from inside my matress. I used to hate going to bed at night, and on weekends when there was no school, would often stay awake until sunrise, avoiding sleep (by watching horror movies all night! of all things). Couple this with the spooky practical jokes my father used to play on us kids, and its no wonder I'm now hopelessly mentally warped.

I can't remember having any childhood fears for anything imaginary - I only feared real things, such as dogs and creepy C of E vicars.
My older sister, on the other hand, was scared of the dark - so I always had to turn off her light once she was in bed. :roll:

In our famaily, children were terrorised by tales of the Wonga-wonga bird that used to fly around looking for small children who refused to wear their shorts or pants. Should the bird spot a miscreant it'd fly down and peck the offenders willy off! We knew this was true coz my Dad said they lived in those big factory chimneys and when smoke came out, it was the Wonga-wonga birds cooking the willies!

Oh, and when we saw shop window dummies with no clothes on and limbs removed, my mum said that's what happened if you ate too many ice lollies.

And they say I had a strange childhood!
:lol:

Lobelia Overhill said:
... I think that came about after something that was on TV where people had made movies (on old 8mm in them days) ...

Are you thinking of programmes like Screen Test, with Michael Rodd. They used to run a young film makers' competition and there was a little section in each programme when they'd show some of the entrants.

I remember one where there was a boy ill in bed, in some kind of delerium. His mum left the room, and as she did the dressing gown fell off the back of the door. Then a sinister atmosphere came over the room. A malevolent-looking sort of ventiloquist dummy's head stared down from the shelves. Then - the pant-filler - the dressing gown started to crawl across the floor towards the boy's bed. At this point they stopped it and returned to the studio, where we were informed that they couldsn't show any more of this film as it was too gruesome. It scared teh living arse off me at the time, but I always wondered what happened in the rest of the film.

Perhaps the original 8mm is still out there...?

Ah now! That's really freaky, cos I used to have nightmares about my dressing gown coming alive on the back of the door and trying to pull me off the bed.

My dad had hung a kid sized sombrero on the door as well, and it used to look like a big beaky head in the half light through the curtains. Scary.

Odd, but even though I was terrified of the damn thing at night, I could leap out of bed and slip my dressing gown on no problem in the morning.

Funny how things like that scared you as a kid. I tried to explain the sombrero thing to my mate and he damn near laughed me out of his flat. Mind you, he used to think Rogue Trooper from 2000AD lived in his wardrobe, so, you know.... :roll:

Jolly Jack said:
Ah now! That's really freaky, cos I used to have nightmares about my dressing gown coming alive on the back of the door and trying to pull me off the bed.

My dad had hung a kid sized sombrero on the door as well, and it used to look like a big beaky head in the half light through the curtains. Scary.

Odd, but even though I was terrified of the damn thing at night, I could leap out of bed and slip my dressing gown on no problem in the morning.

Not only as a kid.

When i was an undergrad I used to hang my long coat off to the left of the my bed in my room in halls. I woke, worse for wear, several times to think the grim reaper had my hourglass to hand. Silly boy that I am.

Back