• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

China Pro-Gamer Retires At 23, Cites 'Ill Health'

AnonyJ

Captainess Sensible
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire
Blaming gaming and e-sports for his lack of sleep, bad diet and type 2 diabetes Jian Zihao has retired at the grand old age of 23.

"China's most famous e-sports player, Jian Zihao, has officially retired from gaming aged 23, citing ill-health.

He had been a professional gamer since 2012, playing League of Legends under the name of "Uzi".

His decision to quit was announced on Chinese social media site Weibo, where he has five million followers.

Gaming addiction is seen as a big problem in China and the government often links it to ill-health in children.

In November, it imposed a curfew on online gaming for under-18s, banning them from playing between 2200 and 0800.

In a message to fans, Uzi - also nicknamed "Mad Dog" for his aggressive playing style - said: "I regret to inform you all that I am proudly making the decision to retire.

"As a result of staying up late for years, a fatty diet and being under insurmountable stress, last year I found out that I was type-2 diabetic."

He went on to say that he had changed his work schedule, exercised and "taken medicine", but that his situation had not changed.

"My mental state is not as good as it was before," he said.

"The doctor has told me that if I continue there could be serious complications. Thank you to my fans for your support and companionship all these years.""

It put my own mild habits gaming-wise into perspective. A bit of SimCity, Age Of Empires or any old time-management PC games for an hour a day & I'm happy!

Maybe he has simply grown up?

I have heard it happens to people.

(Not to me, yet).

Being a successful gamer can make you money through direct sponsorship as well as people advertising on your social media.

It's not chicken feed. People make their living out of this - You do have to spend an awful lot of your time sitting on your arse and that's what's caused him to make changes.

Back