• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

China: The Tomb Of The First Emperor (The Eighth Wonder Of The World)

China's first emperor launched an obsessive search for the elixir of life before dying aged 49 in 210 BCE, new archaeological research has revealed.

Someone told me a kind of ancient astronaut theory to do with this: that aliens put up the Chinese emperors to finding the elixir of life for their own purposes (something to do with harvesting minerals from earth) and gave them some special technology in return. I wasn't clear if this idea was the plot of a sci-fi novel or something that some people actually believe.

Someone told me a kind of ancient astronaut theory to do with this: that aliens put up the Chinese emperors to finding the elixir of life for their own purposes (something to do with harvesting minerals from earth) and gave them some special technology in return. I wasn't clear if this idea was the plot of a sci-fi novel or something that some people actually believe.

Would make an interesting novel.

220 More Terracotta Warriors Found in Chinese Emperor’s Tomb

Source: ancient-origins.net
Date: 1 January, 2020

Chinese archaeologists have found over 220 terracotta warriors in the Mausoleum of the First Emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang, adding to his enormous army of soldiers for the afterlife. The find is unique as the new warriors came with five different official titles, including senior military ranks, and a new military rank dubbed “lower than the lowest”.

The Terracotta Army is a collection of earthenware sculptures depicting the army of the First Emperor, mirroring the ranks, uniforms and weapons of real soldiers of the Qin dynasty (221-206 BC). They were interred with Qin Shi Huang around 210 BC and were designed to defend him in the afterlife. It is believed that he was obsessed with achieving immortality.

The army of clay figures was uncovered in Xi'an, north-west China in the 1970s, completely by chance and they have fascinated the world ever since. The latest discovery came after a decade of pain-staking excavations at the site.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/terracotta-warriors-0013079

Well, after that last post of mine I got a degree in Archaeology.

(My trowel is itching...)

I have been reading `Ancient Origins` It seems to be a combination of some very interesting stuff and Woo.

And the audience dont seem too scholarly `educated beyond their intelegence` sort.

We wont talk about the advertising.

What do you lot think?

What do you lot think?
Your first post on this topic... 2004?

Respect!!!

Congratulations on your Archaeology degree.

If I were younger, that's exactly what I would endeavour to achieve at University.

Do you perhaps live in China, or elsewhere in Asia?

Your reference to, 'Ancient Origins' - is this related to an extraterrestrial influence?

And may your trowel itch forever. :friends:

You should try it, its good fun.

Im in GB.

`Ancient Origins` is an online mag, yes?

No Trowel! I am not a field archaeologist (the diggy sort) Thats a young persons job.

I do Experimental archaeology which is Fortean in itself.

`Ancient Origins` is an online mag, yes?
Now understood (thanks also Gordon).

I've become increasingly prone to watching, 'Ancient Archaeology' documentaries on YouTube.

Some of the constructions are bewildering in their sheer technical proficiency.

A particular aspect I find perplexing, are the stonework carvings.

What you. .. not have only one attempt at such an accomplishment?

Thing is... I haven't seen one yet which has been, 'crossed out' and the stonemason has started again. :)

Last edited:
Probably they were chosen for the job because they were the best and made no mistakes?
Absolutely. I would be most interested to see some evidence re the evolution of their craft.

Presumably, they practised same for many years.

I haven't come across any material focusing on this. :)

I should think that if you mess up on a big stone, you turn it into a smaller stone, instead of discarding it.

I should think that if you mess up on a big stone, you turn it into a smaller stone, instead of discarding it.
I was wondering about the documented genesis.

Where are those artefacts which demonstrate a progression from naive carving to the exquisite, arguably works of art, we find.

Guess our terracotta army is a prime example. Is there no trace of previous workmanship, as the artists endeavoured to elevate their skills?

Understandable, if most of the stones were reused, etc.

You wouldn't expect to find the prototypes in the grave surely. They'd have been made in some workshop and the good ones transported to the grave site.

You wouldn't expect to find the prototypes in the grave surely. They'd have been made in some workshop and the good ones transported to the grave site.
In the case of the Terracotta Warriors they are basically made of mud so the ones that don’t work presumably a bit of water and you recycle the raw materials.

It's precisely that workshop and similar, where I wish there was more available in the archaeological records.

The main tumulus / tomb contains a miniature model kingdom of unified China with mercury rivers and lakes and the ceiling inlaid with precious gems. There were lamps fed by huge vats of whale oil to burn perpetually. There are booby traps, too, including crossbow traps etc. Who knows how much is still functional.. Mercury has been detected outside of the tumulus. If still intact, there are some likely some very amazing things in there.

The main tumulus / tomb contains a miniature model kingdom of unified China with mercury rivers and lakes and the ceiling inlaid with precious gems. There were lamps fed by huge vats of whale oil to burn perpetually. There are booby traps, too, including crossbow traps etc. Who knows how much is still functional.. Mercury has been detected outside of the tumulus. If still intact, there are some likely some very amazing things in there.
Yeah, hope they get a bit further in their excavations whilst I’m still around to be amazed by it.

Just came across this and exactly the type of historical analysis I was hoping for.

The Truth Behind How the Terracotta Army Was Built

It's an extract from the full Channel 4 documentary:

Secrets of the Terracotta Warriors

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/secrets-of-the-terracotta-warriors/on-demand/57443-001

You might have to download the Channel 4 app beforehand.

If, like myself, you haven't seen this before, it's well worth taking the time.

I haven't seen one yet which has been, 'crossed out' and the stonemason has started again.

Stone is reused and the bad face is turned inwards. All sorts of fragments turn up in eg rubble filling, for example within pillars.

Nae bother hen....

Didnae take it to heart.

Maybe see you again sometime.

Screenshot_20200103_230926_compress44_resize_2.jpg

Back