Chinese Hardware-Hacking

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Are there any brands except Samsung which are not made in China?

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man
Just a thought though; if we're genuinely concerned about Chinese technology having some sort of sinister "back door" built it, which could compromise national and personal security, is it really a sensible idea to let the Chinese build the Hinkley Point nuclear reactor?
A lot of folk (me included) said this at the time.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Just a thought though; if we're genuinely concerned about Chinese technology having some sort of sinister "back door" built it, which could compromise national and personal security, is it really a sensible idea to let the Chinese build the Hinkley Point nuclear reactor?
No.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man
Quite. It's anecdotal but it was said (during the Telecoms boom of 1999-2001) that Huawei's initial products looked a 'lot like Ciscos', and it look just like Chinese engineering students got their degrees in the USA, worked for 'West Coast Tech' companies and then went home...allegedly.

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
Look here, in my professional life, I've dealt a lot with Huawei. I didn't work for them, just to make that clear, but - I know them reasonably well.

Here in Australia, they were banned from bidding on building the 4G and 5G networks. Because the Government doesn't trust them.

But - you have a WiFi router at home? Chances are, it's a Huawei. You have an internet dongle for your laptop? Chances are, it's a Huawei. And to make matters worse, the companies that were/are allowed to build the 4G and 5G networks don't actually make their own network gear. They buy it, and re-brand. Now have a guess who they buy it from - at least to a large degree? Yup, that's Huawei.

Don't ask me how I know - but it's a fact.

All this "banning" is just window dressing. The vast majority of our internet traffic goes through at least one Huawei built component.

(Hi Guys! :deny:)

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Lenovo is at it too, but apparently just in China.

I know some people stopped buying thinkpads once Lenovo started making them, partly for quality reasons and perhaps because of paranoia.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Look here, in my professional life, I've dealt a lot with Huawei. I didn't work for them, just to make that clear, but - I know them reasonably well.

Here in Australia, they were banned from bidding on building the 4G and 5G networks. Because the Government doesn't trust them.

But - you have a WiFi router at home? Chances are, it's a Huawei. You have an internet dongle for your laptop? Chances are, it's a Huawei. And to make matters worse, the companies that were/are allowed to build the 4G and 5G networks don't actually make their own network gear. They buy it, and re-brand. Now have a guess who they buy it from - at least to a large degree? Yup, that's Huawei.

Don't ask me how I know - but it's a fact.

All this "banning" is just window dressing. The vast majority of our internet traffic goes through at least one Huawei built component.

(Hi Guys! :deny:)
FWIW my SKY fibre router (Netgear) was made in Vietnam.
In any case I guess a boycott of Huawei mobiles and Chinese technology as far as possible can't do any harm can it?

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
FWIW my SKY fibre router (Netgear) was made in Vietnam.
In any case I guess a boycott of Huawei mobiles and Chinese technology as far as possible can't do any harm can it?
Certainly not. I'm just concerned that people will think we are safe because of the "ban", when really we are not. But as someone recently said, the internet was always a spy network waiting for a police state.

By the way, we are not talking about possible future events. This is already happening:

How China diverts, then spies on Australia's internet traffic

Internet traffic heading to Australia was diverted via mainland China over a six-day period last year, in what some experts believe may have enabled a targeted data theft.
The diverted traffic from Europe and North America was logged as a routing error by the state-owned China Telecom, according to data released for the first time by researchers at Tel Aviv University and the Naval War College in the US.
https://www.smh.com.au/technology/h...ralia-s-internet-traffic-20181120-p50h80.html

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I don't know if it's been mentioned but China has a large stake in developing mobile and internet infrastructure for many countries in Africa.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I don't know if it's been mentioned but China has a large stake in developing mobile and internet infrastructure for many countries in Africa.
China offered to build a cricket stadium (Viv Richards' Ground) in Antigua in exchange for the rights to have a power monopoly on the island.
The cricket stadium was thrown together on the cheap and is considered a danger to both players and spectators. The highly controversial Wadadli power station has resulted in Antuguan power bills going through the roof.
Beware the Chinese bearing gifts!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I think my Sky router is made by D-Link in Taiwan.
This laptop is made by Lenovo. I've had to remove all of Lenovo's bloatware. Recently had some weirdness with one of their hidden bits of software...had to remove that as well. Otherwise, it's a good laptop. No Huawei bits as far as I can tell.
My advice is to remove all bloatware or buy a PC/laptop that does not have it at all in the first place.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
I'd rather have the Chinese spying on me than the Americans.
Really? I can't imagine why. The USA has a lot more "rule of law" to stop Security services over-reaching than China does. Don't get me wrong, I don't think US domestic surveillance is a great thing, but better the USA than China. If the USA goes full totalitarian like China, I may change my mind... and migrate, come to think about it.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
There was that whole NSA thing...
Yeah, the NSA is a "whole thing", but they are still governed by laws and accountable. The whole English speaking world is in an alliance called the 5 I Agreement (5 Eye). It involves the following spy outfits:

ASD Australian Signals Directorate (Australia) CIA Central Intelligence Agency (USA)CSE Communications Security Establishment (Canada)
CSIS Canadian Security Intelligence Service (Canada) FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation (USA)
GCHQ Government Communications HeadquartersUnited (UK) GCSB Government Communications Security Bureau (New Zealand)
MI5 The Security Service (UK) MI6 Secret Intelligence Service (UK) NSA National Security Agency (USA)

It involves the ECHELON system https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

Originally set up to stop the USSR, it is now often monitoring domestic electronic traffic to stop terrorism. Of course now Putin is flexing Russia's imperialist muscle, that is likely to change back to something closer to its original purpose.

Certainly not. I'm just concerned that people will think we are safe because of the "ban", when really we are not. But as someone recently said, the internet was always a spy network waiting for a police state.

By the way, we are not talking about possible future events. This is already happening:

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/h...ralia-s-internet-traffic-20181120-p50h80.html
Looks like Japan will be the next state to ban Huawei hardware.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....8fe98a-fc69-11e8-ba87-8c7facdf6739_story.html

The public boycott seems to be having an effect too now, with Huawei shares worth only half their value at the start of the year.

markrkingston1

Ephemeral Spectre