• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chinese Hopping, Sticky Rice-Ophobic Vampires

Re: Hopping Chinese Vampires

ogopogo3 said:
But as I became more seasoned in Chinese cinema I discovered that that's how it is. In that country, the vampires really do hop.

So I've just watched my 300th Hong Kong movie featuring hopping vampires. Yet they never explain...why do they hop?

Well, why DO they, goddamnit? Anyone? It's eating at me. Emps should know.

And if there's an expert on the subject, can you go a little more into the Post-It Note spells that they slap on their foreheads?

I get the general idea of the Post-It Note spells, but I could stand to learn more.

I've merged the thread with the existing one (as they are from folklore they probbaly deserve to be here rather than just in Fortean Culture) and it answers most of your questions but just in case:

1. They hop for various reasons - either due to rigor mortis (although as we know that fades) or due to theur being Yin-heavy and getting a shock when they come into contact with the Yang of the ground. As with a lot of things this seems to be largely made up and gets changed to suit the films or just on a whim.

2. The Post-Its - as far as I'm aware there is no great depth to them and the symbols are usually just nonsense. Favourite means of getting the blood: chopping off a chicken's head or just biting the first tow fingers on your right hand.

I think the key is not to worry too much about it all and let it wash over you ;)

Here's the creepy song associated with geung si (vampires) in Hong Kong - it crops up in a lot of movies. If you hear ghostly children singing it in the dead of night, watch out. (The doo-doo-doo bit is the folk song: I think the male singer's lyrics are new and for a movie).

My girlfriend also told me that when she was a child, there was a playground game of vampires. It was like hide and seek but the vampires had to hop to their hiding place, which took a long time. The vampire hunter either stabbed them in the heart with a sword (ruler) or slapped a post-it note (magical scroll) on their forehead, whereupon the vampire had to stop hopping.

This was in the 90s, when vampire dramas were all the rage on TV and in movies.

I've looked everywhere for the Greek word for a fear of rice. There doesn't seem to be a formal medical term, but ryziphobia is the best guess.

I've looked everywhere for the Greek word for a fear of rice. There doesn't seem to be a formal medical term, but ryziphobia is the best guess.
Bang on (this phobia wiki may not count as a scholarly source. It also lists 'YouTubephobia')

I just saw this in a temple in a Chinese town in southern Thailand: this box is sealed with the same kind of yellow scrolls written in blood that are used to disable vampires. Unfortunately I have no idea what's in the box.

IMG-20190205-WA0016.jpg

Back