• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chingle Hall

A

Anonymous

Has anyone stayed at chingle hall and is there anything spooky there?

Granada TV covered a sponsored thing where nurses stayed overnight here, probably 10+ years ago.
The reporter got very, very serious when he said he'd never go in there again. Don't know what the poor bloke saw but it must have terrified him.

There's an episode of Ghosthunters on the Discovery Channels devoted to this building.

I've never been there myself, but a friend of mine visited there a few years ago (though not overnight). He said that they had a photo there of something like a demon looking into one of the windows. I've never seen this printed anywhere. Anyone know anything about it?

Chingle Hall and Samlesbury Hall, which are quite close to each (about 5 to 10 miles) are often quoted as being very haunted houses.

"The Walls of Chingle Hall
Just off the Goosnargh to Whittingham Lane, is one of the most haunted and wrote about houses in Lancashire, Chingle Hall. A cross-shaped house, it was built by the de Singletons about 1260, surrounded by a moat and approached over a low bridge.

The Singletons lived in the Hall until 1585 when an heiress married into the Wall family. Here the family lived and in the room over the porch a son was born, destined to be St John Wall. Life in his childhood was difficult, the Walls being Papist and compelled to send John to Douai for his education by the Jesuits.

Years later he returned, as a Franciscan missioner. He moved around the West Midlands and eventually executed at Worcester in 1679, becoming a martyr. His severed head disappeared allegedly secretly returned to his birthplace.

The ghost of a male cloaked figure is often seen in the birth chamber of St John Wall and the door has an unnerving habit of opening and closing. The figure has been witnessed crossing the bridge, entering the porch and ascending the stairs and manifesting its presence by rappings and tappings. Often it causes flowers to shake in their vases, pictures to dance on the wall and the occasional dislodgement of objects.

The hall also has strange currents of air – icy cold breezes in warm rooms and smoke issuing from unexpected places.

Recent investigations of the Hall by the BBC were unsuccessful, for whatever reason recording equipment refused to work but a tape recorder captured approximately sixty seconds of anomalous screaming from the Hall." Lancashire Family Hauntings 2002

I live about five miles from the place, and people are always holding sponsored sleepovers in there, raising money for charity. None of them have ever reported having any ghostly experiences though.

Red Dalek said:
Don't know what the poor bloke saw but it must have terrified him.

A bunch of nurses in their nighties. Strange man.

Chingle

I got the phone number for the place a month or so ago, but for some reason, the owners had postponed most visits until Easter 2002. I think they had a bereavement (sp) in the family.

Theres a group of us who would love to stay there. Anyone know of any other 'haunted houses' that you can spend the night in??

Chingle

Does anyone know of any other haunted houses you can stay the night at???

Try Plas Teg onthe Mold toWrexham road in North Wales.Very spooky and very haunted mansion.

There's quite a few haunted houses to stay at in the UK.

I can recommend Chillingham Castle and Gosforth Hall Hotel, Gosforth, Cumbria.

Both have websites.

Yes. The chap who organizes ghost tours around Penzance is now offering group visits to Pengersick castle, near Penzance. I can find out more if you like. pm me. ( i don't want to instigate ads on the boards!)

There's the Ettington Park Hotel, near Stratford-Upon-Avon, which was visited by Carol Vorderman for the BBC's Out of this World series a few years back. I can't remember the room no., but a witness who was on the show, and who had witnessed the apparition only weeks before, described the tormented-looking and silently screaming figure he encountered outside his door late one night. I'm sure it's possible to book the same room, but the price of a night's stay might scare you more than the ghost!

There's an adjunct to this story. In the library, a book is said to be found on the floor every morning, open to the same preface text. I think it may be from Poe, and goes something like this:

A happy place, t'was said, in days of yore,
But something ails it now. The place is cursed.

A few months ago I tried to find this place and just ended up driving up and down one strip of main road and couldn't find the place. Does anyone have any detailed directions. Preferably a GPS lat/long coordinate?

Ettington Park Hotel

I think thats where the 1960s version of "The Haunting" was filmed. Russ Tamblyn recounts a spooky tale about the place on the recently released DVD.

Mention of Chingle Hall on another thread prompted me to Google it, what a blast from the past. Here are some spooky anecdotes about the place, if you weren't aware of it:
Anecdote-a-rama

I think it might have been a bit forgotten recently because it's now private property and the current owners have no interest in the paranormal.

The girl calling herself Hollie describes the incident which sounds almost identical to the one I saw while there (posted on another thread). It would be amazing if it is the same incident and she was in the group of people I was with helping with the renovation.

About 2002/3, the hall was sold to a man who wanted to capitalise on its Paranormal reputation. Basically, he wanted to turn it into the "Disney World" of haunted houses (this is someone else's quote, not mine). However, soon after he bought it, he declared that it was not haunted and sought to suing the previous owner for misrepresentation.
During this period, the new owner was still allowing Paranormal groups in and charging them a hefty fee, and also allowing researchers in. Indeed, I was invited to stay in 2005 by one guy who was known to the old and new owners and was allowed overnight stays while he researched the ghosts. He ordered that his ghost group should never mention the place by name in case this jeopardised their access to the property. Instead it was called "the place that must not be named."

Isn't that more a problem that the paranormal cannot be bidden on cue? But difficult to bring in a legal team on something that legally doesn't exist.

About 2002/3, the hall was sold to a man who wanted to capitalise on its Paranormal reputation. Basically, he wanted to turn it into the "Disney World" of haunted houses (this is someone else's quote, not mine). However, soon after he bought it, he declared that it was not haunted and sought to suing the previous owner for misrepresentation.
During this period, the new owner was still allowing Paranormal groups in and charging them a hefty fee, and also allowing researchers in. Indeed, I was invited to stay in 2005 by one guy who was known to the old and new owners and was allowed overnight stays while he researched the ghosts. He ordered that his ghost group should never mention the place by name in case this jeopardised their access to the property. Instead it was called "the place that must not be named."
Interesting about the misrepresentation. The opposite of cases in the US where apparently in some states, it's actionable if you fail to disclose, when selling a property, the fact that it is haunted. Quite how anyone in either case would be able to provide a provable defence would be interesting to know.

A friend stayed there a few years back, he showed me some photos of himself
taken by his brother with what I can only describe as a Cavalier standing behind
him, they said that it was only when they looked at the photos that they saw
him.

So, bringing my fabled mathematics ability to bear, this would be the unnamed place that Will Storr stays in towards the end of his estimable book, wouldn't it?

Back