• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chingle Hall

Did Will mention a guy called David Vee? He was very pally with the Hall's owners and could get access where no one else could.

Did Will mention a guy called David Vee? He was very pally with the Hall's owners and could get access where no one else could.
Yes, he devotes a fair amount of the book to him, in fact.

Actually, I assumed it was David you were referring to in the quote that follows, and I'd planned to ask you if you thought Storr's depiction was a fair portrayal of the man. For the record, I think it's not entirely flattering, but ultimately quite sympathetic and understanding. I don't know how much the characterisation has been moulded to suit Storr's narrative, though.
I was invited to stay in 2005 by one guy who was known to the old and new owners and was allowed overnight stays while he researched the ghosts. He ordered that his ghost group should never mention the place by name in case this jeopardised their access to the property. Instead it was called "the place that must not be named."

Last edited:
Yes I was referring to David. I can't remember what Storr wrote of him so I must re-read it. Incidentally, Vee and Mark Webb had a falling out with the producers of the first series of "I'm famous and frightened." They were aghast as to what it was actually turning out to be like (I think the producers misrepresented the show)...eventually, Vee and Webb's contribution was gradually whittled down as the series progressed.

Yes I was referring to David. I can't remember what Storr wrote of him so I must re-read it. Incidentally, Vee and Mark Webb had a falling out with the producers of the first series of "I'm famous and frightened." They were aghast as to what it was actually turning out to be like (I think the producers misrepresented the show)...eventually, Vee and Webb's contribution was gradually whittled down as the series progressed.
What did you make of David Vee? (Assuming that you're willing to share, of course.)

Also, to get back on topic, did you take him up on his invitation to stay at Chingle Hall? And if so, what were your impressions of the place?

He seemed like a nice guy, but struck me as being a bit gullible. He believed in vampires and werewolves which put me off. His brother was a bit of a shit, fleecing people of their money. It's because of that that I never went to chingle.

I think that HMRC took an interest in their activities a good number of years ago. I have no idea who owned it back then.

Back