• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chips (French Fries; Fries)

So if I'm getting this right, we all agree that the standard French fry everywhere is McDonald's size, and standard British and Australian chips are like steak fries, only a bit smaller.

BTW, Nathan's in the US (the restaurant that hosts the big hot dog eating contest) have a nearly unique style: crinkle cut, but more the size and overall shape of British/Australian chips, served with a little two-pronged plastic fork so you don't get grease or ketchup on your fingers. They offer a frozen version in supermarkets as well.

View attachment 46765
The two pronged chip fork has always been a staple of the humble chippy in the UK, ours are made of wood though

5_3280_Original_Wooden-Chip-Forks_b01c2b.jpg

Proper chips

View attachment 46768

Proper French (Belgian) fries

View attachment 46767
Now you're just making me hungry!

Luckily in a few hours' time my dad's coming round for dinner and we've got beef wellington from Cook (cookfood.net), potato dauphinoise, broccoli, leeks, carrots and onion gravy. Toast and pate starter, lemon cake for dessert. All accompanied by a Montagny white wine and a red from Australia's Margaret River.

I like to make sure my dad eats well!

Last edited:
No idea what 'potato tornado' are though
I think they have been put through one of them 'spiralizer' type of doohickeys before being deep fried.

Trans-Atlantic language check
Our 'crisps' are your 'chips'.
Our 'French Fries' are your 'Fries' (as in "Do you want fries with that" in the style of the thin fried potato sticks common in fast-food joints).
Our 'chips' are what you would probably most likely call 'hand cut' or 'thick' fries, but our 'chip-shop chips' or 'chippie chips' are different in that they are twice cooked, at different temperatures, so that they achieve a different texture and crispiness (or at least they are when done properly).
I have no idea what kind of monster would produce the abomination that are 'sweet potato chips' though.

I have no idea what kind of monster would produce the abomination that are 'sweet potato chips' though.
They are only nice if they are thin-cut and are crispy.

Just noticed this conversation has been lifted and rehomed.
(along with the hotdogs digression)
Better stay on topic.
No more mention of celery or rhubarb.

Stuffed with cottage cheese is nice, too.
:botp:
...with some fries.

Why couldn’t you lot start this on any other night when the village chippy is open. used to be one near us with a coal fired range best chips for miles around

There's an open brewery near me with a bar attached that serves great food.

The problem is that they cook their chips in 'truffle oil'.

I've never had truffles before, but these chips taste horrible as a result.

Back