• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chips (French Fries; Fries)

As mentioned elsewhere - how about celery thrown in the bin?

I find Chips from the fish shop boring and bland unless you have lots of salt and vinegar and curry sauce but have found a Fish and Chip shop that do the old school brown chips and they are yummy as the sugar turns them brown and they always are crispy on the outside and the Cod Bites are the best.
Best Fries for me is McDonalds as have a nice buttery taste and I don't add extra salt on them anymore.

Going back to British chips, there are some people trying the damndest to keep our country great.

FB9fP88XEAUlNs9.jpeg.jpgFB9fRIYWEAEdzY1.jpeg.jpgFB9fR7yWYAIsotI.jpeg.jpg
FB9fS3QWEAEH8hA.jpeg.jpg

Why are they expecting good amounts of chips in Wetherspoons?

Best Fries for me is McDonalds as have a nice buttery taste and I don't add extra salt on them anymore.
In the U.S., the "buttery" taste is from beef flavoring. I wonder what they put on them in the rest of the world.

Going back to British chips, there are some people trying the damndest to keep our country great.

View attachment 46810View attachment 46811View attachment 46812
View attachment 46813
It is a very male thing, measuring one's chips, isn't it?

In the U.S., the "buttery" taste is from beef flavoring. I wonder what they put on them in the rest of the world.

Beef flavouring here too I've read.
Edit; they haven't used beef here since the mid 90s apparently.

Last edited:

US McDonalds fries ingredients

Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [wheat And Milk Derivatives]*), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (maintain Color), Salt.

UK McDonalds ingredients

Potatoes, Blend of Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (predominantly added at beginning of the potato season). Prepared in the restaurants using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil. Salt is added after cooking.

there are some people
Who must be builders (because they've got measuring tapes with them) and have far too much time on their hands if they can sit around in a Wetherspoons of a morning measuring their bleedin chips.
Get back to the building site and get on with your work you workshy, lead-swinging, obese, wasters.

Here is a basic idea of chips (US fries)
NOTE: In American parlance the ones labeled 'chips' in that illustration are standard / ordinary "french fries." As noted earlier, the ones labeled "standard cut" are not - and have never been - 'standard' fries.

Who must be builders (because they've got measuring tapes with them) and have far too much time on their hands if they can sit around in a Wetherspoons of a morning measuring their bleedin chips.
Get back to the building site and get on with your work you workshy, lead-swinging, obese, wasters.
Or retired. If you eat at ‘Spoons expecting quality you’ll invariably be disappointed. Fills a hole though.

Will someone for god sake lock and delete this thread,
I cant resist looking and when I do I fall about laughing and then feel hungry.
:omr: :rofl:

Will someone for god sake lock and delete this thread,
I cant resist looking and when I do I fall about laughing and then feel hungry.
:omr: :rofl:
It was quiet for three years and then some blithering idiot mentioned the vast aray of chips that are now sold and started it up again.

Oven chips are always a disappointment. I think they’re reconstituted then shaped into a chip shape, not actually bits of chopped potato. Texture is a bit powdery - not good.

It’s akin to Pringles - mashed up, sprayed into uniform shape. They’re not really crisps although they masquerade as such.

Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [wheat And Milk Derivatives]*), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (maintain Color), Salt.

UK McDonalds ingredients

Potatoes, Blend of Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (predominantly added at beginning of the potato season). Prepared in the restaurants using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil. Salt is added after cooking.
Yeah that beef stuff caused a major issue for the empire
about 150 years ago. Not surprised they haven't forgotten.

I can't remember whether I've told this tale before.

I used to live in a village that was so small, the chip shop was the Chinese takeaway as well. They only had one fryer. As a result, the chips tasted of spring rolls.

Or retired. If you eat at ‘Spoons expecting quality you’ll invariably be disappointed. Fills a hole though.
I find Spoons Pizza's, Burger's, Buttermilk Chicken Burger's and Breakfast nice and better then some offerings I have had from independents and the Real Ales are spot on to.

How good one is likely depends on how much of the other you’ve had.

UK McDonalds ingredients

Oil. LOTS of oil.

I find Spoons Pizza's, Burger's, Buttermilk Chicken Burger's and Breakfast nice and better then some offerings I have had from independents and the Real Ales are spot on to.
Fair enough. We can only speak as we find. My local ‘Spoons went from being fine & dandy & the place to go years ago to steadily worsening with each revamp/refurb, from having an interesting layout with various booths, to having everything ripped out, ending up as an open plan abortion with the ambience of a train station waiting room, & from having people who knew how to keep real ale to people who had no clue. In it’s last few years it invariably had quite a good selection of ales but they were all without exception flat, some flat as a pancake. How they managed this I’m not sure. It’s now no longer a Spoons.

I think it was one of the first Spoons to open & before they went PLC was the heyday. Cheap funky decor of old books, farm implements etc bought in job lots at auction.

The people running it post PLC really knew how to fuck things up & corporatised it.

@ChasFink @Floyd1

This chip shop in Holborn (Central London) fries them in beef dripping.
It's won lots of awards.

download.jpg

As for my thoughts on chips -

Yuca Chips (Cassava) - not bad but too heavy.

Sweet potato chips - no, just no. I like grilled sweet potatoes, a lot, but not as chips.

Think French Fries - better than nothing, but too little potato filling and usually too salty.

Chip shop fat chips, made from normal potatoes - Yes. That's how I want them, with bits of peel left on too. Ketchup and mustard. Bit of vinegar sometimes too.

Wading into this thread to say I cut up a Cortland apple today and sprinkled the pieces with sea salt. It was delicious but not the same as curly fries from Skip's, a local seasonal hamburger joint. Also, I think I remember seeing potato tornadoes at a fair.

Fair enough. We can only speak as we find. My local ‘Spoons went from being fine & dandy & the place to go years ago to steadily worsening with each revamp/refurb, from having an interesting layout with various booths, to having everything ripped out, ending up as an open plan abortion with the ambience of a train station waiting room, & from having people who knew how to keep real ale to people who had no clue. In it’s last few years it invariably had quite a good selection of ales but they were all without exception flat, some flat as a pancake. How they managed this I’m not sure. It’s now no longer a Spoons.

I think it was one of the first Spoons to open & before they went PLC was the heyday. Cheap funky decor of old books, farm implements etc bought in job lots at auction.

The people running it post PLC really knew how to fuck things up & corporatised it.
Thats a shame and my ex local used to be okay through the week but had a mix of people some good, some you could put up but now its just coked up kids and its a shame but I go to 4 other ones within a 10 mile radius which are in lovely buildings and fine locations and have a broad but good customer base and and some don't let in sports caps and tracksuits.

When I were a kid my Dad would go to King Neptune in Mill Hill on a Friday night and we would get Fish & Chips for our dinner.
They did the best chips. Then one day they won a national award for their chips. Subsequently there would be a queue out the door, dozens of people long. That was when we stopped having their Fish & Chips on a Friday. He tried other establishments but none were up the King Neptune standard.

Back