• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chips (French Fries; Fries)

Lol.... The spoons chip FB page features one of my locals , in Halifax the next town ( and where I grew up).

Spoons food locally is not bad . Can't complain for the price , pint included! I like their carbonara pizza s with white sauce , the Tennessee burgers , and the chicken tikka masala curry meal. Steak night good too. The clientele isn't too bad , deffo a rougher crowd in the Halifax one than here in Hudds , where we have 2 spoons in the town! . (The HX one has a lot of regulars who drink from opening till close , how do they afford it I think ) Mind you I only ever go in on a sat/sun late aft/tea-time. Maybe different at night.

Also some UK chippys definitley do fry in beef dripping. I tried such chips at a chippy in Scar'bro this year. Very good.

The one in Chesterfield Road, Newquay does.

Highly reccomended

Lol.... The spoons chip FB page features one of my locals , in Halifax the next town ( and where I grew up).

Spoons food locally is not bad . Can't complain for the price , pint included! I like their carbonara pizza s with white sauce , the Tennessee burgers , and the chicken tikka masala curry meal. Steak night good too. The clientele isn't too bad , deffo a rougher crowd in the Halifax one than here in Hudds , where we have 2 spoons in the town! . (The HX one has a lot of regulars who drink from opening till close , how do they afford it I think ) Mind you I only ever go in on a sat/sun late aft/tea-time. Maybe different at night.

Also some UK chippys definitley do fry in beef dripping. I tried such chips at a chippy in Scar'bro this year. Very good.
Tennessee burger?

Ah so it's the bourbon that makes it Tennessee. I've heard of a meatloaf recipe that keeps the meat moist by marinating it in bourbon. What is that pink stuff that seems to be billed as bacon? Not a recognizable cut here.

It's bacon plus saturation turned up on the photo, I suspect.

Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey is made about 30 miles from me in a small town called Lynchburg, Tennessee in Moore County.

Jack Daniel’s started in 1866 and Moore County ok’d whiskey making, but public drinking alcohol in Moore County is outlawed.

Try to figure that one out !

I find Wetherspoon's burgers to be very under seasoned and dry, also the buns are not up to the job, the have a tendency to disintegrate, I much prefer a juicy GBK steak house smoky bbq beer burger.

tsri-Steakhouse-Smoky-Barbecue-Beer-Burger.jpg

I find Wetherspoon's burgers to be very under seasoned and dry, also the buns are not up to the job, the have a tendency to disintegrate, I much prefer a juicy GBK steak house smoky bbq beer burger.

View attachment 46887
Thats why I like the Chilli Jam on the Burgers or the Ultimate Burger I find nice....never heard of GBK.

I blame you lot for this, so we are sat on a car park eating chips,
then tap tap tap on what sounded like the car roof, both looked round
nothing no one near the car, tap tap tap, what the bloody hell is that?
still nothing to see, tap tap tap Grr bloody gull knocking on the bottom
of the door after a chip, clever little sod.
:omr:

View attachment 46887
I hate it when I order a burger from somewhere and the bread bun disintegrates. I think that's something to do with how the bun's defrosted?.

I blame you lot for this, so we are sat on a car park eating chips,
then tap tap tap on what sounded like the car roof, both looked round
nothing no one near the car, tap tap tap, what the bloody hell is that?
still nothing to see, tap tap tap Grr bloody gull knocking on the bottom
of the door after a chip, clever little sod.
:omr:

I bet you gave him the finger.

Reactions: RaM
If your Valentine loves chips / french fries this new product is the perfect gift. Its original run is completely sold out, but you can win some via contests on social media.
Idaho Potato Commission releases limited-edition potato perfume

The Idaho Potato Commission announced it is celebrating Valentine's Day and the state's signature crop with a limited-edition product: potato perfume.

The IPC said the fragrance, Frites by Idaho, is made from distilled Idaho potatoes and essential oils and is designed to smell like a fresh plate of French fries. ...

"Whether you're at a drive through restaurant or dining in, it's near impossible to not grab a fry and take a bite before you dive into your meal. The smell is too good to resist," IPC President and CEO Jamey Higham said in a news release. ...

The commission said the $1.89 bottles of the fragrance sold out quickly on the IPC website, but social media users can still enter an Instagram contest to win free bottles.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/02/10/Idaho-Potato-Commission-Frites-perfume/6501644518013/

Edit to Add:

Here's the IPC webpage about its Frites perfume:

https://idahopotato.com/shop/product/frites-by-idaho/

Here's the link to the Instagram contest offering the remaining bottles as prizes (US residents only):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZuVtTduHub/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited:
Apparently today (13 July) was National French Fry Day here in the USA, and a New York restaurant recognized it by setting the Guinness record for the world's most expensive fries. ...

In case you missed last year's inaugural offering of the world's most expensive fries, the New York eatery will be offering them again for National French Fry Day (13 July).
World's most expensive French fries returning to New York eatery

A New York restaurant announced a $200 plate of French fries certified as the world's most expensive by Guinness World Records will be returning to the eatery for National French Fry Day.

Serendipity3 on Manhattan's Upper East Side earned a Guinness World Record for the world's most expensive French fries when chefs cooked up Creme de la Creme Pommes Frites, a plate of fries listed for $200. ...

The restaurant said the record-breaking fries are returning to the menu for July 13's National French Fry Day.

The fries feature ingredients including Chipperbeck potatoes, Dom Perignon Champagne, J. LeBlanc French Champagne Ardenne Vinegar, cage-free goose fat from France, Guerande Truffle Salt, truffle oil, Crete Senesi Pecorino Tartufello cheese, shaved black summer truffles from Italy, truffle butter, organic A2 A2 100% grass fed cream from Jersey Cows, Gruyere Truffled Swiss Raclette and a topping of 23-karat edible gold dust.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...ch-fries-Serendipity3-New-York/7511657310392/

If your Valentine loves chips / french fries this new product is the perfect gift. Its original run is completely sold out, but you can win some via contests on social media.

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/02/10/Idaho-Potato-Commission-Frites-perfume/6501644518013/

Edit to Add:

Here's the IPC webpage about its Frites perfume:

https://idahopotato.com/shop/product/frites-by-idaho/

Here's the link to the Instagram contest offering the remaining bottles as prizes (US residents only):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZuVtTduHub/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
In Hull, this is a Friday night.

My rules regarding Chip-shop chips.

1) The use of cardboard cones/boxes, polystyrene trays is an automatic death sentence.
1a) Chips have to be wrapped in paper.
2) Both the fish & chips taste better when picked up/eaten with fingers.
2a) If chips (& rice) are covered in gravy/curry sauce, then a fork or spoon may be employed.
2b) Mushy peas are a serious accompaniment to F&C. (get some, if offered)
3) Cheap white bread* with butter (never margarine) make the best chip sarnies. (putting red or brown sauce on chips is allowable).
4) Malt vinegar only!!!!!.
5) Back street chippies, offer better value & possibly taste better than high street/sea front offerings.
6) Enjoy.

*Thickness of slices is left up to you.

I remember the last chippy with a coal fired range, best chips ever.
Then one day the door was open but nobody there, the range still warm even some chips still in the pan, next day they put a bulldozer through it and it was gone, all good things come to a end.

I remember the last chippy with a coal fired range, best chips ever.
Then one day the door was open but nobody there, the range still warm even some chips still in the pan, next day they put a bulldozer through it and it was gone, all good things come to a end.

You might like this?

Brick by Brick: Rebuilding Our Past - Fish & Chip Shop.​

Last edited:
Reactions: RaM
My rules regarding Chip-shop chips.

1) The use of cardboard cones/boxes, polystyrene trays is an automatic death sentence.
1a) Chips have to be wrapped in paper.
2) Both the fish & chips taste better when picked up/eaten with fingers.
2a) If chips (& rice) are covered in gravy/curry sauce, then a fork or spoon may be employed.
2b) Mushy peas are a serious accompaniment to F&C. (get some, if offered)
3) Cheap white bread* with butter (never margarine) make the best chip sarnies. (putting red or brown sauce on chips is allowable).
4) Malt vinegar only!!!!!.
5) Back street chippies, offer better value & possibly taste better than high street/sea front offerings.
6) Enjoy.

*Thickness of slices is left up to you.
Personally I don’t care what they come in. Double cooked chips are ace - not a fan of a soggy chip. The only place I know for sure does them is a chippie on the front in Margate. Gravy or curry sauce on chips is an abomination & should get you thrown out of any self respecting chippie for even asking.

At least gravy/curry is better than melted bright yellow plastic squares on chips!.

At least gravy/curry is better than melted bright yellow plastic squares on chips!.
Assuming you’re talking about cheese, I can see this working - cheese & spuds being amenable bedfellows. I’ve never seen it offered as an option though.

Back