• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chopped children!!

gothgurl

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
When i last went out on a young carers trip we did a spooks night and as we arived i could have sworn i heard children screaming, when we got into the forest we were told a myth/ledgend about this travler cutting little children up and using them to make her own. Me and 3 friends saw a white mist about a 2 year olds hight and its said that to this very day theres 100's of children looking for there bodys!!

Thanks for reading this please post your appinion or ideas on this

Dead Romance/Goth Gurl xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chopped children

Hi Gothgurl!

Where abouts was the location of this wood - it might be possible to research any local legends more fully?

I have a copy of an excellent volume entitled Lore of the Land which may mention it.

It would be interesting to place the murderer in a time frame - do you know which century these events were supposed to have taken place? I take it that when you say 'traveller' you don't mean a modern day New-Age type?

gothgurl said:
....a myth/ledgend about this travler cutting little children up and using them to make her own.

Is "traveler" used here in its Gypsy meaning?

And am I reading this correctly, that she was supposedly stitching together little Frankenstein monsters out of "spare parts" from the children she'd murdered and mutilated? That's a concept I've never come across before.

kids to make kids...something akin to this...

When I was young and home in Ireland, we were told a tale to scare the 'beJeebus' out of us, before we were sent to our beds, which thankfully were not lonely places, at least 4 of us per bunk! But anyhoo, it went something like this...

...An old man/woman who lived in the woods were very poor and when it came to the maintenance or decorating of the 'hovel' they had taken to abducting passing innocent children with which they would make various items needed for said chores. One of the things they used to do was make a 'paste' from the groundup remains of these children, this paste they then used to wallpaper over the walls which concealed the secret rooms where the unused remains were stashed. The plaster used to seal up these 'rooms' was also a product of the same 'groundup kids'!

It was said that on a really hot day, the paste/plaster would begin to run like treacle causing the wallpaper to slide from the walls and it was at times such as this that you could hear the screams of terror and pain from the 'minced' victims who had gone into the upkeep of their 'charnel' house!
The owner of the house were said to do this as they had become bitter and envious when they'd been unable to have offspring of their own and the tongues of their neighbours had made disparaging remarks on this subject!

When I said '4 to a bunk', I was'nt exaggerating! When home to visit family in Ireland [a very Roman Catholic Nation], we stayed with my Auntie Lizzie, who at last count had 18 children, so when my 3 siblings and I arrived to stay for a fortnight, the 4 single beds there were packed to the endboards!
I have since wondered about this tale which seemed to be common knowledge amongst every other child/adult I knew in the area and accepted as 'Gospel', by one and the same! Could it be a tale meant to warn against the ravages of childlessness?

Whilst the perpetrators of the horrors in your tale go on to make themselves some 'FrankenKids' out of the flesh and bones of the unfortunate who fall foul of them. It does seem that they too were bereft of children and sought to remedy it somehow!
Are you also relating a tale with its origin in 'The Emerald Isle'? Or is it that the 'Reach' of the Holy Roman See, knows no borders when either by the cruelty of nature or 'Sinfulness' of Contraception, your duty to produce more 'Catholics' is not met!

All I know is it kept me very wary of the woods and old men or women walking anywhere near them! Two of us passing the local woods should anyone 'strange' be about, could within seconds be 'screaming' much to the bemusement of the poor soul causing this ungodly commotion! By yourself you just went for the world record for the mile! Hoping the smoke that left your fast receding heels did'nt attract their attention!

Ah the 'fear of God!' I remember it well! Sleep well anyhoo!

Tom Slemen tells the story of "Soap Sally," an old Liverpool, England, woman who sold home-made soaps from door to door.

What "Sally" never revealed to her prospective customers, of course, was that the fat in her soaps came from young girls she'd waylaid and murdered for the purpose.

She was eventually apprehended, tried, convicted and apparently executed.

Slemen even provides a photograph of the murderess.

So I originally "bit" on this one, until I discovered that "Soap Sally" is a fairly wide-spread Urban Legend. It's even related, as a strictly local event, in the American South.

There was a late 1940s episode of the American network radio thriller THE SHADOW entitled "The Wig Makers of Doom Street," in which an incredibly nasty old crone and her adult son create female wigs for sale in their shop by murdering and then scalping young women.

Fictional broadcasts of this sort can easily affect later Urban Legends.

Frankenhooker is a classic, and Frank Henenlotter is a genius!

Yes by travler i did mean of the gypsy type, oh and th location was at sober hill farm in yorkshire

And just a big thank you to everyone that has posted a comment it helps me to look at different veiws of this Thanks again,

Goth Gurl xxx :twisted:

Sounds a bit like someone was inspired by Philip Pullman's Northern Lights...

The ritualistic killing of children to use in magic (whether it be folk or high) is an old and complex theme that runs through witchcraft literature from classical times right up to the modern day in folklore - such as your tale.

I suggest Norman Cohn's 'Europes Inner Demons' as a good starting point, it's quite a cool book.

Back