• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Christian Bitcoiners: People Led To God By Crypto

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is one of the strangest paths to personal revelation I've ever heard ...
The People Who Are Finding God Through, and in, Bitcoin

Tomer Strolight had never believed in God, but in 2013, he discovered Bitcoin.

He was immediately fascinated. “The more I studied it, the more I realized that this is an incorruptible system,” he says, “that this is a system that has justice built into it through math and truth.” And the more Strolight—who is 52 years old, lives in Toronto, and now works as a Bitcoin educator—learned about Bitcoin, the more he became convinced that the world’s first cryptocurrency was not solely the work of man. “This is the genius of God,” he says.

That’s why, on a recent spring day in Miami, Strolight decided to get baptized. ... Strolight’s faith in Christ was resolute. Through Bitcoin, he had found God.

Earlier that day, Strolight was part of a panel of converts who had found Christ through crypto. That panel was part of the first annual conference for Christian Bitcoiners, Thank God for Bitcoin, whose attendees included a prolific writer on Bitcoin with more than 300,000 followers on Twitter, the founder of the now famous Bitcoin Beach, and Tim Tebow, a devout evangelical and former professional football player. Authors of the book Thank God for Bitcoin organized the conference.

As the price of Bitcoin has crashed more than $40,000 in the past year, at times down more than 70 percent from its peak value, some have prophesied the death of crypto. Perhaps there is no better rebuttal to these predictions of cryptocalypse than this sect of Christian Bitcoiners, whose crypto-conviction echoes a more familiar, unshakeable religious faith. ...

“Bitcoin adoption becomes a conviction,” writes Melder, who baptized Strolight, in his self-published book, The Christian Case for Bitcoin. “A conviction based in truth and fact. And like our faith, conviction will steady us in times of volatility or doubt.” ...
FULL STORY: https://slate.com/technology/2022/07/christianity-bitcoin-cryptocurrency-baptism.html

In case you need proof ... Here's the website for the Christian bitcoiners' first conference, held last April.

https://tgfb2022.com

This February 2022 article at The Conversation examines why people have called Bitcoin a religion.
Why are people calling Bitcoin a religion?

Read enough about Bitcoin, and you’ll inevitably come across people who refer to the cryptocurrency as a religion.

Bloomberg’s Lorcan Roche Kelly called Bitcoin “the first true religion of the 21st century.” Bitcoin promoter Hass McCook has taken to calling himself “The Friar” and wrote a series of Medium pieces comparing Bitcoin to a religion. There is a Church of Bitcoin, founded in 2017, that explicitly calls legendary Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto its “prophet.”

In Austin, Texas, there are billboards with slogans like “Crypto Is Real” that weirdly mirror the ubiquitous billboards about Jesus found on Texas highways. Like many religions, Bitcoin even has dietary restrictions associated with it. ...

So does Bitcoin’s having prophets, evangelists and dietary laws make it a religion or not? ...

As a scholar of religion, I think this is the wrong question to ask.

The dirty secret of religious studies is that there is no universal definition of what religion is. Traditions such as Christianity, Islam and Buddhism certainly exist and have similarities, but the idea that these are all examples of religion is relatively new. ...
https://theconversation.com/why-are-people-calling-bitcoin-a-religion-175717

A pox on prosperity theology in all its vile forms.

OTOH, I've heard some say that Q ANON is the first true new religion of the 21stC. What do we think about that?

It's a bit worrying how their eyes light up as the mouse pointer hovers over their pictures. Like watching Ancient Aliens. :)

Doesn't their book warn about serving God and Mammon somewhere?

Cryptocurrency relies on new people buying into it. I guess that someone has identified that the large population of fairly devoutly Christian, small-government types in some areas of the US is a great source of new suckers, pardon me, investors. If for ideological reasons they can be convinced to buy and hold onto the stuff, rather than immediately selling it when the dollar value goes up, then so much the better.

Back