Christmas 2019

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Here is the Texas Instrument's semiconductor crystal Christmas tree from around 1959
Wow! Thanks!! Everything sure is bigger in Texas...
https://flashbackdallas.com/2017/12/20/the-texas-instruments-semiconductor-crystal-christmas-tree/
SEMICONDUCTOR CRYSTAL CHRISTMAS TREE

In a 12-step cycle, the crystalline atoms light in sequence, illustrating the many planes in which they are oriented in a semiconductor crystal.

This demonstrator applies to Germanium, Silicon – both of which TI uses in its semiconductor products – Diamond, and compound semiconductors such as Indium Antimonide, Gallium Arsenide, Silicon Carbide and Zinc Sulfide.

The central yellow and blue round atoms form a “unit cell,” or basic crystalline building block.

The white round and blue conical atoms represent alloying elements producing semiconductor action and occurring only once in a thousand crystal segments this size.

Green and red atoms would be of different elements in the case of a compound crystal, or the same element in the case of a simple crystal.

MAGNIFICATION – 500 MILLION TIMES LIFE SIZE

Model manufactured by: The Thermoelectric Materials Group, Central Research Laboratory

TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INCORPORATED

Indrid Drood

Loitering with Ludic Intent
Wow! Thanks!! Everything sure is bigger in Texas...
https://flashbackdallas.com/2017/12/20/the-texas-instruments-semiconductor-crystal-christmas-tree/
SEMICONDUCTOR CRYSTAL CHRISTMAS TREE
The central yellow and blue round atoms form a “unit cell,” or basic crystalline building block.

The white round and blue conical atoms represent alloying elements producing semiconductor action and occurring only once in a thousand crystal segments this size.

Green and red atoms would be of different elements in the case of a compound crystal, or the same element in the case of a simple crystal.

That actually reminds me of a "mind machine" I designed (only my contraption was 666 TRILLION TIMES LIFE SIZE).

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist

Oh, yes....wait....(particularly for the benefit of those of us on The Forum that're old (school) tech-heads).....that marvellous Texas Instrument Xmas Tree is perhaps the first real-life embodiment of LSI that we've seen, since staring at a sectioned slice of doped semiconductor under the microscope last century!!
<cue slow hand-clap>

That actually reminds me of a "mind machine"
Interesting....can you remember why it needed to be a trillion times the Number Of The Beast?

Picking a classic chip physical die-size (appropriately, for a Texas Instruments 5400/7400-series integrated circuit) of 3.9mm, that scaling would result in a (macro)processor chip dimension along each edge of approximately 2.6 billion kilometres (this hybrid illustration presumes something like the traditional-width 8um channels of a class 6502 processor, and a classic 2-D 'road' architecture).

So your 'Mind Machine' chip itself might be the size of the distance from us on Earth, out to Uranus (1.6 billion miles)

Indrid Drood

Loitering with Ludic Intent
Interesting....can you remember why it needed to be a trillion times the Number Of The Beast?

Picking a classic chip physical die-size (appropriately, for a Texas Instruments 5400/7400-series integrated circuit) of 3.9mm, that scaling would result in a (macro)processor chip dimension along each edge of approximately 2.6 billion kilometres (this hybrid illustration presumes something like the traditional-width 8um channels of a class 6502 processor, and a classic 2-D 'road' architecture).

So your 'Mind Machine' chip itself might be the size of the distance from us on Earth, out to Uranus (1.6 billion miles)
There was no chip. The team had determined the size of an image held in the mind (possibly in units of Planck length) in consultation with associates of C. Shannon and others, and – for reasons lost in the mists of time – a magnification factor of 666 trillion was agreed upon as most practicable. I am hesitant to say much more about it since the work was very much outside the bounds of orthodoxy, and most of those involved would publicly deny any connection with it. The results were... interesting, but in the end it was acknowledged that the phenomena observed fell not within the province of science, but of magic.

Anome

Bibliomancer
That's it then - hot-cross buns are now available in the Co-op
They turned up on Boxing Day in some stores here. Actually, at my local Coles, they've had them since at least November for some reason. At the same time they were selling the Christmas cakes and puddings and biscuits and stuff.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
They turned up on Boxing Day in some stores here. Actually, at my local Coles, they've had them since at least November for some reason. At the same time they were selling the Christmas cakes and puddings and biscuits and stuff.
Yes, they're all over the bloody place. Now I quite like a good hot cross bun, but I don't want to get too sick of the things too early.

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
I noticed them well before Christmas, and, for the first time, Cadbury's Creme Eggs in late November/early December.