Christmas 2019

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I've always found bizarre, the Japanese (modern) tradition of eating Kentucky Fried Chicken on Christmas Day. It's a rare day that I eat KFC. To me it's one of those foods that smells so good but is a constant disappointment once your resolution crumbles and you give into temptation.
kfc.png
From December 1974, KFC Japan began to promote fried chicken as a Christmas meal, with its long running "Kentucky for Christmas" (Japanese: クリスマスはケンタッキー) or "Kentucky Christmas" (Japanese: ケンタッキークリスマス) advertising campaign.[4] Eating KFC food as a Christmas time meal has since become a widely practised custom in Japan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC_in_Japan

michael59

Ephemeral Spectre

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
I've always found bizarre, the Japanese (modern) tradition of eating Kentucky Fried Chicken on Christmas Day. It's a rare day that I eat KFC. To me it's one of those foods that smells so good but is a constant disappointment once your resolution crumbles and you give into temptation.
View attachment 21604

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC_in_Japan
KFC, like Christmas, always sounds like a good idea, but is always a deep regret while it's happening...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
KFC. To me it's one of those foods that smells so good but is a constant disappointment once your resolution crumbles and you give into temptation.
Yup, I feel like that about all chips (or fries as t'Yanks call'em). They smell so lovely with their salt and vinegar,
and you add some ketchup, and they're too hot and you eat one or two and burn your tongue,and then they're suddenly all cold and fatty.
But you eat them anyway because they're not beating YOU!

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Yup, I feel like that about all chips (or fries as t'Yanks call'em). They smell so lovely with their salt and vinegar,
and you add some ketchup, and they're too hot and you eat one or two and burn your tongue,and then they're suddenly all cold and fatty.
But you eat them anyway because they're not beating YOU!
Exactly. Can't leave chips behind. Not a single one. There are starving children in Africa & China who'd kill for a leftover chip, or so I was told when young. These words of wisdom have stuck with me throughout the years and I still adhere to them to this day.

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
I've always found bizarre, the Japanese (modern) tradition of eating Kentucky Fried Chicken on Christmas Day.
It's not really that odd, when you consider it from the Japanese perspective. Japan was strictly traditional until the post-war years in which it was forced to adopt new practices and customs under occupation. Even then you can well imagine a certain resistance to adopting the enemies' traditions. But Japan wholeheartedly adopted industrial process introduced under the period of occupation and improved upon it becoming highly successful and slowly they began to adopt the wider cultural practices of the west. Christmas then, to many Japanese, is just a western holiday on which day you eat some poultry and exchange gifts. Why not KFC? Stripped of all other cultural context, fried chicken is just as seasonal as turkey or goose and it's still a departure from the normal diet of the average Japanese. It also has the 'virtue' of being available. See also the creeping Americanization of Christmas in the UK.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
:( My "serious not-my-worldview" paper this year is The Times not the FT. Beyond New Year, who knows!