Christmas 2021

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I dont want cushions. They do not enhance the sitting experience.

I found a whole set of embroidered cushion covers in Dads wifes kit (dead ten years but still not gone) They will do as a classy gift.

Either that or put on the Cultural Heritage Institutes sofas to vex people.

A marzipan pig sounds wonderful.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
I refuse to encourage a new cushion thread - but .. one is a cushion that's an Xmas present from last year, one is a cushion I chose myself from the charidy shop and one came from my former home.
All totally impractical for sitting on, which I assumed was their function.

View attachment 47794
Hey - you two loved that on purpose !

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I dont want cushions. They do not enhance the sitting experience.

I found a whole set of embroidered cushion covers in Dads wifes kit (dead ten years but still not gone) They will do as a classy gift.

Either that or put on the Cultural Heritage Institutes sofas to vex people.

A marzipan pig sounds wonderful.
I find cushions essential. I prop them in the small of my back so I can sit upright to use my laptop on the sofa. Otherwise I am semi reclining and it's an awkward angle for the keyboard.

......although, maybe, I have just a touch too many cushions...

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I got an email in my break at work today: my daughter's new (still newish) school runs a programme to fulfill requests for Christmas presents from children in local care homes: you are presented with a list of names / sexes / ages...

Anyway, I viewed dozens of them and got a lump in my throat. In the end, I found a girl the same age as my daughter with the same Korean family name and ordered her gift for her.
We have different charities that do this. Our local Christmas Care takes items donated for children up to 16 (I think) as well as food donations and the volunteers make up gift baskets for people and families who have applied (through local social service agencies). Each applicant gets food for a xmas meal as well as items for any children they have in their family.

I used to purchase items for kids who were of similar age to my nieces and nephews. Now I try to get items that older kids might like as I think they are more difficult to buy for. I like imagining what the kid might be like and enjoy that someone's xmas may be better than they expect.

Last edited:

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Do you open presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Day ?

For us it is when we can all get together, and none of us like turkey, so it is ham.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you open presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Day ?
For us it is when we can all get together, and none of us like turkey, so it is ham.

With my family and in-laws the general gift exchange was always performed on the evening of Xmas Eve. This was the general distribution of gifts among all generations and all households. This event also provided a full array of tasty goodies (cakes, fudge, etc.).

The kids had to wait until Xmas morning to discover what Santa had brought them.

On Xmas Day, at midday / early afternoon, there would be an all-hands Xmas feast at the home of the family's patriarch / matriarch.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
This should be on the Queen's Christmas wish list this year:
Corgi bike.jpg

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There is sorta of folklore joke since getting a fruit cake as a Christmas gift is not too popular in the U.S. that one tries to send it on as a “ regifted “ Christmas present.

The funny thing about me is I like fruit cake, but they are different qualities of fruit cakes that I have tasted from bad to really good to some alcohol soaked.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The Santa supply is diminished again ...
Coming to town? Labor shortages could affect Santa appearances

Santa Claus may not be coming to every town this year.

It's all thanks to the sporadic labor market. ...

Industries across the United States have been dealing with a labor shortage this year - and that includes positions for the Jolly Old Elf himself. The tight market has many people across the U.S. unable to book one of Santa's helpers to visit kids ahead of Christmas.

According to a report from KOIN, a professional Santa school in Denver is seeing up to 15% fewer Santas in the region this holiday season, and CNN reports that demand for St. Nicolas to appear is up more than 120% in other areas. ...
FULL STORY: https://local21news.com/news/offbea...ges-could-affect-santa-appearances-11-12-2021

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
The funny thing about me is I like fruit cake, but they are different qualities of fruit cakes that I have tasted from bad to really good to some alcohol soaked.
Me too. :) No icing though. I hate icing.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
WHY is it that you can only get 6 packs of Walnut Whips at Christmas? The In House GP loves them, but I can't find them in the shops at any other time of the year. Last year I hopelessly misjudged, and they were all gone by the time I was looking for them. This year I grabbed a box as soon as I saw them (end of October) and it is now hiding in my wardrobe...

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
WHY is it that you can only get 6 packs of Walnut Whips at Christmas? The In House GP loves them, but I can't find them in the shops at any other time of the year. Last year I hopelessly misjudged, and they were all gone by the time I was looking for them. This year I grabbed a box as soon as I saw them (end of October) and it is now hiding in my wardrobe...

Careful! Does your cat occasionally sleep in the wardrobe?

Ogdred Weary

The Lich-King of Angmar
Reaction score
What was the earliest anyone heard Xmas music in shops this year? I heard a "jazzy" version of one of the carols - I forget which, a few days before Halloween.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I've just seen tinsel on sale in my local Tesco's. It won't be long before Christmas products are all over the shelves.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I can report flashing fairy lights in the window of a house on my way home, which appeared about a week ago.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
Marks and Sparks sell them all year round. That’s where i get my supply from. 3 packs though, not 6 pack. Ocado sell them too if you want to stock up

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Co Op radio is playing Christmas music. I am telling you so you can be forewarned.

They start you off gently, just slipping in the odd, vaguely Christmassy, ditty from the middle of November, and then feed more and more in until it's a non-stop Wizzard and Mariah Carey fest.

We are already fed up with it.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes, Christmas is supposed to be a time of great joy, particularly of those who are getting what they asked for.

Not griping.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Co Op radio is playing Christmas music. I am telling you so you can be forewarned.

They start you off gently, just slipping in the odd, vaguely Christmassy, ditty from the middle of November, and then feed more and more in until it's a non-stop Wizzard and Mariah Carey fest.

We are already fed up with it.
Enjoy.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Yes, Christmas is supposed to be a time of great joy, particularly of those who are getting what they asked for.

Not griping.
When I first saw Scrooge, I thought ‘What a miserable git’.
Now I get the real meaning of the story of a man worn down over the years by unreal expectations, shitty hopes for some tawdry tat, false messages like ‘Peace on Earth. Goodwill to all men‘ etc.