Christmas 2021

Ogdred Weary

The Lich-King of Angmar
Reaction score
I can report the Edinburgh Christmas lights were successfully lit last night. Instead of the normal crowd of 25 000, and flying Santa‘s there were four of us and a TV crew.

Was there a reason - was it not advertised etc?

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Was there a reason - was it not advertised etc?
I'd guess that, like York, the 'switch on' wasn't an event this year to discourage crowds from gathering. They just flick a switch and the lights are 'on'.

Why the Christmas market isn't going to discourage crowds from gathering I've no idea.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I've read that the Met Office is saying that we're in for a mild winter, while the BBC are predicting snow and ice like the winter of 2010.

- And both ways it'll be global warming climate change man-made climate catastrophe!

Merry Christmas, and let's look forward to whatever's going to kill us all next year!

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Came across this article about Grimsby and its christmas trees. Norway sent them a bad tree in 2018.
-------------------------

Norway CANCELS 15-year Christmas gift to Grimsby tradition admitting 'our trees are not good enough for you'​

The municipality of Sortland in Norway have sent a Christmas tree to the town for the past 15 years

By
Connor LynchReporter
  • 06:00, 16 MAR 2019
Grimsby will no longer have a Norwegian Christmas tree in the town centre, as the Mayor of Sortland has written to say that their trees are no longer good enough.

For the past 15 years the municipality of Sortland in Norway have sent a Christmas tree to the town as a holiday greeting, but last year's tree left a lot to be desired, with residents complaining about the state of the dying spruce.

Vast portions of the tree were completely bare, and many felt that it was a bad look for the area, as a Christmas tree should be a positive attraction that brings joy to people and encourages them into the town centre.

As a result, North East Lincolnshire Council was forced to remove it and replace it with a new one.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/...tland-cancel-christmas-tree-tradition-2649891

l’ve just spent thirty seconds Googling: Norway is a country of 365,108 sq. km., of which almost exactly one-third is forest.

They just hate Grimsby.

maximus otter

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd guess that, like York, the 'switch on' wasn't an event this year to discourage crowds from gathering. They just flick a switch and the lights are 'on'.

Why the Christmas market isn't going to discourage crowds from gathering I've no idea.
Exactly, it was not advertised, there was no public component. Last year it was done remotely and this year it was done in person so it was marked as an occasion. Hopefully back to normal at some point!

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Proof or it didn't happen.
Just look at the Royal Mile and you’ll see the lights on!

or do you mean the flying Santa’s in previous years?

If the latter

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/new...y/take-look-best-pictures-edinburghs-17272359

93457AD1-CA8A-459F-9948-35B724CC5135.jpeg

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Doesn't look like we're getting a tree this year -

xmas Tardis 1.jpegxmas Tardis 2.jpegxmas Tardis 3.jpeg

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is confusing, are you getting a Tardis instead of Christmas Tree, I don’t understand ?

Does Dr, Who come with the Tardis ?

How hard is it for a city to put up a Christmas Tree even a small one ?

Thirty five miles from here is Nashville and a lot of the bigger hotels really deck their buildings out with Christmas decorations and lights.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today you can buy a multitude of commercially prepared Eggnog around Christmas.

But back in the day, my mom made her own Eggnog with heavy cream, eggs, sugar, and that special ingredient Jack Daniel’s Whiskey.

She would give me a little taste only and besides being good, I am happy that people in those days did not know about butter fat and cholesterol.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Those of you in the UK who are looking forward to raising toasts and drinking your Xmas cheer may need to be making preparations to avoid having a dry Xmas.
Country where 54 percent of adults drink alcohol once a week may run out of liquor for Christmas

Shops in the United Kingdom could run short of wine and liquor ahead of Christmas because there aren't enough drivers to make deliveries.

The warning was made in a letter sent by the UK Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WTSA) to UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps last week. It was signed by 48 members of the industry association, including champagne and cognac makers Moet Hennessy, owned by LVMH (LVMHF), and Laurent-Perrier.

"This is an urgent issue for our businesses, and it is imperative that [the UK] Government takes immediate steps to help mitigate the impact of the driver shortages crisis before the Christmas period," the letter stated.

The industry wants help with better routing of freight from ports, as well as more regular updates from the government on how quickly it's processing heavy goods vehicle (HGV) driving tests and licenses.

It also urged the government to extend by one year a temporary visa program allowing drivers from abroad to meet shortfalls over the longer term. The three-month program is set to expire on February 28 next year.

"We are already seeing major delays on wine and spirit delivery times which is pushing up costs and limiting the range of products available to UK consumers," WSTA chief executive Miles Beale said in a statement. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/25/business/wine-liquor-shortage-uk-christmas/index.html

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Ah, so they've had no luck getting people to panic-buy turkeys so they're having another crack with alcohol?
The BBC article I read yesterday was less sensational than the CNN piece.

We're not going to run out but there might not be the huge stacks of cheap bottles we normally buy at Christmas and then leave in a cupboard for 30 years.

Cherry B I'm looking at you.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
We're not going to run out but there might not be the huge stacks of cheap bottles we normally buy at Christmas and then leave in a cupboard for 30 years.
Cherry B I'm looking at you.
I haven't even seen Cherry B in 40 years but have spotted it just now online. That's the back of my cupboard sorted for this decade :bthumbup: