Christmas Presents

I'm going to be busy (my pile is on the right)! lordmongrove, your book missed the pic as I'd already started reading it and it was in another room at the time. I'm 100 pages in already and loving it.
View attachment 22110
You have two copies of Boy Swallows Universe, I presume one (subtly different) copy slipped through from a parallel universe?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I got a bunch of books too, autobiographies of Debbie Harry and Lenny Henry, two Paperbacks from Hell (one is basically Rambo vs vampires) and Shrine by James Herbert (soon to be a film). Luckily I only have about a hundred books to read now. Or it seems like it.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Saw this fine Gentle-zebra (a good foot tall) in a charity shop last year but was a too pricey - regretted not buying it of course and it had gone when I eventually went back. Found it again on Christmas Eve at the back of an Interior design shop in my village (same price) - that's Fate that is. My Christmas present to me (one of many).

Zebra_0583.jpg

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
WILD BOAR SAUCE

Adapted from a recipe by my friend Ms Beaton. Goes with all meats, cheese, and on its own on toast. Using the cheapo own brand stuff I estimate two jars of this will set me back just over £1. All my family and friends love it and if I never made anything else ever again...I would still be loved.

Another good thing about this recipe is it goes back into the original ingredients jars...No hunting for new jars....You just get the old labels off.

Jar Marmalade. (can be Orange but does no harm to try some other sort. As I said, I use the cheapo stuff).
Jar Redcurrant Jelly or Cranberry Sauce.
Big dollop of whatever mustard is to hand (optional)

Place all ingredients in a pot and heat very gently, enough to melt them together. Then replace in jars. You can eat this straight away but it will keep.

(Note: I should have simmered it longer to remove excess moisture. I'll probably decant it and reduce it before replacing it in its jar).

maximus otter

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Maximus Otter, oh, you swanky git, with your stainless jam funnel (mine is plastic)

And your swanky ingredients...

How did it turn out? Are your relatives erecting shrines to you? Was that a touch too much mustard?

My preserves went down well, and this winter I made sure I kept back a few jars for my own delectation.

(Yes, I made that mistake before...)

Pontac sauce (made from elderberries and port and really fruity. Mine was more like chutney...I believe the Victorian recipes was more like ketchup in consistency)

Mustard Piccalili.

Eastern chutney (date and orange)

Now you have discovered how easy it is I hope you try something else.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Saw this fine Gentle-zebra (a good foot tall) in a charity shop last year but was a too pricey - regretted not buying it of course and it had gone when I eventually went back. Found it again on Christmas Eve at the back of an Interior design shop in my village (same price) - that's Fate that is. My Christmas present to me (one of many).

View attachment 22145
Wait, is that Schrodinger's Zebra?!

Iris

Justified & Ancient
I had been ill over Christmas so actually opened my presents today as I felt a bit better.
I received a bee motel, some creams and a purse with a coin inside which I thought was strange as it was from N.Z. and although my middle daughter and I were there a couple of months back the daughter who gave it to me hadn't been there for 9 years.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I had been ill over Christmas so actually opened my presents today as I felt a bit better.
I received a bee motel, some creams and a purse with a coin inside which I thought was strange as it was from N.Z. and although my middle daughter and I were there a couple of months back the daughter who gave it to me hadn't been there for 9 years.
Bee motel? .. that sounds good, have you got any pics of it?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
My mum insisted my dad put an insect hotel on the side of the garage to help out the little guys during winter. Me, I had visions of passing birds thinking, cor, a three-course meal!

Iris

Justified & Ancient
1577834095832.png
This is similar to the one I was given. Just have to find the right place for it now. It's for solitary native bees which are quite small.